CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car where the coil springs don't puncture or shred tires while driving. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 1999-2003 Ford Taurus has a huge problem with coil springs breaking, which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

2002 Ford Taurus wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Taurus:

2002 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Sep 012009

Taurus

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Taurus. The manufacturer of the tires is big O aspen and the tire size is P215/60R16. The contact stated that the tread on the driver-side front tire separated. She had the tire replaced according to recall# 06T027000 (tires: Tread/belt, tire line / tire). After the repair the three remaining tires failed identically. The blow outs increased her risk for vehicle crash. The tire facility denied responsibility for the failures, so she had to bear the expense to replace them. The dot numbers of the tires were unknown. The failure mileage was 53,111. The current mileage is 97,000.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Jun 282007

Taurus

I purchase 4 kumho 215/60/16 tires in may of 2004 and have put least than 20,000 miles on them when I went out get my car inspected they said that the tires were "junk" extremely dangerous to be on the road because they were cracked and one belt was broken on the right front tire- I feel these tires should be added to the recall list and anyone who purchased them should be reimbursed for there expenses.

- West Sunbury, PA, USA

Jan 122005

Taurus

In mid January I was driving my vehicle, 2002 33xi BMW, when I had a blow out of my front left tire. The tires are nokian wr size 205/50R17. I thought I must have hit a pothole or something else to cause the blow out. Yesterday, March 11, 2005 I noticed a bluge on my front right tire ( same make). I called jack williams for a replacement tire and will have the tire replaced at my cost. My concern is that the tires may be defective. I had all four tires replaced on 12/01/04 and have less then 10,000 miles on them. I feel it is too ironic that I have a problem with another tire after having a blow out. I could not find this make of tire on your recall system. Any assitance you can give me would be appreciated.

- West Wyoming, PA, USA

Apr 022004

Taurus 6-cyl

The passenger side front tire was cupping with over 50% of tread wear remaining. The tire's tread seemed to be seperating from the sidewall.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 262004

Taurus 6-cyl

Interior tires separated. The windows made a noise when going up, the dealer lubricated the regulator.

- Sebring, FL, USA