2. have Ford repair the paint at no cost (1 reports)
  3. repaint (1 reports)
2004 Ford Mustang body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Mustang:

2004 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Dec 012015

Mustang GT Convertible Anniv Ed V8

I bought this special 40th Anniv Edition of Mustang Gt with only 12 miles on it. Approx 1 year ago, I noticed clear coat peeling on rear spoiler. It has since started peeling on the truck, also. Paint jobs are expensive and I don't want this car looking like CRAP! It is interesting to note that many others are experiencing the same problem. This was a very expensive car and I think to maintain the future value in their anniv edition, Ford should recall and repaint at no extra expense. Please help my once beautiful car. She has only 71,000 original miles and is in great condition having never been wrecked, and no repairs!

- , Germantown, TN, USA

Aug 012013

Mustang 40 year anniversary

The car is in near perfect condition and have never had real trouble with it; just the usual brakes and tires. But now the clear coat on the front bumper is peeling and I'm afraid my beautiful car is going to start looking like junk if I can't fix it. Help!

- , Natick, MA, USA

Apr 012009

Mustang GT

I bought my My 2004 Mustang 2 years ago and the paint on the hood is peeling. As much money as I have paid for this you would think the paint would at least stay on until I have finished paying the car off. I think Ford should act like the men they think they are and allow a recall and repair the paint on the hoods of our cars. It was their people the did the crappy work. What does it take for Ford to admit there is a problem and do something about it?

FORD unstead of Found On Road Dead I would have to say Found On Road Looking like Crap.

- , Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Mustang 40th Aniversary V6

My 2004 is Red and the Clear coat on passenger panel started peeling off. I had the car since 2004 and after taking delivery immediately clayed the car and used a sealant and wax. The car was always garaged and very well maintained. This is just happening on the panel and hasn't spread - but its a few peels. What I did was take fine grit sand paper and feather the edges lightly where the clearcoat is peeling and then use a polish. this seems to have either stopped it or slowed it down.

- , Aspen, CO, USA

Jun 032008

Mustang Limited V6

Having clear coat peeling and paint coming off my mustang. Bought off dealer lot!!! Had It detailed by a excellent detail er that 3 different big auto dealers use to try and get everything buffed out, everything stood out worse. So I took it to a Ford dealer and was first told it was my fault because someone probably hit me from behind in a parking lot shattering my clear coat, that sent me fuming. There is no evidence of my bumper being hit. So I took it to a body shop. They told me that because the clear coat was peeling so bad on the hood, side and rear of the car the only way to fix it is to sand it down and repaint, because not only is the peeling happening but bubbling and this sand grit feel is going on.

I then when to the original Dealer I bought it from, their body guy agreed that yes it does need to be repainted but wouldn't say if it was factory related. I then asked the sales department to get the district manager on the line, explained the situation and am suppose to be getting a phone call back.

Is their anyone else with a 04 or 05 mustang having this problem????

- , Rochester, WA, USA