1. replace transmission (10 reports)
1999 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Taurus:

1999 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Sep 012015

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

The transmission started to slip, after a seal was replaced that just inexplicably blew out. This transmission, I am finding out, is a literal piece of defective junk. No matter if you baby it and do all of the maintenance on it, it has a 100% failure rate.

- , Mt Pleasant, TX, USA

Jun 072011

Taurus SE 24vdo V6

I REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION AFTER HUNTING FOR ONE I HAVE THE SPECIAL COLOMN SHIFT IT HAD 80,0000 on it when i bought it,transmission from california had it shipped to tenn where i lived.. i moved to PA> in sept, dec,10th, it went out again .. i found another one transmission for it put it in working ok but shifts hard at times !!! my head lites even with high intensidy lites blue h3 its no more lite then i had the head lite lens fog the mirrors wont let my lite shine out to see makeing it very dangerious on a foggy or white out condition,or bright city lites !!!! the interior lites wouldnt go off after changing the two map lites with the sun roof buttons i replaced that a my black box that powered my sun roof it solved the problem !! with the plastic rocker panel if you drive in salt beware tear them off before you loose the rocker panels it eats into your splash pans rear seats ,i restore cars i made my own fabrications for mine...

- , Garrett, PA, USA

Dec 152011

Taurus SE V6

The transmission started having problems at 100,000 miles and went out completely by 110,000. I replaced it, but around 170,000 miles the new transmission is having problems again.

- , Duluth, MN, USA

Sep 232011

Taurus SE V6

I was coming home from work, the car did great and then I slowed down to let another car make a right turn and when I went to accelerate nothing but the engine revving. WTF. My car was second had but I knew the owner, he always had this vehicle maintained on a regular basis, when I purchased it, it only had 35,000 original miles and since then I only put 10,000 miles on it. No god awful noises or anything, no smoke, no fluid leaks. My daughter towed me home and the car has been in the driveway since. I've talked to a few mechanics and some say it's the torque converter. So what the hell is the deal with this???? I'm reading a lot of people having transmission / torque converter problems. What happened to "we stand behind our product"?? and how many people need to bitch and complain before FORD says ok, we will either fix what's broke or we will cover 50% of the repairs. Hell, it's no wonder people go to foreign cars, they stand behind what they manufacture. If they get a complaint, they rectify the problem without giving their customers a hard time. FORD, get off your ASS and fix my problem. My vehicle is my livelihood. I NEED it to get to WORK to make MONEY to pay bills. I sure as hell am NOT going to give FORD any positive reviews!! I've always heard FORD is supposed to be a great vehicle and AMERICAN made but it's more like some half assed engineers threw something together that they now DON'T STAND BEHIND and FIX. I'm having mechanics come and view my vehicle at no cost but the problem is, which ones can we really trust? Get With The Program FORD And Take Care Of Your Customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Deer Park, TX, USA

Jul 012011

Taurus LX

Bought a 1999 Taurus a year ago with only 124,000 kms on it. The heater wasn't working but we were ok with that. After about 3 months of driving it the gears were slipping. Mostly from 2nd to third gear. We brought it in and the transmission was going. We drove it like that for a year - we were not prepared to spend 1500 on a used transmission that probably had more kms than the one in it. After a year it died - we couldn't shift anymore - so its gone to car heaven with our Windstar - the head gasket blew up on that one the year before at 180,.000 kms.

- , Victoria, BC, canada

May 202009

No warning noise or feeling just stuck in neutral as I pulled into the driveway this car is a Lemon - heater doesn't work and windshield wipers come on any time they want to and turn off when they want to

- , Vancouver, BC, Canada

Jun 302007

Taurus LX 3.0L V6

When it turned 8 years old, my Ford Taurus turned into a piece of junk. It had complete transmission failure and it cost $2400.

- , Surrey, BC, Canada

Apr 222009

Taurus 3.0L V6

The 1999 Taurus transmission is completely useless. It has to be replaced as the car could not move one bit.

- , Mooresville, IN, USA

Aug 272008

Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Dohc

Car was great for 4 years from when I bought it. Then the transmission failed.

- , Richland, WA, USA

Apr 162008

I purchased this car brand new. I am the original owner, so I know it was properly taken care of. A 99 Ford Taurus with only 51,000 miles on the car and it needs a new automatic transmission! Unbelievable!!!! Another piece of Ford junk!!! No more fords for me!!!

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 122007

Taurus 3.0L

The transmission went out with only 73000 miles on it. Never slipped leaked or had any problems with it, just went all at once and that was a costly $1500.00. I'll never buy another one. It also has no heat.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 272006

Taurus LX 3.0L

Transmission is out and it went out one arriving at the gas station hood we had just gotten off the highway with this piece of sh*t I will never buy ford again i have one more year to pay it off and guess what no more ford eva again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Fairfield, AL, USA