2005 Ford Ranger miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Ranger:

2005 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Feb 242016

Bought this truck new and after its first winter, was already showing severe rusting on the frame, now 11 years later the rear frame is rusted so severely that the rear spring shackles mounting brackets have completely failed and the metal on the rear frame rails is severely rusted and perforated where the spring shackle brackets attach to the frame, also the spare tire hoist assembly that holds the spare under the truck, has also failed and is dangerous, can no longer use it as spare tire is a severe safety hazard of falling off the truck that could severely injure or kill another motorist should it fall off the truck and strike another vehicle or fly through someones windshield. NHTSA should require that Ford recall these trucks, and be required to replace the frames, similar to the Toyota Tundra recall several years ago for rust problems on their frames, a truck frame should not rust away on a 2005 Ranger that has 98,000 original miles on it! Ford failed to provide any corrosion protection on these Ranger truck frames.

- Sterling, MA, USA

Jun 072015

Spare tire wheel well fell off due to excessive rust in rear end of frame and pulled with it some wires and a filter canister and a hose mounted on the wheel well.if wheel well was bolted to frame I might fix was held by permanent rivet type fasteners. Cannot find wheel well being sold anywhere.

- Pittsfield , MA, USA

Jun 072015

Entire spare tire storage mount assembly broke free from frame and pulled wires and hoses with it as it went under my right tire and caused me to go off road nearly crashing int trees

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Feb 102015

Engine suddenly accelerates to high speed, with car moving slowly at first. This has happened a few times now, always initially at low speed. In all cases, holding brakes hard has kept vehicle from hitting anything or anybody, but rear wheels turned attempting to move the vehicle even while brake was held hard. Turning off key stops the engine, and when it is restarted, symptoms disappear. This has happened most times with cruise control turned off, though I don't believe this is related. Tends to happen at gas stations after refueling or when parking, in both cases with vehicle initially running very slowly. I believe that accidental pressing of accelerator can be ruled out here. The vehicle is seldom used.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

May 082015

Fist size and multiple finger size rust holes in frame. Spare tire mounts completely rusted off.spare tire was held on by steel line. When I was driving down the highway leaf spring mount on driver side rusted completely off. Leaf spring now pushes up on bottom of the bed. Also happened while driving down highway heard a loud bang. Got home and seen that is what happened. Driving this truck puts anyone on the road in immediate danger. Driver and others. I would say everything that has happened would be "near misses"

- Ashley , IN, USA

Feb 122011

Two times in 2 days I was driving when the vehicle suddenly stalled/shutoff. Fortunately both times I was able to pull over out of traffic. It felt like my pedal went dead, I lost my power steering as well. Since I was able to connect to the internet through my phone I was able to search "Ford Ranger suddenly dies while driving." An overwhelming amount of results indicated to reset my inertia fuel shutoff switch. I found it, reset it and the truck started again. After the second time this happened I researched Ford Ranger recalls, only to find this was not one of them. I feel very apprehensive about driving my truck, not knowing why it suddenly decides to trip the fuel shutoff switch. This is extremely dangerous and it needs to be recalled.

- Apo, AE, USA