CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

2003 Ford Taurus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jan 012010

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that both the blower motor and the interior lights experienced failures. As a result, hot air would not blow from the vents and the windshield could not be defrosted. The interior lights illuminated constantly and drained the battery prematurely. The dealer reprogrammed the electrical system computer and corrected the interior light failure. The blower motor failure was not corrected. The failure mileage was 82,555 and the current mileage 85,754. Updated 03/05/12 updated 03/06/12

- Lake Elsinore , CA, USA

Nov 232011

Taurus 6-cyl

Water leak on passenger floor, shorted blower motor.

- Goldendale, WA, USA

Oct 052011

Taurus 6-cyl

A water leak, possibly from a faulty seal, onto the passenger interior floor board also caused my ac/heater blower motor to short out. My heater switch will only work in the maximum position. From what I have read it is due to a heater motor resistor, which has caused similar problems for other Taurus owners. I could not get Ford to act even though a related recall existed under 03V087000.

- Porthill, ID, USA

Aug 102010

Taurus 6-cyl

Power windows will not roll up or down, mirrors do not work, inside lights are out. Ford replaced GEM module a couple of years before for the same problem costing me money at that time. When the windows would not roll up or down, Ford would replace fuse and in a few minutes the fuse would blow, again and again they did this and now they are not interested in fixing the problems since the vehicle is older and not under warranty and they claim fixing it would cost more than the vehicle is worth. I have a very good vehicle and would like to use the windows and mirrors and especially the lights inside and I feel this is definitely a safety hazard to me since I travel alone a lot each year. I have contacted Ford and they repeatly state that they do not have any recalls and are not aware of such problems. I even sent them websites from people who are having these problems with the windows. All you have to do is goggle: Taurus window problems and there are numerous owners with this problem. Hope you can help with this matter as Ford is not listening to us.....

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 012011

Taurus

When my car is parked in the rain, water will leak into the passenger side floorboard of the passenger compartment. On approximately February 1, 2011, it shorted out the blower motor that cools/heats the passenger compartment after sitting in the rain at the airport parking lot. Since then, I have experienced several instances of water in the passenger floorboard. I had experienced the same water leak in 2006, but the short of the blower did not occur until this year.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Feb 262011

Taurus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Taurus. The contact stated while driving 20 mph, the exterior lights and the instrument panel lights failed simutaneously. The light would remain off for approximatley five to ten seconds before re-illuminating. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were contacted to report the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Jan 142011

Taurus 6-cyl

1st occurrence: Driving on freeway, all electrical power lost except antitheft light on dash on. Turn signals not functioning, was lucky to get to shoulder, no hazards worked while on shoulder. Stranded for approx 1 hr when all power came back and car functioned normally. 2nd occurrence; car was parked at work, antitheft light on and all electrical dead leaving driver stranded. Will be towing to Ford dealership if it doesn't start tomorrow.

- Arcadia, CA, USA

Aug 012010

Taurus 6-cyl

Repeated stalling of my 2003 Ford Taurus upon deceleration. RPM's drop to around 500 and then the engine either surges to approximately 1200 rpms (3 times in a row) and then idles normally or stalls. Oddly if I shut off the blower fan, and shut off the radio I can prevent the stall but I still get the RPM bounce. There are no codes recorded in the onboard computer when this occurs. This happens very frequently and is very dangerous as I loose all power while operating the vehicle in traffic.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Nov 012010

Taurus

I had to have my transmission rebuilt last Dec and now am experiencing electrical problems, my signal lights/hazard lights do not work and was told the wires and harness need to be replaced. Hinges that hold rear window in have snapped off, window held in place by lock.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Nov 202008

Taurus 6-cyl

Heat/ac fan blows only on high. Replaced cowl panel and installed rain hat and blower resistor 11/08; blower motor resistor found defective 7/10 and replaced. Heat/ac fan blows only on high today 12/10.

- Puryear, TN, USA

Sep 172008

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Taurus. While attempting to use the air conditioner or heating system the contact noticed that no air blow out of the vehicles vents. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where the resistor was replaced, however the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the local mechanic where the resistor was replaced for the second. There were no prior warnings. The failure mileage was 51000 and the current mileage was 59000. Updated 12/10/10. The consumer stated he replaced three resistor units and a protective bonnet for the outside air vent and a new blower unit. Updated 12/17/10

- Lorain , OH, USA

Aug 102010

Taurus

Car was going approximately 45 miles per hour when the "check engine" light came on. Car was taken to the car repair shop and it was discovered that the entire computer had to be replaced. A remanufactured computer was installed into the car and the cost was still over $600. Mileage of the car was approximately 155,000.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Feb 012010

Taurus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that when it rained, water made its way into the vehicle from the instrument panel and flooded the front passenger side. Furthermore, the defroster did not work. The steering wheel vibrated and, interior light was always illuminated and the door locks did not engage automatically. The contact called the dealership and was advised to take the vehicle in for repair at his expense. The current and failure mileages were 140,586.

