5.0

1. per ford dealer - need coil & spark plug wires replaced (1 reports)
  2. replaced coil (1 reports)
2001 Ford Ranger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Ranger:

2001 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Oct 152009

Ranger XLT 3.0L

Problem showed up as a number one cylinder misfire code on the OBDII check engine light. First replaced the spark plugs, then the plug wires and finally the coil to fix the problem. The first coil I bought was salvaged from used parts. It too, failed after about 2 weeks. I think Ford had defective OEM coils. A new coil from Ford finally cured this aggravating problem.

- , Waterloo, SC, USA

Dec 162008

Ranger XLT 4.0L V6

Originally I was told it was a transmission problem even though I told them it didn't feel like the transmission was missing or the engine revving. The dealer continued to debug it as a transmission problem until the repair manager told the technician to drive the car with the "computer" plugged in to monitor real-time. So after 1.5hours of them debugging the problem (and a $130 bill for me for their debugging time), they told me it wasn't the transmission, but rather a bad engine coil and spark plug wires. So they replaced both at my expense even though I had to wait another hour for the coil part to arrive from another dealer. Per them the problem has been fixed...we'll see tomorrow when I drive it to work...!!

- , St. Peters, MO, USA