Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

2003 Ford Taurus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Oct 262015

The transmission will not shift into any gear

- Hugo, OK, USA

Jul 142015

Starter kept going out

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Sep 222015

Was driving down a hill.. went to press the gas all it did was rpms went up I went no where.. had to sit side of road for hours Ford has over millions of complaints and no has done anything about this.. it needs to be recalled

- Jasper, AL, USA

Jun 072015

While driving to work on a freeway in AZ, doing approx 70 in the left lane my vehicle stopped moving forward and the RPM's went from normal to revving. I immediately put the car in neutral and went into the right lane and took the off ramp and coasted into a strip mall. The vehicle would not go into anything but park. Drive or reverse didn't work. I left the car there. That evening I read a lot of information about this same think happening to many Ford owners. All theses incidents were the same, torque converter, it stated that the torque converter was manufactured with "too small splines" and were an inferior Ford part. It also stated that a company named dacco had made a new updated converter with larger splines that would hold up better and they are sold at autozone for $120. My car is now being looked at and they told me I would have to have my transmission rebuilt (anywhere from $2000 - $3000). This is ridiculous, why hasn't this been placed on the manufacturer (Ford) for the inferior part.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 132014

Taurus 6-cyl

The vehicle suffered a broken passenger side front suspension spring. It immediately cut through and deflated the front tire. It is luck that this happened at very slow speed, if it happened at highway speed, loss of control would have been likely. The broken coil spring "hooked" the tire and cut the tire on the inside sidewall a full 360 degree separating the inside of the tire from the tread surface. It was difficult to move the vehicle in a desired direction. It was easier to park the vehicle safely by backing up to the curb. I understand that earlier model year Ford Taurus' were recalled for the same type of spring failure.

- North Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

May 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving about 40mph and the car started to accelerate without pressing the gas pedal. I pulled into a parking lot and was forced to press hard on my brakes to get the car to slow down and stop.

- Collinsville, IL, USA

Jan 152012

Left front spring cracked/broke, shredded front left tire.

- Westmont, IL, USA

Aug 102010

Taurus 6-cyl

Power windows will not roll up or down, mirrors do not work, inside lights are out. Ford replaced GEM module a couple of years before for the same problem costing me money at that time. When the windows would not roll up or down, Ford would replace fuse and in a few minutes the fuse would blow, again and again they did this and now they are not interested in fixing the problems since the vehicle is older and not under warranty and they claim fixing it would cost more than the vehicle is worth. I have a very good vehicle and would like to use the windows and mirrors and especially the lights inside and I feel this is definitely a safety hazard to me since I travel alone a lot each year. I have contacted Ford and they repeatly state that they do not have any recalls and are not aware of such problems. I even sent them websites from people who are having these problems with the windows. All you have to do is goggle: Taurus window problems and there are numerous owners with this problem. Hope you can help with this matter as Ford is not listening to us.....

- Davenport, IA, USA

Sep 042011

Taurus 6-cyl

Was driving down highway with my 2 children in the car, going speed limit 65, when car failed to engage, engine revved but car would not go forwards or backwards, almost hit by on coming traffic while stuck in road. Rest of car is like new......... wtf?

- Guilford, NY, USA

Jan 132011

My car hadn't given any warning of transmission problems. It was serviced regularly, and we had bought it new, so we knew its history. I turned off the highway, onto my street (up a hill) and the car suddenly acted as if it were in neutral. Would not accelerate. I managed to back it to the left side of the street, so it would be out of traffic. Called the tow truck. If this had happened while on the highway, I could have easily been killed. I have found that many people have had this experience with Ford Taurus. The transmission on 2003S has given out with no warning, in the middle of traffic. This is a serious problem that should be investigated.

- Cohoes , NY, USA

May 232005

Taurus 6-cyl

Condensation from the air conditioning drain tube leaks between the fire wall into the passenger side car interior. This makes the carpet padding wet and creates mildew and bacteria. This creates a potential health hazard and it will agravate simtoms for people with alergies. I suspect the seal between the firewall and the A/C condensation drain tube is to blame. A better seal may resolve this problem.

- Kings Bay, GA, USA

Feb 142004

Taurus 6-cyl

Water leaking on floorboard on the passenger side front, I have taken it in to the dealer 4 times since I purchased this car, the last time was Jan 2004 and I have to take it infor the 5th time on Thursday for the same problem. They replaced the blower moter and charged me $50 dollars for my quality care deductable, and im still having the same problem.

- Hebron, IN, USA