- Louisville , KY, USA

Jan 152010

Taurus

Blower fan failure to operate and when it did work, it made a loud squeaking noise. Finally complete failure. System evaluatlion, fuses, circuit breakers, harnesses all good. Removed fan motor housing and fan motor. Both showed evidence of water collecting in the housing and motor itself. To correct the problem I purchased a fan motor, installed and reassembled everything. My question, is this going to happen again?

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 052010

Taurus

On February 5, 2010 my 2003 Ford Taurus caught fire at 1:00 P.M. parked under our car porch and there was no one in the car and no one had driven the car for 5 hours on Saturday morning. The shreveport fire department was call to keep the house from burning down with the car. The city fire marshall said the fire was caused by the cruise control switch. I told him no one uses the cruise control in that car because we just go in town and there is a red light at every corner. He stated that he had been to many other fires just like this one and it was always the cruise control switch. My husband is emotionally disabled and I nearly had a nervous breakdown just the sight that our investment was burning up and there was nothing we could do. I have call the fire marshall for a written copy of his report. I have taken pictures of the vehicle and their is some minor damages and lots of smoke damage to done to the house.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Dec 112009

Taurus

My 2003 Ford Taurus SE has been cutting out while I am driving. All power goes out and the lights flash on the dash like a christmas tree. This problem has been occurring for about 9 months now and I have had it to the dealership 3 times only to have them tell me that there is nothing wrong with the car. Everything locks up on the car, including the steering column and the brakes, and I am unable to do anything. After 3-8 seconds it will start itself back up again and I regain full control of the car. I have no idea why, but when I was trying to figure it out, I came across this website of people who have experienced the same thing and gotten no answers: www.Ford-forums.com/Ford-Taurus/10048-Taurus-shuts-off-starts-itself-while-driving.html if you can help me, please do! it's just not safe for my 1-year-old and I to be driving around unsure of when the car will do this again!! it's a horrible accident waiting to happen!

- Champlin, MN, USA

Jul 082009

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Taurus. While driving 65 mph in rainy conditions, there was excessive condensation on the windows. The air conditioner was activated, but then suddenly failed without warning. The windshield was unable to defrost, which resulted in reduced visibility. The driver pulled over to the side of the road and cleared off the windows. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they stated that the blower motor possibly failed due to water leakage as rust was present. The vehicle was repaired. The failure was mileage 127,600 and current mileage was 127,800. Updated 08/21/09. Updated 08/26/09.

- Strugeon Lake, MN, USA

Mar 162009

Taurus

2003 Ford Taurus wagon. There are serious safety issues that need to be addressed by a recall: Water leaking through the cabin air filter area into cabin compartment and seizing and overheating heating resistor and heater blower motor. My Ford dealer told me there were no recalls for these problems on my car which is no longer under warranty the water leaking through the cabin air filter area into the cabin compartment in many 2001-3 Taurus's have caused their heater blower motors to bind or seize which also burns out the blower resistor. It also eventually causes mold to form in the heater area and under the dampened carpeting. After noting a burning smell several times in my car's cabin after starting my heater fan, my heater defroster blower at first would not work- only to work a bit later-until it finally ceased to work completely. On at least 3 occasions when this happened my vision while driving was severely impeded due to the windshield fogging or icing up, as the dead blower could not defrost it. When I pulled the heater motor and resistor out (still wired) I discovered the cause of the burning smell. When I turned the ignition and fan switch on, the motor seized which caused the resistor to overheat to the point that literally flames were shooting out of the resistor! luckily I shut the fan off completely when I smelled the burning resistor but it is fortunate the car did not catch on fire. Ford is well are of this problem and has issued a technical service bulletin # 04-15-3 to resolve it. The heater blower motor and resistor must be replaced along with the passenger side windshield cowl (which apparently warps from the sun and heat) and an additional piece of rubber molding installed on the rain hat over the cabin air filter. Additionally an area near the over the cabin air filter must be silicone caulked and some foam insulation removed for proper drainage. I repeat the above are serious safety issues that need to be addressed by a recall.

- Holden, MA, USA

Jan 032008

Taurus

About 3 months ago, my windshield wipers began turning themselves on and off for various lengths of time, while switched off. Now they run almost non stop. Dealer suggests multifunction switch (I changed it -didn't work), or a GEM module. A search at Taurus car club sites shows this to be a common problem. Consumer reports identifies overall electrical problems in all Taurus' to be a common issue.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Feb 232009

Taurus

I currently own a 2003 Ford Taurus sedan. Twice in the last 2 or 3 years I noticed water on the carpet on the front passenger side of the vehicle. Well, over the last few weeks the blower motor started acting abnormally. Finally, on February 23, 2009, I had to take the car to a local dealer to have the blower motor, a resistor bank, a piece of cowl top plastic and some weatherproof gasket replaced. I learned just prior to taking the vehicle in that there was a "tsb" about this same problem for a range of vehicles built between 2001 and 2003. The cost of these repairs was $237 in labor and approximately $200 in parts. I am annoyed and irritated that Ford Motor Company still can't learn how to make cars, test them as long as they do, build them and then I experience this particular problem that they already knew about, six years after purchasing the vehicle brand new. It was also a potential safety hazard that the blower failed during extremely cold weather operations. I had to park the vehicle at home because there was no heat or any way to defrost the inside of the windshield.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA