CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

8.7

$3,150.00

2. replace engine (1 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Jun 022014

Taurus SE 3.0l2V6 cyl

First time my wife let me drive this car. Her mother was in hospital and I had to run for supplies. The engine oil light came on and the car stopped on highway. Three hours after I called for help the garage had the car and we came to the conclusion the oil pump broke. To make a long story short, the gear shaft that controls the valves also has a gear on it which runs the oil pump. This stripped out, which caused major engine failure. The car only had 60,000 miles on it. I then had to replace with another engine. We thought we bought a good used car. FORD (Found On Road Dead)

- , Wolcott, VT, USA

Feb 152012

Taurus SES 3.0L

Family owned and well maintained. The piston rod was thrown with normal driving at 47,000 miles. Ford said they would not stand behind it. This will be my last Ford. I will now continue to drive my 97 Honda Accord with 250,000 miles that I have never had a problem with.

- , New Albany, IN, USA

Dec 112006

Taurus SES V6

I have had this car for 39 months and the fuel sensor light went out at 36 months and the engine is completely destroyed at 60,000 miles. Maintained the car well - always changed oil every 3,000 miles, 4-brand new tires, new battery, front and back brakes.

Driving down the freeway and it just died. Terrible car.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA