2001 Ford Ranger seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Ranger:

2001 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Jun 012003

Ranger 6-cyl

Seat belt retractor failed on the consumers 2003 Ford Explorer. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer and they said this happened all the time. The consumer was involved in a car accident and the air bags did not deploy at 40 mph. The consumer had to manually place the seat belt back into its position it did not retract. The dealer informed the consumer the springs were weak and they would fail again if replaced.

- Weber Falls, OK, USA

Aug 212002

Was at a complete stop signaling for a left turn and other driver hit me from behind at aprox. 30 miles/hour. Airbags did not deploy, although my seatbelt locked and I was slung forward, missing the windshield by only an inch or two.

- Dayton, OH, USA

May 062002

Ranger 4WD

The drivers side shoulder belt first locked up, then it pulled all the way out and will not retract. I took the vehicle to the dealer, but they did not take the rear door apart to see what caused the trouble. My children received a phone call in early July that the part would be in around 23 July. To this date, Aug 7, I have not received a call yet. I have called to local Ford dealers to find even an off color belt, but none are to be had. I fell unsecure, and even guilty driving this vehicle without a seatbelt since it is a law in this state, and I have to drive on an army post which is the law there also. I have also tried everthing I can to get this fixed. I even took the door apart to see if the mechanism could be fixed (which was more than what they did at the dealer), but it is un-repairable. (I have 20+years experience as an army mechanic) I would have even tried to switch the belt with the passenger side, but it will not work (the truck is a 4-door and will not swap out). Thanks for your time.

- Radcliff, KY, USA