2008 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Mustang:

2008 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Sep 022016

The clutch assembly completely went out and at the same time the braking system went out. The clutch completely disappeared into the dash. I was in the motion of making a right turn on a city street.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 092015

Ford Mustang manual transmission, clutch / brake pedal assembly - failure to function fmea failure mode: Welded pin connecting clutch to clutch pedal broke making in impossible to disengage engine using clutch from transmission. Near crash avoided by evasive maneuver and pulling gear shift to neutral while applying maximum breaking. Occurrence: Estimate 4 - it appears this is a systemic problem as transmission repair facility advised replacement clutch / brake pedal assembly are back ordered / difficult to obtain. Detectable: 10 - not detectable until clutch pedal brakes, functional to non functional severity: 10 - failure of clutch / brake pedal assembly can result in crash with possible death rpn risk factor 400 - death or serious injury may occur as result of clutch / break pedal assembly failure to function. Corrective action requested alert to be issued advising drivers of potential hazard investigation to confirm this clutch failure mode is a systemic problem with Ford Mustangs having manual transmission recall if investigation verifies systemic problem.

- Deland, FL, USA

Sep 222014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the contact heard a grinding noise as the gear lever became difficult to shift from the first gear to the second gear. The contact had to apply excessive force to the gear lever in order to shift the vehicle into second gear. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 9,800. The VIN was unavailable.

- Woodland Park, CO, USA

Nov 022014

Mustang 6-cyl

The clutch pedal assembly pin broke off and had to be tig welded by a mechanic. He indicated that the original weld was faulty. We were lucky that we were able to push the vehicle off the road safely in the midst of a very busy street.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 022014

This is about the 20th time this has happened, went to pass a slower car and the accelerator pedal stuck and went to the floor, this has been happening at least once a week, this is a fly by wire system the issues in the pedal assembly, not the computer or anything else, no one can find a problem, but a few have said this is not the first they have heard of it, I have taken the pedal out tried to lube it and any thing else that comes to mind to free it, there is never a warning when it will happen, makes no difference if you push hard or soft. I have owned car since 9-10-14 and has happened about 20 times no help from dealer as was purchased as is no warranty, I have talked to a Ford dealer they say nothing they can do, when this happens I have to shut off the engine pull to the side of the road and play with it till it frees up and returns.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 222014

Car would not go over 25mph or slip into 3rd gear. Took it to repair shop needs a new transmission. Car only has102665 miles.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 122014

Mustang 8-cyl

Every other time I start from a stop the clutch shaking the hole car and in reverse at 1mile an hour doing the same thing I just bought this car like a month ago not to happy with it.its very dangerous.I look this problem up an everyone is having this problem Ford will not fix it without paying $2800 I don't think I should pay I just got the car please help please help please help..............:-(

- Concord, CA, USA

Jul 092013

Mustang 8-cyl

To whom it may concern: I was driving my 2008 Mustang shelby GT 500 and stopped on a hill and when trying to start clutch slipped and almost got hit by the car behind me. I have driven manual transmission cars all my life and have never had a car with 6000 miles with clutch failure. I contacted Ford and was informed by them that it would not be covered under warranty. I did some internet research and found several complaints like mine looking for help from Ford and have received the same response. I have shared my research and I have received generic answers. Ford is very aware of the inferior clutches they put in these cars and are only trying to evade a recall. I am asking for your help convincing Ford to do the honorable thing especially the high cost of these cars. If you do your own investigating and you will find multiple problems being discussed on the internet. Thanks

- Boonville , IN, USA

May 202009

Bought car new. During a routine maintenance service, I asked the dealer to adjust the clutch. Dealer stated that clutch is self-adjusting, and charged $50 to perform service. However, dealer stated that clutch disc is severely worn and has about 6000 miles of service life left. I asked dealer to replace while still under less than 12,000 mile or one year warranty. Dealer refused. I contacted Ford customer relations and they said they have received complaints, but have not and will not replace. I sent letter to Ford CEO and received a phone call from an executive assistant to CEO that said that they understood my concern but still would not replace. I am a 35+ year experienced manual transmission user and am the only one who has driven the car, and do not abuse the car. This will become a safety issue when the clutch fails because it will most likely happen on public highways. Car is currently at 12000 miles and I am concerned.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Apr 022011

Mustang 8-cyl

2008 Mustang GT. Consumer writes in regards to an exploding electrical starter motor the vehicle also exhibited loud transmission noises from the day of original purchase. Because the noise did not sound normal, the vehicle was returned to the dealer. The dealership took ten days establish the fact that the drive-train noise was considered by them to be normal.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dec 302008

Mustang 8-cyl

Since car was purchased new, manual transmission was very difficult to shift from 2-3 gear (especially when cold). Sometimes gears would grind, or would not engage at all. Shifts would often take about 2-3 seconds to engage, with car losing speed during this time. At 5800 miles, transmission required the synchronizers to be replaced under warranty. Currently car has 22,000 miles. At times, gears would not engage smoothly from 2-3 shift (when transmission hot or cold), and requires 2-3 seconds for gears to engage. This occurs occasionally, without any forewarning.

- Rowland Hts, CA, USA

Oct 212008

I brought the 2008 Mustang in oct21 2008 and it has ticked since I called harr Ford and I tried to talk to the sales person harr Ford went out of business I called Ford and talked to a variety of customer service people I have brought it two dealers the sales manager from drum hill Ford was the first to hear the noise he felt it had a problem but the people from Ford felt he was not qualified the other people I heard told me it is normal to tick like that I have driven several Mustangs I went to action Ford posing as a buyer and found a 2008 Mustang that we were the first ones to start it up it does not tick I went online to the Mustang forums and they say it could be a bearing issue Ford must know about this issue.

- Billerica, MA, USA