1997 Ford Ranger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Ford Ranger:

1997 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Jun 212001

Ranger 4WD

The throttle body air intake failure caused the accelerator to stick.

- Shawnee Mi, KS, USA

May 011998

Speedometer malfunctions.

- Fayettevil, NC, USA

Oct 011999

Ranger

During driving, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd (most of the time), the throttle sticks at around 2500-3000 RPM's. it does release itself but after I engage the clutch to the next gear, I can take it out of gear and leave in neutral and it will still be around 2500 RPM for about 3-8 seconds. I took the car in to the original dealer and they thought I was nuts. I took it to burts Ford in Colorado and they first replace a fuel assembly part, the 2nd time they could not find the problem. They 3rd with burts, I took a mechanic out for a drive and shoed him the problem. They looked the car over while it was in shop for a week and said that they can willingly reproduce the problem but said it was the way the car was being shifted. No fix. I have been driving stick cars for over 26 years and have never had this problem. At one point, when shifting, the RPM's would accerlate. This is a problem, if I get to a stop light or sign and the car will not release the RPM's, then engine could continue to race and potentially blow up or even ruin the engine. This is obviously a safety issue but nobody seems to know how to fix it.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 141999

Ranger

Cruise control is engaged, climbing a small rise. Also, needs to shift manually from 5th to 4th gear. When clutch pedal is depressed engine will race to a wide open throttle for second, and then it will come back to idle.dealer claimed cruise control was operating as designed. Cruise control will not deactivate by applying clutch pedal, only by applying brake pedal and button. This is in conflict with owner's and service manual.

- Marina, CA, USA

Speedometer malfunctions.

- Fayettevil, NC, USA

Dec 281998

Ranger 4WD

No summary included for this vehicle.

- Alexandria, VA, USA