2011 Ford Mustang electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Oct 122016

The vehicles drivers seat motor stopped working. Cannot move the seat to a safe driving position. Was told by mechanic that the track was bad. The car has 55,000 miles on it.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Aug 042016

I was driving on the freeway going 60mph when all of a sudden my cars power just cut off and it went into limp mode and had the worst idle at 1100 RPM until I turned off the vehicle. I then turned it back on and the limp mode light went away but a few more miles up it cut power again and almost caused a wreck as I had to quickly think and get to the side of the freeway. It happened 2 more times that day til I got it home and got the engine code P2111. I found out later its a faulty throttle body that they used in Fusion and other models and everyone is having this same issue of it randomly cutting off. It's a faulty throttle body that should be recalled!

- Tulare, CA, USA

Jul 152016

The car was in motion going down the interstate about 70 mph. All of the sudden the car speed dropped slowly until it reached about 20 mph with the gas pedal all the way to the floor and it would not pick speed back up. The service light came on and I pulled over. When the gas pedal was pushed while the car was in park it would not rev at all. Once the car was back in motion it would not go over 15mph. After the car was turned off and the battery reset the car was working like normal for a few days. Once again driving down the interstate out of nowhere the service light came on and the cars speed declined once again, once the car was turned off and reset it worked fine. This problem keeps happening with no warning

- Haughton, LA, USA

Feb 032016

My back passenger floor is soaking wet for no reason. I have had issues with my air conditioning. Dealership said I had a leak but could not find the problem. I researched when they couldn't find it. My car started to not only blow hot air, but started smelling moldy. My cabin air filter and the carpartment was full of water. The filter was soaking wet and full of mold. I change it and drained the water myself. My car ac ran better than ever up to yesterday. My ac is not blowing the ice cold air and their is lots of water on the back floor. I have heated seats. The electrical parts are under the seats. I was told by the dealership I have the best warranty but it doesn't cover water. It didn't cover the ac either. I'm told I'm going to have to pay another $300+ to fix my car when this is a problem with 2005- present Mustangs. Look at he had the same issue. I'm still waiting for my seat belt recall to be fixed. I've had my seat belt warning a year after I got the car. I was told it too wasn't covered by the warranty and I would have to pay for the diagnostic to see what is causing the warning light on my dash. Ford needs to be held responsible for their cars and start fixing them. I have severe allergies. My back seat already has green looking mold on the carpet that obviously the water has been there for some time. I'm very upset by how it's about the money and not the customer service anymore. I don't feel safe and I owe too much. I can't get out of my car loan so I'm stuck with this lemon. Please, please help me. Look into the multiple complaints out on the internet about the cabin air filter drain backing up inside the car. Ford needs to find a solution and fix the damages done so far. My car stays in a garage except when I'm at work. I hope you will look into my issue. Thank you for your time.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 162015

Mustang 6-cyl

When the car was about 3 years old, I started to feel a quick loss of power in the steering when making a turn. It had only lasted a second and only happened at low speed in parking lots but happen while I was driving so I took it to the Ford dealer in fullerton ca. They said it was a software problem and they updated the software. The problem disappeared but then reappeared about a year later. I continued to drive it cause it was only occasionally at low speed for a half second in parking lots. Then in the morning of October 16, 2015, the steering of the car locked while I was in the middle of the street for about 5 seconds. Two yellow warning lights then came on in the dash and the steering released. One warning light said "service advance trac." I slowly drove it to the Ford dealer in fullerton on residential streets since it was nearby. I no longer felt safe to drive the car. I told them the problem. They kept the car until October 20. The mechanic told me he had to change the entire power steering system because of an internal failure and the charge to me was $1733. I complained but had no choice since I needed the car repaired. I have seen very similar complaints on the internet about other Mustangs. Ford recalled several other models earlier this year for the same problem; ┐a potential intermittent electrical connection in the steering gear┐ that Ford says ┐might result in the loss of electric power-steering assist while driving.┐ these models included 2011┐2012 Ford Fusion, 2011┐2013 Ford Taurus, 2011┐2013 Ford flex, and 2011┐2013 Lincoln. I believe Ford knew of the problem but decided to pass the cost of repair to affected customers rather than do the recall of that model. This risked the life of myself and others because it resulted in a loss of control while driving. I believe I am entitled to the cost of this repair from Ford. Thank you.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Oct 212015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving 75 mph, the wrench icon illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle decelerated immediately. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road and turned off. The contact restarted the vehicle and the wrench disappeared. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but did not offer assistance since the VIN was not included in a recall. The failure was not remedied. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V319000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure with the air bags. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Cayton, TN, USA

