1995 Ford Taurus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1995 Ford Taurus:

1995 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Aug 022006

Taurus 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 65 mph a noise was heard and the vehicle was pulled over. A fire was observed coming from the engine compartment. The fire department was contacted who extinguished the fire. The vehicle was towed to a service station. The contact was unsure whether the cause of the fire was electrical or fuel ignited, nor what component was involved.

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Nov 272005

Taurus 6-cyl

I am the owner of a 1995 Ford Taurus with around 64000 miles. I was driving the vehicle on the date of 11/27/05 when black smoke started coming out from under the hood, I was one light from the westbrook fire department so managed to get to the firehouse and off the road to prevent any other damage to others around me. I ended up losing my brakes from the fire and every wire and anything plastic under the hood had been destroyed. The vehicle is a total lose. It seems the fire had been caused by an electrical problem and started towards the front of the vehicle. I checked on the internet and found that Ford had issued a recall for a problem with the cooling fan causing an under-hood fire. I contacted Ford on 11/28/05 to verify if my vehicle was affected by this recall and was told yes, but I had never been notified. After this I was told by Ford that I would be contacted in several working days with further instructions. I was contacted by Ford on 12/13/05 and was told there was nothing they could do until a Ford dealer checked the car to see if the fire was caused by the cooling fan. On the date of 12/14/05 I had the vehicle towed to hammonasset Ford Lincoln in madison ct to look at the vehicle. They looked at the vehicle and said there was so much damage under the hood, that every wire had melted they could not tell exactly where the fire started. I had the car towed back home and on 12/20/05 I was contacted by Ford via U.S. mail and was told due to the extensive amount of damage to the vehicle they were unable to verify a manufacturer┐'s defect that the Ford Motor Company is unable to offer any assistance at this time. Every wire under the hood is stripped of its plastic coating. And the paint on the hood is burned off right over the fan. This should have never happened to a car with only 64000 miles.

- Clinton, CT, USA

Sep 072004

Taurus

The vehicle will not start. Consumer had the computer/ coil, and distributor replaced. Also, engine head gaskets were replaced three times.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 112003

Taurus

While driving, smoke emitted from the dash board.

- Los Lunas, NM, USA

Mar 312003

Taurus

The vehicle experienced an electrical fire.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Apr 012001

Taurus

The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasion for an intermittent stalling condition, the dealer replace the pump twice but the problem reoccured, upon further inspection the technican found that the electrical connector to the fuel pump was corroded and partially burnt causing the vehicle to stall intermittently without warning, the consumer is requesting reimbursement, the starter failed.

- St Joseph, MN, USA

Sep 292000

Taurus

Electrical system failure: No crank sometimes. The vehicle was taken to a local Ford dealer who kept the vehicle for 3 days. When it first arrived at the dealer, they couldn't start it either. The next day they were able to start the vehicle and could not find where the problem was. Obviously, there was no charge and the vehicle was returned to me. This has occured 3 times since I've had the vehicle (purchased used on 7/99). Instrument panel: Speedometer needle jumps around, typically after I reach speeds in excess of 30 mph.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Oct 011995

Taurus

While driving the vehicle the headlights go out. Dealer has fixed and problem still exists. First occasion, dealer stated problem was fixed and when consumer came to pick up vehicle, found a dashboard light for the headlights was not lit, on the 3rd day of repair, dealer stated a wire had broken in the connector to the multi-function switch, this had been replaced 2 years prior, other electical components have failed including the door locks, seat belt buzzers, key left in ignition buzzer, courtesy light, and others, consumer told dealer that on one occasion while shutting the driver's door she could hear a noise that sounded like something was shorting out.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Oct 301996

Taurus

When attempting to make left turns the steering wheel, power windows and door locks, breaks, ignition, and gear lever locks up. After manipulating the key in ignition for several minutes it will release and vehicle can be shifted to park and all other components unlock. If collision had resulted in a fire the occupants would have been trapped inside.

- Sterling H, MI, USA