2005 Ford Mustang electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Nov 142011

Mustang 6-cyl

When car is shutdown, the speedmometer needle sticks at different points on the dial. When running the speedometer registers speeds not consistent with actual speed as measured by gps. Ford motors has elected to repair this defect by replacing the entire instrument cluster at an estimated $770 price. An internet search will show that this problem -- caused by defective stepper motors -- is pervasive for this model year. I believe that knowing one's speed is critical to driving safely for the driver, the car's occupants and pedestrians (e.g. school children) near by.

- Stevensville, MD, USA

Jun 012009

Mustang

The fuel gauge began to act erratically before ceasing to work altogether. I took the car to fairway Ford (placentia, ca) and reported the problem. The service writer dismissed me by saying the repair was too costly and that there was no known universal problem with the 2005 V6 Ford Mustang. He did not document the problem reported on my service record. I have a colleague with the same year and model who has the same problem.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jan 092012

Mustang

The instrument gauges are not working properly. The speedometer will often stick at 0-20mph while it is well over that. The temperature gauge is also stuck on cold even when the car has been warmed up for quite some time.

- Lake Village, IN, USA

Feb 012008

Mustang 6-cyl

The instrument panel in my 05 Mustang has completely failed. In 2008, the gauges would become erratic at times. (tach, speedometer, etc) this has become more problematic over the last couple of years usually only occurring in colder weather. At this point, the gauges have completely failed. Case in point: During the summer of 2011 the car "actually" overheated due to a cracked thermostat housing and the gauge never displayed the issue before the failure. We were fortunate to have picked up on the issue (while driving the car at highway speed) before a fire or other unfortunate event occurred.... or before the car was permanently damaged. When I've consulted with the local Ford dealer ship, (cookeville, tn) they act as if this the instrument panel failure is something new. This issue is posted on every major Mustang forum or support site. Heck, there are even businesses on the "web" that advertise their ability to replace the "stepper motors" that control the gauge functions. Apparently the stepper motors that Ford opted to use in their instrument panels are the cause of the issue. Furthermore I receive customer complaint updates via the carfax web portal monthly. Each update contains dozens of new reports with this problem. So.....the excuse that Ford doesn't know anything about this issue..... doesn't hold water. If Ford wants to offshore its components to 3rd world countries for cheaper labor and parts..... fine. The least they could do is stand behind their products when / if they fail. After all, they should have extra $$$ in the coffers from the savings of offshoring their components. Any help you fellas could provide in pressuring Ford to step up and take care of their problem would be greatly appreciated.

- Livingston, TN, USA

Nov 102010

Mustang

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that none of the gauges on the instrument panel were operable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was advised that the instrument cluster needed replacement. In addition, the dealer advised that the stepper motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage 64,000.

- Northeast, MD, USA

Sep 052011

Mustang 8-cyl

The speedometer, gas gauge and fueling gauge on the instrument cluster has failed. Today the lighting behind the panel started to go out. This is a known common problem on the Mustang with several people reporting to Ford without any response to the public. We paid good money for these cars and this is a safety hazard. I cannot afford the 600+ quote, so I'm using a gps to gauge my speed and I'm having to track my mileage so I know when to get gas. Ford needs to recall and fix before someone looses their life.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Dec 022011

Mustang 6-cyl

All the gauges on my 2005 V6 are failing. First, I had problems with the fuel gauge, which I figured was bad gas (sulfur?) a fuel system cleaner seemed to fix that one. Then it was the temp. First it read hot, now it's stuck on cold. Then the tach and speed got sticky. Anyway, I was told by mechanic buddy the many Ford Mustang 2005 is having gauge problems, and the culprit is the syepper 'motor'. Ford has heard of the problem but won't do anything about it (no recalls) unless you guys do something about it. My son was stop by the police because of the speedometer was displaying the speed incorrectly. This problems needs to be look at. Pleas help.

- Grayson, GA, USA

Jun 152011

Mustang 6-cyl

Failure of instrument cluster and water leak in passenger side foot well. Speedometer non-functioning, fuel indicator non-functioning, and engine temperature gauge non-functioning. Provides serious safety hazard without knowing vehicle speed. Any substantial rain results in water pooling in passenger side foot area, and saturation of fuse box area, which provides concerns for a vehicle-wide loss of electrical power and brake/steering control. I have looked at several online owners' forums and there are numerous cases of this commonly-documented safety problem, but Ford Motor Company refuses to address it until NHTSA issues a recall. I have called fmc, and they refused to address the issue.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 112011

Mustang 6-cyl

I filled up the gas tank and the fuel gauge needle registered past the full level and now is giving erratic readings. The temperature gauge has quit working with needle pointing to the floor.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Jul 012011

Mustang

My fuel gauge on vehicle has quit working and says I have no gas when I have just filled up, the speedometer also goes erratic and says I'm going 120 when actually going much slower, the cold hot gauge either reads hot, regardless of if I just started the car or if its been running for an hour.

- Jasper, GA, USA

Nov 282010

Mustang

Speedometer sticks at zero or any other speed. Seems to be a random malfunction that may or may not be aggravated by weather conditions.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Nov 032008

Mustang 6-cyl

My speedometer is very erratic especially during the cold months. When cold, the speedometer usually reads zero or other times it reads that I am doing 100+ mph when barely moving. When the weather is warm I have no problems at all. I feel that this is very unsafe driving without a properly functioning speedometer. I have read many online forums and this seems to be a very common problem with the 2005 Mustang. Please please please help us 2005 Ford Mustang owners and issue a recall on this problem.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Oct 242011

Mustang

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that the instrument cluster malfunctioned and the gauges were no longer operable. The contact called the manufacturer and was advised that the entire instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Mattoon, IL, USA

Oct 012010

Mustang 6-cyl

Instrument cluster: The RPM and temp gauges do not work. First the RPM gauge stopped working and 1 year later the temp gauge started jumping around to cold and then hot. I have had to pull over to check the engine numerous times and the engine was not hot. Now the temp gauge does not work at all and the gauge points downward as the RPM gauge. This is dangerous. I'm worried the engine may overheat and I will have no indication. I see there are many other 2005 Mustang owners with the same problem. There should be a recall on this.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Oct 242011

Mustang 6-cyl

2005 Ford Mustang. Instrument guage cluster. Gas guage goes from over full to empty and sticks at empty. Tachometer is not working properly, the needle moves with the rpms of the engine but it hangs below the numbers. Speedometer just started not caculating the proper speed, currently it is off by 5-10 miles per hour.

- Clinton, UT, USA

Oct 142011

Mustang

Speedometer stuck below 0.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Sep 292011

Mustang 6-cyl

I just visited an online Ford forum after being quoted $950 to repair my speedometer on my 2005 Ford Mustang. There are 4 pages of complaints detailing the same problem with the same vehicle. Perhaps Ford has avoided a recall by stating this does not effect safety or emissions. However, I got my first speeding ticket in over a decade 2 days after this problem began. Speed control does effect safety, and apparently, if gone without repair, the non-working speedometer effects the transmissions ability to shift properly, which is also a safety hazard. I do not have $950 to repair this problem, nor can I afford to pay the costs of speeding ticket fines, and the rise in my cost of auto insurance due to these fines. Please investigate this problem, as it appears to be a recurrent issue with this vehicle that Ford should take responsibility for.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Oct 012011

Mustang

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact attempted to start the vehicle but it would not start. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the mechanic stated that water had damaged the electrical system and the computer system, which would need replacing. The contact had previously noticed water leaking from under the passenger side seat onto the passenger's feet. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 81,536.

- Willard, OH, USA

Jan 052010

Mustang 6-cyl

All of the gauges in the gauge cluster have stopped working correctly, the speedometer registers over 80 mph when driving 20 mph. Gas gauge was the first gauge to start acting weird and now the gas and all other gauges do not register correctly. This seems to be a common problem and a safety hazzard for this year model and a recall for the gauge cluster needs to be in order for all 2005 Mustang owners.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Sep 132011

Mustang 6-cyl

Speedometer at times sticks or shows the incorrect speed. Even sitting idle the speedometer will show 5 miles an hour or even 20 mph. It's extremely inconsistent, so determining the correct speed is difficult to do. The speed will display both, higher than actual speed and lower than actual speed without ryhme or reason. Additionally the needle moves in a sporadic behavior, like a second hand tic on a clock, rather than a smooth consistent flow. The tachometer appears to also be affected although it's much less noticeable.

- Mckinney, TX, USA