Oct 092015

With no warning the electronic throttle body will fail causing the car to rapidly decelerate to its idle speed. In my case it happened on a city street in heavy traffic while the car was in motion. The motorist behind me almost rear-ended my car, and several other had to come to a screeching halt. The problem is dangerous, since it can occur at any time in traffic. It continued to happen after turning the engine off and back on. Since the issue is known in other Ford vehicles of the same model year range, the company should be communicating the issue to customers and proactively replacing the faulty part.

- Reston, VA, USA

Jun 192015

Driving down an interstate a wrench came on the dashboard and car went into limp mode. Pulled off turned the car off and restarted it. Got to the destination ok but on the way back home the wrench came on again. Looked at the code and saw it was the P2111 code. It happened 4 times in the way, losing power and shaking. Taking it to Ford tomorrow to find out if it covered under the warranty. There was no recall in the car, however, I am noticing a lot of people are having this issue. This is a safety issue and should have a recall on it. From what everyone else is saying Ford is not doing anything to help or fix the problem.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 232015

Driving up hill going about 20. Orange wrench icon comes on and I lose all acceleration. Had to pull over going up a hill losing acceleration fast when cars are parked on the side of the road. Barely made it to a turn and parked my car. Had to turn the car off and wait a minute and turn it back on. Turned around and went home. Called Ford dealership and asked what could be the issue. The mechanic said it could be one of two things. Took the car in to get a dtc code and they couldn't find it. The mechanic said it was safe to drive. 4 days later the same thing happened going 60. Had to pull over and restart the ignition. Almost got rear ended. Took it to the dealer again. No code. They tell me it is safe to drive still. Three days later it happens again on the same road going 60. Certain part of this road have no place to pull over. Have to drift my car for a bit to get to a safe area. Almost get rear ended. Call dealership. They tell me the earliest they can see me is one week away. This morning on the way to work it craps out on me 5 times in 20 minutes. Luckily it was 5 am and there were few people on the road. I do the same thing and restart the car. I used my tuner this time and got a code of P2111 - throttle body actuator code. I know this has been an issue with other Ford as well and checking the message boards for the Mustangs and I have seen quite a few of these incidents, but I did not see where the NHTSA was looking at the Mustangs. Maybe this should be looked into before a lawsuit happens because of this? this car is not safe to drive no matter what they tell me. I will call the dealership this morning and give them the code so they can finally fix my car.

- Seaside, CA, USA

Jul 092014

Mustang 6-cyl

Defective electronic throttle body (etb) as per dealership diagnosis. Ford customer service is excluding Mustangs from the customer satisfaction program 13N03 - which clearly states there is a problem with etbs during this time. Looking over the internet, it is clear that some Mustangs where built with the same type of etb as the models covered under the program (Fusion, escape, Mercury mariner and Mercury Milan). The program extends the warranty on the throttle body to a total of 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date, which ever occurs first. This car is extremely dangerous to drive as it basically stalls and cannot be restarted without turning the ignition completely off - which in turn turns off power asset to steering and brakes. Car may take up to 3 or 4 tries to start normally. This stalling condition can occur up to 5 times in an 8 mile trip.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 192014

