1. (1 reports)
  2. repair brake release wire (1 reports)
  3. replaced trans pump and shift solenoids (1 reports)
1998 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Taurus:

1998 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Mar 012015

Taurus SE 3.0L

My car started to get stuck in park. It got worse and worse over a approx. 3 month period of time. There is a brake release in the brake pedal. Another words, you have to have your foot pushing the brake for it to start and, of course, go out of park. The wire in the brake release eventually burnt in half.

- , Sandy, OR, USA

Mar 242009

Taurus LX 3.0L V6

Car wouldn't shift into overdrive at all, and would sometimes hang up between 1st and 2nd. Became a real pain on the highway running 70mph at almost 4500 rpm. caused car to drink gas like it was a truck. replaced all 3 shift solenoids and rebuilt the transmission pump all in the side pan of the transmission. A pain in the ass job but it fixed the problem. have around 20,000 more miles on the car now and its running and shifting good.

- , Monticello, MS, USA

Jan 072008

Taurus SHO 3.4L

I thought Ford had worked out all the bugs with the older version Taurus but apparently not. My wife and I recently inherited a í98 with 99k + miles from her folks. Ever since they had it there were no major problems. My father in-law takes care of his vehicles like no one I know, the first hint of a problem itís in the shop.

It was within the first two weeks we owned it, my wife started hearing a clattering from below the front of the car, and itís the dead of winter we donít have a garage and Iím not crawling under the car, I have a good idea itís a loose heat shield. Not soon after that the tranny starts acting weird like somebody overnight replaced the stock torque converter with a Stall converter, like the drag racers use. The car will not move until the rpmís reach around 1800 or so. I take it to the shop and $2000 + to replace the converter and tranny, solenoid and whatever else is involved. Eventually the check engine light comes on, the O/D light flashes, and that's only supposed to flash when the O/D is off OR the tranny fluid overheats and this is when it's cold...I don't get it. Give me the late 60's or early 70's cars any day..I can't work on these !!!

At least we didnít pay anything for ours and feel for those who did, however IF I do get it fixed then Iíll have a $900 car for $2000.00. (I'm being generous..)

What can we do about this? Apparently there is an inherent problem.

BTW, this site rulesÖI hope everybody starts to use it.

- , Webster, NY, USA