1998 Ford Ranger miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Ranger:

1998 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Nov 022015

Ranger

1998 XLT 4X4. Body in great shape. Frame has rust so bad rear bumber and spare tire carrier have fallen off. Broke by the leaf shackles also. Frame was coated. Unable to repair. I am beyond upset that Ford does not have to replace the frame, something I am unable to afford.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jun 172015

Ranger

1998 Ford Ranger five speed four she'll drive, was parked on level surface parking break engaged transition in gear ignition off and locked key removed, vehicle began gaining speed rolling away backward in first gear I tried to jump in to stop vehicle using breaks, at which time vehicle gained speed and flung me under tire. I received five stitches road burn as well as a soft cast and splint.

- Wasola, MO, USA

Jul 142010

Ranger

Driving on hi way, evap canister rotted off, and also lost my spare tire, I have patched frame 13 times now waiting for a recall to come out and yet still havnt heard of one. Truck needs to be fixed as soon as possible.. hoping anyway possible that they will throw a recall out there for us Ranger owners. Thankyou.

- Gardner, MA, USA

Mar 142014

Ranger 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and the truck started smoking and caught on fire, I pulled off the freeway and the whole front of the truck burst into flames.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 262012

Ranger

Rear frame has rotted out by the right rear spring hanger causing spring to go tru bed and the rear axle to be detached the truck at this time in in operable due to this will be trying to weld and replace it as best as can be but this seems to be a common complaint im reading about online sure wish Ford would step up like Toyota did

- Denmark , ME, USA

Oct 012012

Ranger

Severely rusted out rear frame rails that would not pass pa. Inspection codes. In the past 3 years I have replaced all the rear spring hangers and mounts. I understand that this is a major problem with the Ford Ranger line and is why im sending this letter and form.

- Latrobe , PA, USA

Apr 012006

Ranger

98' Ford Ranger: Has a cracked frame on the rear right side. Truck makes loud noises when driving and I am afraid it may become worse over time or completely break down in unsafe speeds. I can not sell it, as I was trying to use the money for a new vehicle due to a new baby in our family. No one will buy such a defective vehicle. Also seat belts will not stay latched? also the inside dome light melts right through the covering, where temperatures make the plastic cover bubble and melt.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Oct 282010

Ranger

Dispite proper maintence, I observed body rust and decay on the underside of my truck frame. Also the brake lines have been replaced due to corrusion and rust into the frame. Spare tire brackets have rusted into and the tire fell off. Also evap canaster bracket rusted into and the evap canaster fell off.

- Craigsville, WV, USA

Dec 011999

Ranger

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- Santee, CA, USA

Jan 191999

Ranger

On starting engine hesitated, almost stalled then raced with high RPM, while huge amounts of white thick smoke and heavy gasoline smell present.truck stalled.restarted same problem with the addition of a large black cloud of smoke from tail pipe on pushing accelerator.throttle sticks causing surging.dealer replaced throttle valve.probelm persists. Brakes make grinding noise when applied, dealer could not replicate after 4 visits they finally ackowledge problem and had to do a complete brake job.brakes are hard now and it appears that the anti locks do not engage.rear slider leaks water into extra cab when it rains. Vibration heard from ex haust area, had to have the heat shield tightened. Noise has returned./

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 011998

Ranger 4WD

Wrong wrench supplied with the vehicle, using improper torque wrench to tighten lug nuts could lead to warping of the rotor/pads in the front wheel thus resulting in brake failure.

- Silverdale, WA, USA