2004 Ford Ranger transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Ranger:

2004 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Feb 252009

Ranger Edge 4.0L V6

Today Fe 26 2009 I read practically all complaints about Ranger transmissions and I fear that what I experienced yesterday is just a precursor of real big problems ahead.

On a short trip I noticed the engine revving at 4500 @65 mph and 5000 @70mph with the strange laboring sound I initially suspected was an exhaust pipe leak until I looked at the tach.

I still drove for 50 miles because the engine temp stayed normal. The overdrive stayed on. When I arrived I placed it on Park and revved the engine several times with doors open - no sound typical of exhaust pipe leak. I then proceeded to pull out the transmission stick -- normal level and color. (My Ranger only has 31000 miles.)

On my way back home the transmission worked perfectly normal. This has me worried terribly.

What happened?