9.2

2015 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Mustang:

2015 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Sep 112015

Mustang 4-cyl

The above vehicle is a 2015 Ford Mustang eco-boost convertible. It is equipped with adaptive cruise control. When a vehicle in front slows below a set speed or a vehicle cuts the car off the adaptive cruise control slows the car down, or stops it, to keep a predetermined distance. According to Ford the slowing is done by the engine and not the brakes. Once the vehicle slows, and it is safe, it begins to accelerate back to the set cruise control speed. The slowing, not being done by the braking system, does not activate the brake lights. Only when the brake pedal is stepped on will the brake lights come on which also would disengage the cruise control. We have had a couple of incidents in which the vehicle behind does not see the car slowing, by brake lights, and closes at a rapid speed on the rear of the car. Looking at a Dodge Ram closing, not knowing it's going to stop, can be a bit unnerving. I have recently read that the automatic braking may be installed on future vehicles as a standard option. I can't imagine that keeping a vehicle from crashing into a forward moving vehicle is any more or less important then being struck in the rear because brake lights don't come on. I am certainly more cautious driving the adaptive cruise control on because of this safety issue. I have talked to Ford "customer relations dept" who weren't sure how to follow this up but to sent it up the ladder. I have a Ford case #cas-7876013....updated 12/29/15 according to Ford, the slowing is done by the engine and not the brakes. Once the vehicle slows down, and it is safe, it begins to accelerate back to the set cruise control speed. The slowing not being done by the braking system, does not activate the brake lights. Only when the brake pedal I stepped on will the brake lights come on which also would disengage the cruise control. The consumer stated on several occasions, other vehicles did not observe him slowing down because the brake lights did not illuminate. Updated 12/31/15.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Mar 302015

Mustang 8-cyl

With only 500+ miles on my car to date, I have experienced multiple occasions where my 2015 Mustang GT's engine shuts off without warning when I am approaching a stop and disengage the manual transmission to coast to a stop. The car does not give any indication that it is experiencing any issues prior to or during the shutdown. The engine simply dies. This latest incident nearly caused an accident because when I was approaching the red light I put the car in neutral while slowing down and the light subsequently changed quickly to green--and my engine died. The car behind me had already accelerated expecting me to proceed but I was coasting while trying to restart the car. Fortunately, there was no rear end impact and I restarted the car and proceeded. This is a serious safety issue and what makes it worse is how random it is. Ford needs to figure this out quick before somebody gets hurt or killed in an accident related to this issue. For the record, there are many others with this same model car that are experiencing the same dangerous issue and are posting their experiences online at the Mustang generation 6 forum.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA