2001 Ford Ranger body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Ranger:

2001 Ford Ranger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 192009

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

Since I have owned the vehicle I have had many issues with the frame of my 2001 Ford Ranger edge. At one point I was driving down the road and I heard a little noise so I stopped and the spare tire came rolling by me down the street. One of my leaf springs cracked so I had my mechanic check it out and he said the frame was all rotted out and that this was very common for this year Ranger. He said the shackles that hold on the leaf sprig were broken because of rot. So he braced up some areas with metal and installed new leaf springs and shackles. The bed of the truck is tilted because of the frame. I cant give you an exact date that this first happened but I believe it is around the date I put down. I get nervous towing my boat or my pop up trailer because of the frame.

- West Boylston, MA, USA

Jan 012012

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Ranger. The contact stated that the rear frame was completely corroded. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who advised that the material used to build the frame was defective. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Dexter, ME, USA

Sep 012011

Frame was noted to have severe rust damage to rear portion of frame, however, the front portion ofthe frame does not show such damage. I have done research on this issue and it seems to be so common that there is an after market frame repair kit for this specific vehicle. The truck has no other issues. I believe that it sould not be much to ask to have defect repaired by the manufacturer to avoid safety issues.

- Charleston , IL, USA

Dec 012011

Ranger 6-cyl

Rear frame on Ranger is rusting. The slot where the gas tank strap hooks on to the frame has rusted away this caused the gas tank to drop the whole back frame looks bad.

- Denville, NJ, USA

Jun 112008

Noticed my truck was sitting crooked. Took it to repair shop to have repaired. About 2 hours after I dropped it off the repair shop called my phone and asked me to come to their shop. The mechanic showed me the rusted spring shackles and rusted spring hangers and the rusted frame. This shop would not put my trailer hitch back on because he said my rusty frame would not hold it up. I took my truck back to a Ford dealer for them to look at. They told me that the truck was paid for, warranty was out and as far as they were concerned the problem was mine. I tried to tell the dealer that this didn, T happen overnight. He didn, T care. I have had parts of the frame plated so it wouldn, T break into. Gas tank brackets have rusted off. Main front crossmember has rust holes in it. This truck was only 7 years old and its junk. Tried to trade it off at a dealer first thing they look at is the frame. The dealers know there is a problem with the frames rusting. And mine is not the only one in the area with rusted frame problems. My son has a 2004 Ford thats almost as bad as mine. I have a 1955 Ford truck that has a better frame under it than my 2001. Sad but true. I took excellent care of my truck for those first 7 years but who crawls under their car or truck to check for rust. You expect some but not to this extent.

- Ansted, WV, USA

Nov 012011

Ranger 4-cyl

Rear leaf spring hangers failed & separated from the frame due to corrosion causing the leaf spring to damage the bed of the truck as the leaf spring drove through the skin of the truck bed.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Mar 012008

I purchased a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT two years ago and when I went to get a sticker on it last year I had to put a lot of money into having part of the frame replaced due to rot. This year I took it to quirk Ford in augusta to see what it would need before my sticker and was told that even if I get the basic regular maintenance done to get a sticker ($3K) it would never get a sticker again due to the rot in the rocker panels and the frame. I've contacted Ford as it is only 8 years old and shouldn't be in that condition. They will do nothing about it. I am stuck with paying the remainder $5800 I owe on the vehicle and I can't get out of it due to the negative equity because of the condition the vehicle is in. I am the only source of income for our family of 3 right now and I can't afford to make two vehicle payments. I live too far from work to walk. It really upsets me that I'm stuck with no options for an issue that shouldn't even be. Isn't there something that can be done about this??

- Gardiner, ME, USA

Aug 312001

Ranger 4WD

The bed iwas twisted, found out it was dropped on the passenger's side at the factory. The wiring harness was pinched, found out that after driving on the highway at 70 vehicle shut off. The doors popped open. Took to body shop, they did not touch anything, they measured against Ford spec's. this is in court.

- Cosby, TN, USA

Jan 282002

The consumer stated that the roof insulation appeared to be coming loose or was missing a piece.

- Mays Landing, NJ, USA