Mustang 6-cyl

My wife, who is three months pregnant, was driving down the road when the wrench light came on and vehicle lost power and went into what I am hearing is "limp mode". the car losses power, never shuts off, it reduces the rpms to about 600 and speed to about 10 to 12 mph. When this happened to her she just barely got off the road before an 18 wheeler hit her from behind. When I arrived on scene I cut the vehicle off for about 10 sec. Then started it back up and it ran fine. This happened twice more before the check engine light came on. When I scanned the car trouble code P2111 displayed saying failed throttle body. I reset the computer went to the dealership and was told it would be about $170 andthere was about a 50% chance they would not be able to determine the problem so I kept my money and left. Doing some research on the internet I have found many different forums where people with Mustangs are having the same issue with their etb ( electronic throttle body) on their vehicle but Ford says there is no issue. While doing my research I found where Ford issued a customer satisfaction program no. 13N03 on Fusion, escapes, and milians for a defective ebt but the Mustang is not covered or acknowledged even though the problem described is the same exact issue that im having. This has happened to us about 10 different times since the first instance. It's a known issue as far as I am concerned and a major safety issue. Please help.

- Macon, GA, USA

Feb 152014

Mustang 6-cyl

I was driving the car on a city street at approximately 30 mph. When I accelerated, the engine started extreme shaking and then shut down. Fortunately, no one was behind me, so I did not get hit. I then was able to restart the car, but each time I stopped at a light, the car would stall out again. I was able to get to a nearby Ford dealer. They repaired the car free of charge (it was under warranty) and told me that the issues was that there was a defective computer chip which caused the engine to shut down. Ford has not contacted me to discuss the incident.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 042014

Received error code P2111, the car will bog down without notice and I cannot accelerate. This happens often and it does not matter if I am going slow or fast. The research I have done shows this to be a faulty throttle body. I found a website which shows "affected owners should contact Ford and mention consumer satisfaction program 13N03." I plan on calling joe myers Ford in houston, tx tomorrow 3/5/14.

- Cyptress, TX, USA

Oct 282009

The operating frequency of pwm (pulse width modulation) led's (light emitting diode) is too low for some viewers! the external lighting does not comply with FMVSS no. 108 specifies that lamps must be steady burning. Ford has failed to meet this requirement making for a very unsafe vehicle for night time driving. This affects them and other drivers being near this vehicle with the diminished safety margin. Note: All newer Ford's (car's, police cars, buses, tow trucks, truck, etc...) using led's are at fault, the operating frequency is to low making for a very dangerous night time situation!!!!! this must be reviewed and corrected.

- Wildomar, CA, USA

Jan 272011

Mustang 6-cyl

After several miles uphill, the vehicle had begun to travel downhill. After less than one mile, the steering was unresponsive; driver's input assumed hydraulic response. There was none. The vehicle hit the side of a mountain; very narrow shoulder didn't allow for error. The car overturned. The 'black box' located in the steering wheel collects a volume of data except one important fact: Steering wheel angle. The steering wheel was positioned to miss the mountain but not to enter the on-coming lane. The steering didn't react. Why was this essential data not recorded when many other trivial computations are present? I believe Ford understands the potential problem and omits the steering wheel angle because of liability. The vehicle was rented from hertz. They failed to advise the customer of the slow response of electronic steering. Second: Passenger seat belt is positioned high and the headrest protrudes, making an occupant of average size 'slouch' to avoid the uncomfortable strap. Regardless, the seat belt travels along the passenger's neck and tightens when the vehicle overturns. The 'accident' caused an 85% carotid artery dissection. My wife spent 10 days in a trauma center because of this horribly positioned seat belt and unresponsive steering. A friend who has a doctorate in nursing advised us during the hospitalization. She recently rented a Mustang and was worried when the strap bisected her throat. Go sit in one! it's all the evidence you need. Ford Motor Company will do nothing until they are presented with legal papers. I have formally notified them to no avail. They don't care. They just keep building them.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA