- August 19: Ford Focus EVAP Purge Valve Lawsuit Survives Dismissal Bid news | 4 days ago
- August 13: Ford Faces Exhaust Odor and Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit news | 10 days ago
- August 10: Three Police Officers Sue Ford Over Carbon Monoxide Exposure news | 13 days ago
- August 2: Lawsuit Says Ford Lifted Trucks Have Wrong Jacks and Spare Tires news | 21 days ago
- August 1: 'Built Ford Tough' is Mere 'Puffery,' Says Federal Judge news | 22 days ago
Transmission Will Not Shift Out Of Park
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 103,367 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 15 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (10 reports)
- new transmission (2 reports)
- replaced torque conveter (2 reports)
- replaced cracked clutch drum (1 reports)
accessories - interior problem