4.0

1. high quality fuel and oil (1 reports)
2003 Ford Ranger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Ranger:

2003 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Mar 152012

Ranger XLT 2.3L

I purchased this truck about a month ago and the rocker arms were knocking a little bit louder than I thought they should, the owners manual says that the engine will make that noise if you use the cheap gas and that it's nothing to worry about unless it's abnormally loud (the previous owner used cheap Walmart gas).

So I drove it home, from Canyon, TX (my home town, to FT Hood, TX (my home) about 500 miles, changed the oil, and filled it up with good quality gas. After a few tanks (including the fuel I put in it right after purchase and on the trip home) the noise hasn't gone away completely, but has quieted tremendously. It quietly comes and goes but barely notice it's there 90% of the time.

- , Copperas Cove, TX, USA

May 252007

Ranger XLT 3.0 V6

my mechanic took off the upper intake manifold to clean gasket. heard a clinking sound after it was put back together. almost like something could have dropped into the open manifold. a screw maybe? is this plausible? no loss in engine performance but sound is annoying. happens when ever i have my foot on the accelerator in drive.

- , Kihei, HI, USA