8.7

1997 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Ford Taurus:

1997 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Nov 012007

Taurus GL 3.0L

I got the car back in November of 2007. Took it for a test drive and noticed a funny smell but didn't pay any attention to it. Well, turns out that smell was the transmission burning up. The problem didn't happen at first, but a few weeks after purchase i noticed it started acting up. Like when i would come to a stop at a light it would stop, then JUMP forward about 6 inches VERY violently. And when I went to put the car in park it would pause and then do the jumpy thing again. Once in park though it was fine. I noticed, well my friend noticed the transmission leak after i pulled from his snow covered driveway in the winter. He said "Hey, thanks for leaving the pile of fluid in my driveway." Sure enough, there was a pink/red stained spot in the snow. It's too expensive/ not worth fixing so I just have to put a liter, that right a LITER, in it every few weeks and it performs ALRIGHT. Not great but fair. Long story short, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO EVERYONE ELSE.... DON'T BUY A TAURUS. you've been warned.

- , Topeka, KS, USA

May 242007

Taurus GL 3.0 V6

I haven't even had this car for a year yet, and I'm already thinking it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I'm a sophomore in college, so I can't really do much but drive it until it won't go anymore! I have had so many problems in the past 9 months, it's ridiculous. The service engine soon light came on and I discovered that the tranny fluid was leaking. Now I just stock up on it, and every time the light comes on, I pour half a gallon in there! There is a leak in the oil pan as well. The steering wheel shakes if you get it past about 65 mph. The plastic hubcaps Ford provides you with are pieces of sh*t. The driver's side power window is going to go soon. The entire door panel on the driver's side is falling off. I could honestly probably go on for another full paragraph. But seriously... DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. If you are a first time buyer looking at these, take my word for it... FORD's are worthless money pits!

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 092007

Taurus

I'm not sure about the rest of the consumers, but I love my car.

The only major problems out of normal maintenance was: power steering at 130,000 miles and 150,000 miles now my tranny is acting crazy (leaking fluid, slipping, jumping when stopped at lights). I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow.

- , Ferndale, MI, USA