2005 Ford Mustang fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012011

Over time, the vehicle gas tank has developed a condition where filling up the tank prematurely causes the gas pump to shut off prior to the tank being full of gas. Typically after only a few seconds. If you try to engage the pump again, a buildup of pressure can cause gasoline to shoot back out of the tank and all over the ground and the person pumping gas. The only way around this is to fill the tank with the nozzle upside down. Somehow this disengages whatever safety mechanism the gas pump has, and allows the user to pump a full tank of gas. Ford even has a tsb related to this issue. It states something to the point of a design flaw in the gas tank. It's only remedy is to replace the tank, or they literally suggest going to a different gas station. Some pumps are different and that used to work, but at this point there is not pump that I do not encounter this issue with.

- Chester, NY, USA

Nov 022015

When I shift from park or neutral position to drive, the car surges forward. This has happened both when the car is in driveway stationary and intermittently at a stoplight. The date below that is required is incorrect; it has been doing it since I got the car I believe in Feb 2005, but I didn't think of it being a safety issue until it was passed down to my daughter this year; for someone that isn't prepared, it could easily cause an accident

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Sep 092015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that when refueling the vehicle after a gallon of fuel, some fuel would spew out and onto the contact. The vehicle taken to a dealer where they refused to diagnosis or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of failure. The failure mileage was 35,600.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 122013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. While attempting to refuel the vehicle, fuel spewed out during every gallon. The contact mentioned that the fuel gauge worked only if the vehicle was on an incline. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel gauge needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,500.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 052015

When trying to fill the gas tank fuel backed out of the filler tube and would not enter the tank. Gas spilled out onto the ground.

- Depew, NY, USA

Jul 082014

I have a very hard time putting gas in my car. Allows me to only put a little at a time. It is very frusterating. I shouldn't have this problem every time I put gas.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 152013

Dash cluster stops working no fuel, temp, no speed. Sometimes everything stops working. If I restart car it seems to reset its self. When trying to fill up gas tank it won't allow fuel to go in shuts pump off splashes out, found that if I hold fuel nozzle upside down I can get some gas in but takes about 10-15 mins to fill tank. These problems occur every week. I have not received notice yet of recall for airbag. Ford should recall gas tank problem and dash clusters seems like 2005 years have issues!

- Orrtanna, PA, USA

Nov 262014

Mustang 6-cyl

Purchased the vehicle used and every time I go to fill up the vehicle with gasoline it seems to be dificult to insert the nozzle all the way in and gasoline spits out. No record of accidents claims and visual inspection doesn't seem to show any damage to the assembly. No unusual bends in the neck of the receiver where you insert the nozzle.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 012008

Mustang 6-cyl

None of the gauges work. I have to drive pacing myself with other vehicles. Only the icon for gas needed comes on when the gas is low. Starting after about 10,000 miles on the car I have had increasing problems getting fuel in the car. Not just myself, but anyone that tries to fuel the car. I initially started holding the fuel nozzle upside down to get gas and that worked for a few years. (although you look like a dumb ass that doesn't know how to put gas in a car!) this last year it has gotten so bad that I am lucky to get 2 gallons in it, and that is with it repeatedly shutting off. Since day one the right front wheel makes a grinding/clunking noise when I turn the tire in either direction. It makes me feel like the wheel will fall off. My cars body assembly is also crap. The front lower grill has popped off and disappeared. I have seen several, at least 10 other Mustangs of this year missing the same part. The plastic, yes plastic!, screws pop out. The places where the inside seams of the car are supposed to connect are detached. The light enclosure in the trunk will not stay attached. The seat handles fall off. I only have 50,000 miles on this car. Repair shops tell me to wait for a recall, when is that going to happen?

- Santee, CA, USA

Jan 022015

Gas pedal stuck going down hill resulting in auto running off road and over a cliff. The driver is on life support, the passenger paralyzed with a broken back. The pedal stuck one time before and it was not thought to be a recurring problem. As a result of the serious injuries, I am filing for them.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Nov 222014

I got in my car an started the engine. I then noticed my fuel gauge and speedometer were not working at all. I have always taken care of my Mustang an I think Ford should recall the cluster. There's been plenty of 2005 models with very same issue. Please recall the gauge cluster it's the right thing to do for a big name company like Ford.

