1.9

2006 Ford Ranger suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Ranger:

2006 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Oct 242016

Ranger

Rear leaf-spring shackles and hangers on my 2006 Ford Ranger are rusted out, one of the shackles broke free from the frame while I was driving, made it harder to steer because the truck felt nowhere near as stable as it was before it broke, it caused me to swerve into the lane beside me which very well could have caused a serious accident if someone were to be there. The rest of my frame seems to have excessive rust which is not to be expected from a 10 year old truck, especially by the shackles and hangers for the leaf springs, and also all around the spare tire mount which I could see to become a very serious safety concern while driving. I mean who wants a spare tire in their windshield while following someone down the road? my vehicle was in motion on the highway when all of this happened im very certain that cheap frame metal was the cause of it breaking, because im generally pretty easy on my truck.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Aug 022016

Ranger

On my 2006 Ford Ranger 4X4, I have had both left and right rear leaf spring brackets and shackles replaced, also noticed the frame and under carriage rusted, truck bed rusting through.

- Dresden, ME, USA

Aug 112016

Ranger

Frame and undercarriage seems to have excessive rust, especially rear axle spring hangers.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 122015

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

Awful banging sound while driving, inspected truck, found rear bumper hanging half off. Rear portion of both frame rails had rotten off. Rear spring shackles rotten and not attached. I pulled the bumper off with my bare hands! if it had fallen off while I was driving it could have killed someone. This is not an old beat up truck, as a matter of fact it only has 17,000 mile on it. It still looks brand new. The Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 extended cab was bought new in 2006 for $20,000, now its useless, can not even fix the spring shackles, nothing to attach them to.

- Shirley, MA, USA

Nov 282014

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

Was driving and the bracket and cross member that holds the spare tire bracket up broke due to the frame being all rusted/scalely and rotted out which also led to the shackles being broken. When this bracket broke, my spare tire was hanging down and dragging on the ground which could have caused a serious accident. After the tire was taken down, this is when the deplorable condition of the frame was clearly visible. This truck should not even have been sold to me off of the Wyoming valley motors dealership lot in larksville, pa. I have had the truck less than 14 months and put less than 3,000 miles on the truck. The frame and undercarriage is unfit to be on the road and should not have been sold especially at a big dealership lot. I have also contacted Ford and they will not stand behind their truck and do anything about it.

- Freeland, PA, USA

Jun 202014

Ranger 6-cyl

While driving on the tch in newfoundland, I heard this unusual bang out of the rear of my Ford Ranger. I looked in the rear view mirror and seen something come from beneath the rear of my truck. I pulled over as did the vehicle traveling behind me. The spare tire assembly had rusted off which let the tire loose and fall off. The tire narrowly escaped the vehicle behind me. After closer inspection on the truck, the main frame had completely cracked off as did the spring hanger. I contacted Ford relations and there was nothing they could do. This is totally unsafe of Ford to ignore this problem with this Ford as it almost caused a family of 3 an accident. I have taken care of this truck and have had it under coated every too years. There is only 85000 kilometers on this truck and the frame is completely rusted out. My problems have been documented.

- Branch, CA, USA

Apr 252013

Ranger 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Ford Ranger that I purchased new (its my second Ranger I had a 1996 that I traded in. I really like Ranger but have run into a major problem with rust on my Ranger. The spring shackles rusted and broke on both sides last week. I took my bed off to replace the shackles and found the brackets were also rusted out. The frame is very rusty and there is rusted holes through on the drivers side rear frame. I have not got to the frame under the cab or front of truck yet. Is there a recall or can I expect help from Ford. The safety factor of the frame concerns me.

- Penn Hills , PA, USA

Apr 242014

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

Took my truck in to have wheels changed. When put on the lift, I heard to sounds from the suspension. Both spring shackle hangers and brackets were rusted. The shackles actually fell apart. I have removed the bed and found extensive rust out on the frame. The driver side rear frame is basically gone from rust out.

- Penn Hills, PA, USA

Dec 142012

Ranger

I was driving down the road and I hit a bump and my spare tire fell down and out of the truck onto the highway. I stopped immediately and retrieved my wheel of the highway and saw that it was still connected to part of the mount. The next day I drove to a repair shop to put the truck on a lift to look at the damage and realized that the entire frame had rotted under the truck. I left the repair garage and was heading home when I hit a pothole the entire driver side front frame rotted and the wheel fell partially off the truck, so I had the truck towed to my office parking lot and parked it, because it is not drivable anymore. I contacted Ford they told me to have it towed to a local dealership and they would send a rep out to look at it. So I did and the rep never came out and they told me to have it removed, that the rep called them and said they would not repair anything, so the truck still sits rotted and parked, and remember it only has 17,900 miles on it, thank you.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Jul 182013

Ranger 6-cyl

Rear leaf spring shackles are broken, fuel tank straps are broken rear struts are in poor condition, extensive rust on frame.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Sep 012011

Ranger

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Ranger. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle began to shift sideways abnormally. In addition, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the front passenger side wheel was emitting smoke and the wheel was partially detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where the mechanic stated to the contact that the wheel bearing was fractured and would have to be replaced. After the repair, the contact noticed a whining noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic where the mechanic stated hat the front wheel bearing and axle would have to be replaced. The contact was not aware if the failure occurred on the driver or passenger side. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000.

- Arkport, NY, USA