7.7

2016 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Mustang:

2016 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Sep 232016

Mustang

I bought a new 2016 Mustang in April. I was driving uphill at 40 mph. All of the sudden the engine cut off. When the engine went off a large wrench came up on the display and it said see manual. I tried pressing the start button but it would not start. I had to come to a complete stop, put the car in park and then was able to restart it. This could easily lead to death! if this would happen on the beltway or I-95 I could get killed. The car didn't overheat and all the gauges showed normal. Now I am afraid to even drive it; I don't want to be killed or kill someone if the engine stops.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Jul 052016

Mustang

I just purchased my brand new 2016 Mustang less than 6 months ago and have already been having issues with it. I was stationary waiting at the stop light and shifted into 1st gear 3 times and my car wouldn't budge. I turned off the engine and restarted it to move it out of the street. The engine light came on briefly then shut off. A week later I was driving approximately 60 miles per hour on the freeway and my vehicle suddenly stalled with no warning. I do not remember the engine light being on this time. I just took my car into the dealer and they said it was a bad throttle body.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 232016

Mustang

While driving in rush hour traffic on my way to work, I attempted to change lanes, but the car stalled and started flashing the message "see manual". thankfully, I was able to navigate at a very reduced speed (more like a coast) into a gas station parking lot. The car is only six (6) months old with a little over 8,000 miles. I had to have it towed into the dealership where it was determined that a new throttle body was needed. I am very disappointed in Ford as I learned that the throttle bodies have been going out for years in many of the Ford models and still the same problematic throttle bodies are being installed into new vehicles. I am thankful that I had already exited the interstate when this happened because the outcome might have been very bad had I been traveling at 70 mph when this occurred. Ford really should look into installing better throttle bodies onto their vehicles before someone is seriously injured or even killed.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jun 032016

Mustang

Lost power in insanely busy irving/dallas intersection near major highway - could have been a huge accident! 5400 plus miles. Ford 2016 Mustang, V6 from a standing position, second car in line at red light. Light changes, traffic starts to move, I stepped on gas and nothing! had to creep across two lanes of busy traffic and limp up onto a sidewalk as that there was no breakdown shoulder. Than god the curb was about 2 to 3 inches high. Wrench icon on dash: "see manual". turned engine off and back on - rpms surged to the red and then dropped to below 1000. Tried the off/on thing about 3 times - same results. Engine was chugging, missing, even exhaust was chugging like some old jalopy! checked the electronic gauge readings - everything was normal except the vacuum pressure - it was between 5 and 0! after several calls to dealership, Ford roadside assist and tow company; turned car off again - 30 seconds to a minute later, restarted it - and it was running perfect - engine light however was on. Vacuum level was running between 17 and 20. Towed to dealership; it's a week now and I have just learned from them that it's the throttle body. Was told that "Ford had a bad batch of these" on this engine size (V6). The part is on back order. The dealership service rep stated it's taken as long as a "couple of months" but Ford is getting faster at getting the part out, so it could be a week to two weeks to get it in. I have seen reports of this same issue on carcomplaints.com for Explorer - from Jun 5th 2016 - stating that Ford had 7000 throttle bodies on back order! this is an exceptionally dangerous situation with these things losing power like this on highways and in major traffic. Ford needs to issue a recall on this throttle body!

- Arlington, TX, USA