CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

8.0

2. replace brake lines (1 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Jan 082016

Taurus

click to see larger images

brake failure brake failure brake failure brake failure brake failure brake failure

We had several close calls where the car would not stop, and slide on dry pavement or wet conditions. The car had new brakes, rotors, tires, but still would have trouble stopping. Unfortunately my daughter was driving the car today, and hit another car. I just replaced the tires again a few months ago, thinking it the tires were the problem. I had several close calls myself, and I think there is a big problem with this car stopping. Thank God nobody was hurt, but this could have been much worse. My daughter was going 30 miles a hour, and she was on a city street, conditions were wet but she had plenty of time to stop.

- , Perrysburg, OH, USA

Aug 152014

Taurus SE V6

I was just slowing for a red light when I pressed the brakes and realized I didn't have any brakes. The pedal went to the floor. I didn't want to go through the traffic light as I would be risking an accident for sure as it is a busy intersection. I quickly turned the wheel and turned left and got the car off the road and prayed nothing was coming to hit me making that quick turn. I got lucky and coasted into a parking lot of a business on that corner. I noticed fluid coming out of the underneath of the car and the business person told me it looked like a broken brake line. I then had to call a towing service to get the car repaired. I have never had this happen in all the cars I ever owned a FORD car. This could have resulted in a serious accident had I been going faster. Very scary with no warning. Just seconds before I had pulled into the parking space in the front door of a business. Had the brake line broke then I would have driven the car through the entire front of the business and the front desk area which could have injured some employees inside. I do not recall the exact cost for this repair. I am guessing about $200 maybe more, but that also had to include the tow charge.

- , Milan, OH, USA