2007 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Mustang:

2007 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

May 062016

Mustang

The clutch is slipping at only 10,000 miles, the car cant even make it up a gentle grade with the cruise control on ! it cannot maintain speed it cant handle when you give gas to accelerate to freeway speed when entering the onramp to freeway. This has to be the slowest shelby on the road.

- San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA

Jun 092015

Mustang

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Mustang. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,500.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Jun 302009

Mustang

06/30/09 7973 miles 15 months old brought car to dealer for leak in manual transmission at drive shaft. Seal changed. Brought car to dealer 02/26/13 same leak, seal changed. Car to dealer 02/19/14 same leak, change seal and flange. Flange defective, unable to exceed 30-35 mph. Back to dealer. Two more flanges installed and found to be defective. Picked up 02/28/14. Car to dealer 02/12/15 now out of warranty needs seal, flange and now a drive shaft, cost1100 dollars. Feel if this is the real problem causing leak dealer misdiagnosed for too long. Now I'm stuck paying repair bill.

- Jackson Heights, NY, USA

Oct 152014

Mustang

The vehicle while shifting gears is in 3rd gear is changing RPM's. the RPM's are moving vastly from lower end to top end. The car has very low miles and recently purchased 7 months ago and only placed 3000 miles since purchase. The warranty company will not cover the problem. I reached out to Ford because there are some forums that state this part that is making car do this is the clutch and gives out very early after manufacturing of the car, they said they are unable to help me but if there is a recall they will let us know. We feel this part is defective to give out in 3000 miles since purchase and see there are several people with same complaints online.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 152014

Mustang

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle felt like it was losing power and was not switching gears. The contact turned the vehicle off and once restarted, it was still difficult to shift gears and would not accelerate over 40 mph. The problem recurred 100 times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The diagnosis was that the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Jul 152013

Mustang 8-cyl

This has been a recurring problem that I have been experiencing for quite awhile. I was researching a lunge problem, discovered it is frequently happening to others. It happens when I am going a very slow speed. It has happened in traffic many times which is scary, in my housing developments, we have speed bumps so you must drive slowly and making turns. It just immediately all shuts down and the car stops. I actually try to avoid traffic on freeway because it has happened so many times. I have discussed, in the past, this with my mechanic various times and made sure everything in my car is fine. I have replaced everything and my car is well maintained. Extremely dangerous.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Mustang 8-cyl

In traffic transmission intermittently locks you out of 2nd gear. Ford would not repair under warranty their tech said repair might not resolve the issue and might make the problem even worse. Vehicle is a bit dangerous and unnerving to drive in traffic, especially heavy traffic. Suspension bounces vehicle up and down heavily on the interstate at interstate speeds. Vehicle is a bit dangerous and unnerving to drive at interstate speeds on the interstate, especially if the road is course and curvy.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Aug 282013

Mustang 8-cyl

Affected parts: Clutch. The clutch has required replacement (slipping) three times in 44,571 miles. First problem occurred at approx. 10,000 miles (replaced by Ford under warranty). The second problem occurred at approx. 24,000 miles (replaced by Ford under warranty). The third problem occurred at 44,571 miles and Ford is refusing to do anything, the Ford premium care extended warranty refuses to honor the extended warranty. They now claim it is a "maintenance" issue. My vehicle is a 2007 shelby Mustang GT500 and it is not listed in the above drop down box.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Oct 032012

Mustang

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Mustang. The contact was stopped at a traffic stop when the clutch was released and the vehicle began to jerk violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised that the clutch and the fly wheel would have to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,600.

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

Dec 192011

Mustang 6-cyl

I was driving eastbound on the 91 freeway in California. I went to accelerate and the accelerator revved up and increased my speed to over 90 miles per hour which I had no control of. I realized that the accelerator was stuck and put my car into neutral. I was able to come to a stop on the side of the freeway with the help of a dirt field without doing this I would have crashed and either been killed or I would have killed someone. I contacted Ford corporation about my problem and they insisted that this was the first time they have heard of a Mustang doing this. I researched this online and apparently this is happening alot with the Mustang. My car has only 33,000 miles on it.

- Stanton, CA, USA

Oct 172011

Mustang 8-cyl

I pulled off the freeway into a rest stop area. My foot was on the brake, and only on the brake. I stopped in a parking space and moved the automatic transmission lever from drive to park. The RPM instantly increased from approximately 600 RPM in drive to approximately 6000 RPM in park. I took my foot off the brake pedal and gave the gas pedal a quick tap. The RPM returned to normal, about 750 RPM in park. The dealership inspected the car, but could not find anything wrong. They contacted Ford, who maintained the incident could not have happened the way I described it. They further told the dealership not to perform any repairs unless a similar incident recurred. The dealership thinks the problem is with the fly by wire, throttle body and/or control of the flow system. The consumer had concerns about brake fluid. The owner's manual stated to use dot 3 brake fluid. However, the dealer used dot 4 brake fluid. Updated 11/09/15.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 132011

Mustang 6-cyl

Accelerator stuck when entering ramp off highway. Motor was racing. Tried to brake but brakes were fighting against engine. Had to throw vehicle in to park once vehicle slowed enough but still fought the motor racing. Started car back up and accelerator still stuck to floor. Checked to see if car mat possibly was the cause, but was not. Called for tow truck.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Feb 012011

Mustang

When I start my car in the morning, and it is overcast out or has just rained, my shifter will not go into first or reverse. It takes a few minutes until I can force with all my strength the knob into gear. As I am driving though, I still have a hard time getting it into first gear after a stop, and many time cars have had to go around me into oncoming traffic and a few times have come close to an accident. The first dealer I went to in victorville told me to bring it back when it is acting up really bad. I brought it there one day when it was acting up and they told me they would get to it later. I called them a few minutes before they closed and they said they found nothing wrong, so I insisted to leave it and have them try it in the morning. The next day I called right before they closed again and they informed me everything was working fine. When I went to pick it up, I noticed they had not put even a mile on my car after checking the milage. I drove home and on the way home it was acting up very bad so I went back and told them. The guy that runs the counter went on a ride with me and I showed him when it happened and he said he thinks I'm probably not pushing the clutch down all the way and basically blew it off. I was a little insulted by his assumption of my incompetence, so I contacted Ford corporate about my issue and they said I should possibly try another dealer. A week later when I was getting my oil changed at a shop, they informed me that my water pump had a large leak. I took my car into the dealer in san bernardino, where they fixed the leak, but once again found nothing wrong with my shifter, and also found that my transmission was leaking. I went to a dealer in san diego when my car was still acting up bad, and they fixed my transmission leak, which took 10 days, but said my shifter was working completely fine.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Jul 012007

Mustang

The first indication that there was a problem was when the car would not shift into reverse. I noticed this and mentioned it to the service writer when the car was in for a routine oil change. I was told to try different things to get it to go into reverse more easily. Soon after the reverse issue I started the have problems shifting into gear while driving. The car would not shift into the next gear at times. At some point the car started to slip out of gear while accelerating. This can be dangerous when merging into traffic. I at first thought maybe I was at fault, but soon realized that the problem was with the car. When I investigated the problem I found out that this is a known defect. There was a tsb put out on the model years 2007-2009. Ford never informed us the issues with the transmission and/or clutch. Now they tell us that our 3/36,000 warranty has run out, so that if the clutch is part of the problem it won't be covered. Ford should have informed the owners of this potentially dangerous defect in the car. They obviously knew about it, and did repair many of them. I realize that the newer model years are also having these issues. There should be a recall put out on these cars. There are many shelby GT 500 owners who may not know about this safety issue.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jun 012011

Mustang

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Mustang shelby. The contact stated that the clutch would not engage when she attempted to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed the clutch and fly wheel failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 11,500.

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

May 142010

Mustang

Contact owns a 2007 Ford Mustang. The contact stated the shift cover or tracking fractured and the contact was unable to shift from park to drive. The failure was repaired four times but continued to recur. The manufacturer advised an investigator would be sent to further inspect the vehicle. The failure mileage was 32,850.

- Devenport, IA, USA

May 212009

Mustang

While executing a left turn across a six-lane intersection, I noticed another vehicle approaching the left side of my vehicle at a speed of at least double the limit. I accelerated hard to get out of the way. The throttle "stuck" for an estimated two to three seconds which caused loss of control and impact with a foot high curb at the far side of the intersection. Damage to my car was over $8,000. There have been no repeat episodes to this date.

- Clearlake Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 172008

Mustang

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Mustang. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle jumped and the contact heard a strange noise coming from the transmission. An indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The speed decreased to 45 mph and would not increase when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was towed to the Ford dealer and they found no failures. The contact took the vehicle to another dealer for the same failure, but they refused to make any repairs because there was no warranty. The vehicle is currently with the second dealer. The failure and current mileages were 36,400.

- Corning, NY, USA

Jun 232008

Mustang

Approx. The 10th of June, 2 weeks before my first anniversary of having purchased my 2007 Ford shelby GT-500 cobra, I began noticing some slippage in the transmission during acceleration for passing, etc. I didn't pay much attention to it to begin with, but the slipping steadily worsened. I only work 3 miles from home, so my opportunities to experience the revving and then slippage didn't come up as often as one may perceive. I took it to the local dealership about June 23rd, at which time they checked things out and called me back a few hours later. The first call from the service rep. Told me that the "clutch was almost totally worn-out, and must be replaced." He said he also needed to check on the transmission/flywheel assembly and get back to me shortly. About an hour later his second "call of doom" told me that the flywheel and trans. Would also need replacing. I didn't worry a whole lot, not until I checked my "purchase date" and discovered that my top of the line, A-1, car of the year had elapsed the 12 month mark about one week prior to this discovery! at this time, my top of the line shelby cobra had exactly 10,345 miles on it!! I spoke with the mgr. And asked for a "waiver" since the problems had actually started prior to the expiration of the 12/12,000 warranty. I was told that...in this case...that "waiver" or "free pass" on my having gone 6.5 days past the warranty exp. Wouldn't mean anything anyway! why? well, it seems, the flywheel, transmission, and clutch all fall under the broad and all encompassing term of "normal wear and usage", kind of like tires, wiper blades, etc. My question was (and still is) "please tell me why Ford's top-of-the-line, car of the year, etc. Has a flywheel/trans./clutch assembly that doesn't even last one calendar year"" nobody has yet to answer that query.but guess who had to shell out $2850 in repair fees?" me! the same fellow who was so proud to be driving the latest, greatest Ford Mustang ever produced/sold!

- Dothan, AL, USA