2001 Ford Ranger seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Ranger:

2001 Ford Ranger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 162015

Ranger

To begin when I got the truck the air bag light would never go off when ever I turned them on and off. Which made me wonder weather they were ever really off and considering you can't fit a car seat in the back seat I had to put it in the front seat. Then when my wife was driving the spare tire fell off the truck while she was going down the road. Here recently she was driving and some one stopped her to tell her that something fell off the truck about 2 foot long. She called me and said the truck was still running so I told her to just try and make it home and I would look at it because I didn't think it was that serious. Once I started looking at it, a canister had come loose from the truck because the frame broke in half where the canister was connected to the truck because the truck was so rotted. She got the truck inspected in October. I feel that the dude that inspected it should have noticed the frame almost broke in half. I am very disappointed with this truck I have done nothing but put money into it.

- West Columbia, WV, USA

Sep 142014

Ranger

Airbags partially deployed when I stopped quickly. There was no contact or exterior damage to vehicle.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Aug 192013

Ranger

Constant passenger airbag issues since purchase. Airbag lights are on and dealer will not correct issue. Concerned due to recent issues with airbags on previous Ford Ranger.

- Stewartstown, PA, USA

Dec 202012

Ranger 6-cyl

At fault driver turned left in front of me while I was driving approx. 40 mpr. I was unable to stop. Totaled the front end of my 2001 Ranger. I suffered broken kneecap and sternum. Airbags did not open. Ranger towed..

- Odessa, TX, USA

Apr 112012

Ranger 6-cyl

My son was involved in an accident where he was hit head on by someone who ran a red light. The airbags failed to deploy. He was traveling around 40 (ish) mph. Seems strange that the airbags did not deploy.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Apr 032010

Ranger

2001 Ford Ranger wet road hydroplanned striking concrete barrier driver side twice airbag did not deploy.

- Brookhaven, MS, USA

Apr 012008

Ranger 6-cyl

Air bag light flashes on and off. Indicating it is deactivated according to town Ford dealer in redwood city ca. Vehicle only has 39,000 miles on it. Vehicle is 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4 X 4. 5 years or 50 mile warranty which I do not fall under because I do not drive much, and regardless of my low mileage the dealership will not honor this defect. This is the second major defect I have found on this vehicle. There was an recall on the egr sensor, which appeared at around 36,000 miles. Because I drive rarely it didn't occur until it's 7 year and again I was penalized for "going green", and had to pay for this full repair. Can you please assist me to find out if this airbag is an actual defect. I have seen other discussion groups mention the Ford Ranger having the flashing air bag light at early mileage.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Nov 202003

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

It had been raining and it was slushy out, my truck got pulled by slush and I hit a guard rail almost head on and bounced off of it and wound up right on the edge of the inside lane of the highway once the truck was stopped my airbags went off, I then had an asthma attack from the powder that came out of the air bags. How ironic that the passenger side air bag was shut off yet it still went off. Also when my truck went in the shop to be fixed I found out that both seatbelt pre-tensioners had to be replaced since both of them had broke yet I was the only one in the truck. This truck was fixed by a Ford dealer. I would like to know why the seat belt pre-tensioner on the passenger side broke and I would like to know why the air bag went off when it was shut off. I have pictures of the accident and the damage that was done. I asked the Ford dealer why the air bag on the passenger side had went off and why the seat belt pre-tensioner had broke and all they could tell me is they did not know. I do not agree with that answer and I would like this to be investigated. I had to pay double of what it would have cost me to replace one air bag and one seat belt pre-tensioner.

- Niles, MI, USA

May 042005

Ranger

2001 Ford Ranger was involved in a front end collision yet the air bags did not deploy.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

May 242005

Ranger 4-cyl

Consumer states: Air bag deployed while driving down the road doing approximately 30 mph when the air bags came out. No lights, no for warning, nothing.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Apr 182005

Ranger 6-cyl

The consumer was involved in an accident and was hit from the rear at a high rate of speed and the air bag did not deploy. They were at a dead stop when the accident happened.

- Fort Meyers, FL, USA

Apr 072003

Ranger 6-cyl

Consumer was involved in an accident and his seatbelt equipment did not hold and his air bags did not deploy. The consumers skidded across the road and struck another vehicle head on. (model/XLT) RQ04011.

- Lakemoor, IL, USA

Jul 042004

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

I was traveling at 58 mph, veered off road and hit a culvert head on. I sustained a head injury due to air bags not deploying.

- Erin, TN, USA

May 092004

Ranger 4-cyl

Hit a pothole while turning left ; leaving a restaurant. Lost control of vehicle for a moment. Hit curb on the median, airbags deployed; crossed over grass median. Was blinded and drifted over onto oncoming traffic, and back into parking lot wich was my initial departure point.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 232004

Ranger 6-cyl

While traveling at 65 mph consumer's vehicle hit another vehicle that illegally entered the lane. Upon impact, none of the air bags deployed. There were two injuries, and the vehicle was totaled. There were slight injuries.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 082003

Ranger

Consumer states while driving at 45-50 mph an epileptic seizure occurred which caused an accident. E driver's nor the passenger's airbag deployed. At the time of accident seat belt came unhooked. Seat belts were on recall, and the problem was suppose to have been fixed by the dealer. Driver was in a crash and the latch plate detached from the buckle during the even. The driver did not sustain serious injuries. Recall for the seat belt was performed prior to the crash. Cw RQ04011. Owner gives perm. To release info.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

May 122003

Ranger

While driving air bag warning light would come on. Dealer notified.

- Lumberton, NC, USA

May 032003

Ranger 6-cyl

Both of the vehicles frontal air bags deployed while driving over a railroad track.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Jan 262003

Ranger

While driving at 48/52 mph, vehicle was in a square front collision, but none the airbags deployed upon impact. The police investigator indicated that the air bag senor was hit directly in the center upon impact.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Jan 172003

Ranger

While driving at 40 mph, consumer states the vehicle was involved in a frontal collision and none of the airbags deployed. Which resulted in a head injury to the driver.

- Beaverton, OR, USA