- Bellwood, PA, USA

Jul 292014

Mustang 6-cyl

Since about a year ago, November 2013, this vehicle has shown multiple issues. To start, it is an automatic 05 Mustang which, the more I read online, the more that I seem to find that many have these exact same or very similar issues. Initially the dash cluster (everything besides the tachometer) was not functioning properly. The speedometer would get stuck at 20 mph but still move acting as though the 20 mph was the 0 mph mark (so 35 mph = 15 mph). More recently the gas gauge has stopped working, it sits at empty even after plenty of gas has been put into it. The temperature gauge also gets stuck often, still moving as the speedometer does. Not too long after these issues started occurring, when I went to fill up the gas tank it wouldn't take the gas as it normally would. Sometimes only a couple dollars worth would be in before it clicked off. After paying closer attention I have also noticed sometimes gas actually splashes out when filling it up even though it is definitely not full. Much more recently the vehicle has worrying issues. At one point while driving on the freeway at 70 mph the vehicle suddenly started to decelerate on its own, even while I was pressing on the gas pedal. I pulled it off to the side, shut it off completely, started it up and it was as though nothing happened. Ever since that incident though it has been running a bit louder and now it seems a possible misfire is happening with one of the cylinders occasionally. The vehicle has a delayed and very hard shift from third to fourth gear. It is not as though the vehicle has not been taken care of, and for a 2005 the mileage is pretty low still. At least one or two of these issues seem to be a safety concern, and it is very obvious after researching online that these issues are prevalent in tons of these exact same vehicles.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jul 012013

Automatic transmission has trouble shifting into low gear. Doesn't want to accelerate after stopping. Sounds as if it is stuck in a gear. Have read many complaints about this online and Ford just claims it isn't their problem. Also, all gauges quit working at approx 70,000 miles. Fuel system is terrible. Will not pump gas past half a tank and spits gas back out while pumping like its full. Causes pump to constantly shut off. All of these are incredibly dangerous and makes this car unsafe to drive.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Mar 022014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the temperature gauge became inoperable with no symptoms of the engine over heating. A certified mechanic replaced the thermostat and temperature gauge. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. In addition, an independent mechanic diagnosed the vehicle where a trouble code was not detected. Recently the fuel gauge failed to operate. The vehicle had not been repaired for either one of the defects. The manufacturer was notified and they informed that there was not a recall related to the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Pawnee, OK, USA

Sep 172009

One incident, driving home from work when car ran out of gas and saw the as gas guage indicator facing straight down, temperature guage and the tachometer was not working. The car ran out of gas on major high way and my daughter alone stuck on the road at 3 am with large trucks passing by. She had believed the car had plenty of gas. The guages are still not fixed properly do not work at 100777 miles.

- Carlstadt, NJ, USA

Jun 012010

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated while refueling the vehicle, the fuel splashed out the vehicle although the fuel in the tank was low. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated it was a defective fuel tank. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 15,000. The current mileage was 28,000.

- Siloam Springs , AR, USA

Mar 212012

Mustang 6-cyl

The instrument cluster on my 2005 Ford Mustang has a shortage or is defective. Based on internet research and a discussion with an authorized Ford dealership and my long time auto mechanic, this is a part that should not fail at 73,000 miles. While Ford has not issued a recall, there is an obvious manufacture defect, as there have been numerous complaints and issues reported. When a gauge (fuel, temperature, battery, etc) fails on this vehicle, the entire instrument cluster must be replaced. This is a costly part and service fee (over $900) for something that should not be defective or have issues with a car of this age. When the instrument cluster signals an issue to the internal computer, the vehicle may go into a "fail safe mode" and the car will not operate. Ford needs to issue a recall for this part and replace it at no cost to the owner.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 142007

I was driving at night at around 30mph when everything electrical went dead in my car including headlights and dashboard but the engine was still running. I was able to drive the car home but could not start it the next morning. Had to flat bed it to the dealership where they told me the whole computer system failed and had to be replaced. This happened 3 more time since then. Each time I was charged $3000 to have it replaced. It shouldn't happen once let alone 3 times. Another recent problem, my engine caught fire causing everything on the left side of my car to be replaced. Ford denied any "real problems they could find". also had my gas tank replaced twice because it wouldn't fill up. And to add to everything, my gearshift needs to be replaced because a little plastic piece that hides the holes when U shift up or down, broke. $600 estimate at Ford. As well as my engine smoking after driving for 2 hours at 65-70 mph. Do not buy a Ford. Iv'E spent over $12K fixing the problems that I never caused. Ford refused to pay a dime or take any responsibility. Too many problems causing unsafe situations for me as well as other drivers and pedestrians around me. ## VIN failed ##

- Chatsworth , CA, USA

Aug 072008

Mustang 6-cyl

Gas gauge stopped working. Always shows empty.

- Canton, OH, USA

Dec 262011

Mustang 6-cyl

Driving on highway engine light came on then fuel gauge went to 0 and speedometer down to 10 miles per hour and gauge flickered back up to 35..almost causing an accident not knowing what was happening. Past 6 months when fueling my car gas pump keeps kicking off, not sure if it could cause a fire, takes 15 minutes to fuel up. I will never buy a Ford again.

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA