2005 Ford Taurus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Taurus:

2005 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 292009

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired four times but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced again. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,847.

- Port, AL, USA

Mar 302016

2005 Ford Taurus with 53,000 miles has a problem that the engine accelerates on it's own while driving. The engine also revs up to 4000rpm in park on its own. Vehicle must be turned off and the accelerator must be pressed hard to "reset" the problem. Based on research online and previous investigation by the NHTSA, this appears to be a common complaint and issue with this model year.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jul 202015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 25 mph, the transmission exhibited intermittent hesitation. Also, while accelerating from a complete stop, the vehicle stalled without warning and restarted normally. The failure became progressively worse. The failure recurred numerous times. Most recently, the vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power train control module would need to be replaced. The part was on backorder. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Aug 012015

Tranny went out while going down highway at 55 mph. Car went down to 15 mph. Was almost rear-ended by other vehicles. Was not aware of the manufacture defect at the time. Ford will not issue a recall even though a substantial number of same make/model/year were affected.

- New Buffalo, MI, USA

Jul 072015

Taurus 6-cyl

I saw a recall notice in the news: 06N07 7807 for my vehicle powertrain control module PCM recalibrating for the flex fuel. I never received any notices by usps and have lived at the same address since 1984. I had the Taurus into two different Ford dealerships for service and no one mentioned the recall. As I am retired military my vehicles are always kept in top condition for travel at anytime. I was refused service on the Taurus ( tow different Ford dealership had completed work on the Taurus, without taking care of the recall) the service rep stated that the time for repair had passed. No wonder Ford Motor Company stock is down in the time passed, (I have service bills that show that two different Ford dealerships and I do have starting problems with the E85 fuel. I am wondering if other consumers have the same problem with the lack of notices for recall. I just want another dealership to repair the problem and make a customer and shareholder happy...updated 08/27/15

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. While driving at 40 mph, the check transmission warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle hesitated to stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that there was transmission failure. The vehicle transmission module was reprogrammed however the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 169,904.

- Marion, SC, USA

May 182015

Traveling on interstate highway at 70mph. Suddenly the transmission gears disengage and there is no more acceleration. I coast to the side of the road. Engine is running, but the vehicle will not move when shifted in any gear (forward or reverse). Towed to nearest Ford dealership. They suspect torque converter and/or full transmission failure.

- Ottawa, KS, USA

Apr 052015

Taurus 6-cyl

Was heading home from fishing to have easter dinner with the family I was in the right lane going to pass a truck on the express way to the left lane, when I went to give it gas to go around him, I got nothing like the car was in neutral, rpms went up and I started slowing noise no nothing so I sat on the side of the road for 2 hours waiting for a tow to get it home. Since it was easter Sunday I had no where to tow it too. I've been doing some research and looks like a torque converter not 100 percent sure until I dig into it. But I did buy this car used and have not had a problem in 2 years, got the extended warranty and what do you know I was 1600 miles over the limit so no warranty. I'm dam well not going to pay for this and ill be calling the finance company to come get it still making payments, cause if it going to cost me 1800 to fix it, no way cars only worth 2500.

- Joliet , IL, USA

Mar 272015

While traveling at 35 mile per hour the I removed my foot from the accelerator and the car continued in a manner as if it was on cruise control. I tapped the pedal a few times and put my foot behind and pulled and it released. Earlier my daughter was driving the car and reported that it accelerated and would not stop so she pulled into a parking lot nearly missing another vehicle and she turned the vehicle off.

- Landisville, PA, USA

Mar 112015

Taurus 6-cyl

Vehicle came to a stop, then lost all drive and reverse. No warning or noises detected. Possible problem might be striped splines in torque converter of transmission. When this happens all pump pressure is lost and the transmission will appear to be in neutral. From what I have heard this is a common problem with this transmission.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 172015

Taurus 6-cyl

My daughter was driving down the road going 35 mph, when there was sudden acceleration and the pedal got stuck. The engine was at about 4,000 RPM. There was no traffic, so she was able to pull over and shut the car off, however, it was extremely difficult for her to brake. This is the second time this has happened, and we recently had the transmission and the accelerator wiring replaced.

- Novi, MI, USA

Dec 152014

I was stopped at a traffic light and as I began to move off to make a right hand turn the car immediately began to pick up sped without me pushing down on the accelerator. The sped increased abruptly and seemed to be overpowering the brakes. I move the gear shift lever(automatic transmission) to neutral and the engine continued to significantly increase it's revs. I stomped on the accelerator while the car was traveling close to 60 mph, now coasting in neutral, and the engine revs began to slow down. This would have resulted in a very dangerous situation had my daughter, a novice driver of six months, been behind the wheel.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

Jul 012014

Transmission went out.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 252014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 60 mph uphill, the speed suddenly decreased to 20 mph. The speed increased after the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. A local mechanic disconnected the cruise control, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 114,000.

- Morgantown , WV, USA

Jul 162014

Taurus 6-cyl

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014, I was driving on us hwy 206 in flanders, NJ, when my car stopped responding to the accelerator. The engine was running, but pressing down on the gas pedal did nothing. I quickly maneuvered the car to the shoulder, almost causing an accident. The car wouldn't move in any gear, even reverse, however, nothing was wrong with the engine as it was still running. I was towed home and research the problem. Apparently, this has happened to many other Ford Taurus owners when the splines on the torque converter fail, rendering the transmission inoperable and the car suddenly unresponsive when pressing on the accelerator. I'm lucky I wasn't hit from behind on the highway. This is a dangerous situation that should be investigated. A recall should be issued to address this problem and replace the faulty torque converter. On July 8, 2014, Ford issued a recall for the Ford Taurus, and other models, for the same problem, but my year wasn't part of the recall. Why" in January 2012, Ford issued a recall for faulty torque converters for 450K SUVS and vans. But the Taurus wasn't, again, why? are the lives of Taurus owners worth any less than SUV/minivan owners"

- Flanders, NJ, USA

May 212014

While driving with my two young children in the car on the freeway, I noticed that I seemed to keep picking up speed even after I had taken my foot off the gas pedal. I first attempted to push and pull on the gas pedal thinking it was stuck but no success, I then attempted to pull off the freeway and turn the engine off but the car would not come to a complete stop while pushing the brake. I then placed the car in neutral and attempted to stop, still unable to come to a complete stop. I slowed down as much as I could and threw the car in park, with the engine still attempting to go! I immediately turned the car off and had aaa come out to assess the vehicle. I do not understand why this has been an ongoing issue for so many of the same vehicles and nothing has been done for years!!! its better to be proactive and have the part fixed than to not fix the issue and have accidents from this issue!

- Grove City, OH, USA

Dec 152011

I was driving on the highway going about 65 miles per hour and the car just began to speed up and the peddle left from my foot and I had to put the car in neutral and punch on the peddle to try to stop it from going to 100. This has happened several times even at a 25-35 mph pace. The car will just take off. I am currently not able to drive this car due to my safety. This issue with the transmission that I had to replace is, it would not go into 2nd gear, like if I came to a stop and then tried to accelerate, the car would only go about 5 miles per hour. I could not drive it in the streets because it could not keep up with the traffic so I had to have the transmission replaced and out of pocket almost 3K. At the time the car only had about 25000 miles on it.

- Garfield Heights , OH, USA

May 032014

Was going up highway, then without any warning rpms raced, managed to get to side of road no warnings nothing.starts fine.any gear seems like neutral or park.looked online and found several complaints about torque converter splines not being thick enough.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

May 032014

Taurus 6-cyl

Throttle sticks at cruising speed, and won't release without kicking accelerator pedal. Cruise control cable causing throttle not to return to idle position when letting off accelerator pedal! car maintained speed if not slowed by braking without cruise control activated. Removed cruise control cable and throttle works fine, however Ford dealer wants to replace throttle body for $400 and not replace cable? this same vehicle also has an intermittent hard shift problem with the transmission between 1st and 2nd gear approx. 5% of the, but runs fine the rest of the time, dealer says it would need to replace the entire transmission for $3300 but vehicle is now valued around that!

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Jan 102014

Taurus 6-cyl

The gas pedal seems to be stuck and the car starts accelerating. My wife became panicked and was about to crash into another car. The problem can be solved by putting the gearshift into neutral and press the gas pedal to the bottom, then it returns to the normal. The problem is very serious and can lead to accidents in hectic situations.

- New Orleans, LA, USA