4.0

2010 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Mustang:

2010 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Oct 272014

Mustang

On Oct 27, 2014 I was traveling out of town onto our local highway. As I accelerated from 40 mph to the 65 mph speed limit the gas pedal continued to rapidly depress to the floor sending me up to 80 mph until I depressed the clutch. At that point the engine RPM skyrocketed, so I turned off the car, applied the brakes and pulled off to the side of the road. It was a frightening experience! I thought it was just caused by the gas pedal getting stuck under my new floor mat, but then happened 2 more times in the past 6 months, so I knew it was a mechanical problem. Since then I have researched on the internet and found lots of information and blogs from other Mustang owners experiencing the same problem and plan to make an appointment immediately with my local Ford dealership. Question: Why doesn't Ford do a major recall before someone gets killed?

- Lander, WY, USA

Sep 012014

Mustang 6-cyl

Driving on the express way from vacation and doing 70 mph and all of a sudden the RPM starting acting up. As I was driving, the car RPM was driving at a 3 instead of the normal drive. It also had a hard time picking up speed after 60 mph.

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Feb 012011

Mustang 6-cyl

My entire rear differential had to be rebuild. My ABS module had to be replaced as soon as the car went out of warranty. At least one wheel bearing had to be replaced. Poor tire wear was a result of the rear differential failing and poor quality tires. All four tires were replaced at 35,000 miles.

- Howell, MI, USA

Aug 052012

Mustang 6-cyl

8/5/12 car transmission shifter will not move locks up when in park while car is running, cut car off and entire system locks up and car then will not start, tow service suggected anit theft device activated, dealer said it needed new $133 battery, installed on 8/6/12, 8/10/12 car again sitting at long stop light, put in park, light changed, and went to put in drive shifter locked while car running, cut car off then car would not start entire anti theft system locked car.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 152010

Mustang

I purchased a 2010 Ford Mustang V6 coupe and have had several transmission issues. The hydrolic clutch has been replaced, the slave cylander, throttle body unit, and thermostat have been replaced. My car has difficulty shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, and reverse. I have to coast the car and re-engage the clutch while shifting back and forth to get it into reserve. My transmission sounds like its grinding and the shifter makes a knocking noise. When shifting the car likes to jump foward. My shifter shakes and wants to pop out of 5th gear while on the free-way. I have been telling the Ford dealership this as well as Ford Motor Company customer service in dearborne mi. When involved the dealership says it's normal for my car and that all I can do is wait for a 'catastrophic' event to occur or I can trade in my car. I should not have to wait for something castastrophic to occur for Ford to take me seriously. In addition to my current problems my tie rods, both inner and outer are bad and need replaced, I have a high pressure stearing hose leak, the housing is now leaking an needs replaced, my car is leaking coolant and my clutch is going bad again.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 142010

Mustang 8-cyl

I purchased a 2010 Ford Mustang on February 17th, 2010. On December 14th, 2010 with 12,00 miles on the car, going northbound on the highway the entire rear axle assembly went out and the car had to be towed to the dealership. On December 22nd, 2010 the car was returned to me with the replaced rear axle assembly. On December 27th, 2010 the newly replaced rear axle assembly again went out leaving me stranded on the same highway a few yards shy of the previous breakdown. The "engineers" are stating that the rear end carrier and axles are seizing in the housing.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA