2.6

2011 Ford Mustang fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

May 092016

Mustang

Normal driving on highway, speed around 50 mph, car abruptly loses power and goes into "limp" mode with flashing wrench light on dash. Car does not respond to throttle and barely moves with rough idle. After stopping and turning car off and restarting, problem is temporarily fixed, but comes back within a few minutes. Cel code is P2111.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Apr 072016

Mustang

While driving my 2011 V6 Mustang the car will completely loose power. This has happened on the highway and on side streets. There is no warning. The wrench light comes on and the car is forced to idle. No response at all to throttle input. Error code read is P2111 which indicates "throttle actuator "a" control system - stuck open". it is my understanding that the throttle body in this vehicle is the same as used in other Ford vehicles. A recall has been issued for those other vehicles but everyone suffering from this on the V6 Mustang is on their own. This can be very dangerous for people accelerating to merge and very dangerous on the highway to stop in the middle of the road or have to limp to the shoulder through traffic at idle. I have already paid $300 for a full throttle body service and the same thing is still happening.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Oct 202015

Mustang

2011 Ford Mustang, while driving home from work at 45-50 mph car shuttered. Then no power, no throttle response with engine holding steady 1100 RPM. Wrench light on dash lit up, RPM at 1100rpm press throttle- no response at all. Steering, brakes all functioning. Turned key off and restarted, car ran fine and has not happened again yet. Car has less than 46000 miles..

- Madison, AL, USA

Oct 092015

Mustang

With no warning the electronic throttle body will fail causing the car to rapidly decelerate to its idle speed. In my case it happened on a city street in heavy traffic while the car was in motion. The motorist behind me almost rear-ended my car, and several other had to come to a screeching halt. The problem is dangerous, since it can occur at any time in traffic. It continued to happen after turning the engine off and back on. Since the issue is known in other Ford vehicles of the same model year range, the company should be communicating the issue to customers and proactively replacing the faulty part.

- Reston, VA, USA

Oct 012014

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle would suddenly loose power and would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the fuel throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Sep 162015

Mustang

Driving in city @ 35mph, went to accelerate and nothing happened. Thought engine stalled but still had ps & pb, S. called local shop, said to turn off & restart. Did and throttle returned. Two days later, happened again, on county highway @ about 60 mph. Pulled over, turned off, restarted, went to local shop. No check engine light or wrench "? light came on. Computer test all negative, but probably a bad electronic throttle body needed @ $ 500. +. took car and got on line, not going to spend $ until sure of exact issue. Found NHTSA csp 13N03, addressing my identical issue for 2011 Fusion & escapes with V6 engines, but haven't found for 2011 Mustang. This extends warranty to 150,000, and 10 years. I have 109,879 miles now, and issue happened twice today on interstate @ 75 mph. Popped to nuetral, killed key, restarted on roll both times.after parking car for short while and restarting, check eng ine lite on. Went back to shop & re-tested, this time, throttle body and associated issues dignosed. Since this is obviously a safety issue that is well documented on other models, I need to have my issue treated equally. What can you do to help?" humbly, melody & kenneth pitts

- Dade City, FL, USA

Sep 112015

Mustang

While driving down the left lane of the sawgrass expressway, a very busy highway between ft. Lauderdale and miami, I lost all throttle response. The wrench light came on the dashboard and I went from 60 mph down to nothing by the time I was off to the side of the road. Cars behind me were obviously braking hard to avoid smashing into me. I turned the car off and was about to call aaa, but the heat index that day was around a million degrees so I turned the car back on. The throttle response had returned so I cautiously limped the car back home in the right hand lane the whole way. I thought it was some freak computer glitch until it happened again going to the store the next day. I called the Ford dealership and before I even got the problem oout of my mouth the service tech said " it is your throttle body. We see this all the time. It will be about $800 to repair". if the techs are aware of this problem and it is all over the internet with people complaining about dangerous situations the have been placed in as a result, and there is already a recall for the same problem in other Ford models, then why hasn't the NHTSA done anything to force Ford to recall for the same problem on the Mustang" does someone have to die first? has somebody died because of this"

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 312015

Mustang

Car would not run > 20 mph.

- Henderson, NV, USA

May 152015

Mustang

My 2011 V6 Ford Mustang has now stalled several times going down the road. Has happened at both high and slower speeds. After pulling over and waiting a few minutes, car starts and runs okay until the next unexpected stall. Repair shop revealed no codes. Very dangerous problem!

- Eastland, TX, USA

Nov 152014

Mustang

11/14/2014 - vehicle engine appeared to stall or shutdown (no power) with "wrench" displayed while exiting highway. Coasted to shoulder and restarted vehicle mileage approx 32,100. Re-occurred on 12/9/2014 while traveling on highway at 70 mph - was able to coast to shoulder and restart. Ford dealer ran complete diagnostics next day but could not identify a problem. Vehicle mileage less than 33,000. Occurred again on 1/27 on highway while traveling on highway at 65 mph - coasted to shoulder and plugged in obd-II diagnostic tool I have been carrying which displayed P2111 throttle actuator control system stuck open. Restarted care - occurred again 2 miles later this time - same code reading - and now check engine light also on. Vehicle mileage 34,650. Dealer replaced throttle actuator control on 1/28/15 at my expense (not under warranty / no manufacturer recall). This is a significant safety hazard - unexpected vehicle shutdown occurring at highway speed.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Nov 122014

Mustang

I was driving on the interstate and my vehicle stopped accelerating. It was as though it had switched to neutral. I had to quickly turn on my emergency lights and pull over on the side of the road. I turned off the engine, then turned it back on and pulled on to the interstate. The same thing happened again. I finally made it to my destination after this happened six times.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 012014

Mustang

Today I was accelerating to get on the freeway. I took my foot off the pedal to slow down and the car kept accelerating. I then stepped on the brakes and the car kept accelerating. I slam on the brakes ad the car finally started to slow down. Took my phone off the brakes and the car once again accelerated. I again stood on the brakes and was able to get the car to stop on the side of the freeway. Scary stuff. Car was towed to dealer today.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Sep 182014

Mustang 6-cyl

Defective electronic throttle body (etb) as per code P2111. Ford customer service is excluding Mustangs from the customer satisfaction program 13N03 - which clearly states there is a problem with etbs during this time. Looking over the internet, it is clear that 2011 Mustangs where built with the same type of etb as the models covered under the program (Fusion, escape, Mercury mariner and Mercury Milan). The program extends the warranty on the throttle body to a total of 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date, which ever occurs first. This car is extremely dangerous to drive as it basically stalls and cannot be restarted without turning the ignition completely off - which in turn turns off power asset to steering and brakes. This stalling condition occurs randomly without warning in traffic. In this case vehicle barely out of factory warranty.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Jul 092014

Mustang 6-cyl

Defective electronic throttle body (etb) as per dealership diagnosis. Ford customer service is excluding Mustangs from the customer satisfaction program 13N03 - which clearly states there is a problem with etbs during this time. Looking over the internet, it is clear that some Mustangs where built with the same type of etb as the models covered under the program (Fusion, escape, Mercury mariner and Mercury Milan). The program extends the warranty on the throttle body to a total of 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date, which ever occurs first. This car is extremely dangerous to drive as it basically stalls and cannot be restarted without turning the ignition completely off - which in turn turns off power asset to steering and brakes. Car may take up to 3 or 4 tries to start normally. This stalling condition can occur up to 5 times in an 8 mile trip.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Aug 182014

Mustang 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled on the highway with 'wrench light on" meaning an electrical/engine problem with the throttle system. Car went into 'limp home mode'. dealer says the tbs needs replacing and Ford is having issues with such systems.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Jul 152014

Mustang

While driving my 2011 Ford Mustang down the road the check engine light and the wrench light came on and lost all power, the engine never died but would only idle very rough. I took it to have the code read out, it showed a code P2111 throttle body actuator wide open. It has done the same thing 2 times today. Once you pull over and cut the engine off then restart it will run fine, but not for long before doing the same thing again. I got online to see what the code P2111 means, to my surprise this seems to be a big problem on Mustangs, escapes, and Fusion. Ford has issued an extended warranty on certain throttle bodies.this could potentially be a serious safety problem loosing power while driving down the high way.

- Decatur , AL, USA

Jul 062014

Mustang

2011 Mustang 3.7. at various speeds the vehicle went into limp mode. Displayed code P2111.

- Pittsburg, KS, USA

Mar 042014

Mustang

Received error code P2111, the car will bog down without notice and I cannot accelerate. This happens often and it does not matter if I am going slow or fast. The research I have done shows this to be a faulty throttle body. I found a website which shows "affected owners should contact Ford and mention consumer satisfaction program 13N03." I plan on calling joe myers Ford in houston, tx tomorrow 3/5/14.

- Cyptress, TX, USA

Jan 242014

Mustang

While driving under normal conditions the engine service light came on. I checked the computer codes and received a P2111 code which indicates a stuck open throttle actuator control system.

- Happy Valley, OR, USA

Nov 152010

Mustang 6-cyl

While turning left at a light application of gas peddle produced no effect, car would not move for three seconds than lurch forward.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA