8.8

$2,186.00

2. replace transmission (43 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (42 reports)
  4. repair torque converter (18 reports)
  5. ford should repair this (17 reports)
2005 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Taurus:

2005 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Jun 152014

Taurus ES

My mother is 76 yrs old and on social security. She has a 2005 Ford Taurus with 85,000 miles. We are driving down the road and the RPM's jump up between 4 and 5, the check transmission light comes on and the car won't go over 20 mph. It costs $2150 that she will never get paid off. I wonder if the Better Business Bureau can help with this problem if there are enough complaints. I know I will never buy a Ford.

- , Washington Court House, Ohio, USA

May 202011

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

I'm 18 years old and received a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 for my birthday. It was my dad's and it was handed down to me . The car always had some sort of transmission problems but grew worse when I received it. As I read all the other complaints on this particular 2005 Taurus I realize that Ford makes these transmission completely sh*tty.

When I accelerate from a stop it jerks hard when shifting from 1st to 2nd, it's annoying AF. All the diagnostics I get is rebuild the tranny or replace it!! Also realize that this is no coincidence that people have the SAME PROBLEM with the SAME YEAR Ford Taurus. This is complete BS and Ford should have recalled this a LONG time ago.. I always thought Ford was the greatest but I'm glad I learned at a young age to never buy a Ford again. They can care less about their customers and they build sh*tty transmissions with warranty of only 60k!?!?!? WHAT THE F*CK!!!

Seriously people, this is a serious problem with these cars and Ford should be sued and recall all Ford Taurus' with these problems and ship us all new cars, those rat bastards.. It's not people as car owners, its FORD with their carelessness. I can build a better tranny make of sticks twigs and glue!!!!! My father always kept this car in great condition, treated it like a baby as he is a prof. Mechanic. I am so furious and I feel other peoples struggles because this is complete crap.. RECALL THE 2005 FORD TAURUS AND GIVE US NEW CARS YOU DICKS. I know everyone agrees because these transmissions suck ASS!! . Start a class lawsuit people .

Please. Never buy a Ford, they don't give 2 sh*ts about you and they don't take in consideration that these cars are dangerous and can get people killed with these transmissions.

- , Lakeside, CA, USA

Sep 112013

Taurus 3.0L

Ford dealer claims unaware of any issues.

Past 3 yr. 36000 mi.

I am going foreign now.

- , schererville, IN, USA

Oct 092010

Taurus 3.0L V6

First time Ford buyer! I did the research, consumer reports, edmunds recommendations. All seemed great! Purchased used, 3/07 - 29,000 miles. Car was really great for past 3 1/2 years. Only replaced tires, and did regular oil changes.

Car now has 65,268 miles, yet this past weekend on a major highway at 70 mph the engine suddenly revved to 7,000 rpm, and the car suddenly had no gears. I was passing another car at the time, I managed to get to the side of the road without getting killed. Park and Neutral was all I had. No warning light, no unusual noise. No indication what so ever! Towed 100 miles to get it home to regular repair shop. 4 days later, I just Paid $2,999 dollars for a new rebuilt Jasper transmission with a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I called Ford's complaint line. They are so sorry, but can do nothing for me. Powertrain warranty on this car is 3 years or 36,000 miles! A rebuilt transmission comes with a better warranty than a new Ford! That says alot about Ford!

From what I have seen on this website and many others this is a common occurence with the 2005 Taurus, 100's of people have had the same problem, yet Ford does nothing! No recalls at all on the 2005!

$3,000 certainly makes up for 3 years of no repairs! Still owe 18 months on the car, so had no choice but to repair it. Everyone I know told me not to buy a Ford when I purchased this, I ignored them based on the research. Clearly, I was wrong! Be assured, I will never buy a Ford again!

- , Dryden, NY, USA

Mar 262012

Taurus SEL V6

I drove my Ford Taurus to work and it was working fine , whenever I got off and started the car up it wouldn't move in any gear, it started up perfectly I've never had any transmission problems with it before, but it wouldn't drive or reverse. This really frustrated me I actually only owed a little over $700 left to finish my last payment. Now I had a $2000 transmission problem, I kept it well maintenance my car actually stills looks pretty much brand new. So yeah never buying ford again.

- , College Station, TX, USA

May 152012

Taurus

I've had my 2005 Ford Taurus for 5 years and about a year ago Ive noticed after highway driving, as I'm accelerating from a stop the car "jumps forward" as it gets into gear, its getting more often. So I took it in to a friend who works at a transmission shop. Yep, sure enough its the trans. I'm disappointed because this car has been great for me, now I have to dump over $1000 bucks into it. Thanks FORD!!!!

- , Highland, IN, USA

Jul 012013

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW, IT MAY SAVE YOU A LOT* OF MONEY AND HEADACHE*

I had already read this site before regarding transmission issues months ago when my car experienced juddering (turned out to be a bad exhaust system and unrelated to this) so I was aware of the likelihood of this used car having transmission issues.

As I feared, I left for work on July 1st and whilst driving, I revved, and it didn't go anywhere. Transmission fault.

I had it sent to the dealer who charged $100 to look at it and conclude, and I quote: "the entire transmission is messed up: burnt oil and everything. It needs to be entirely replaced."

I did research on the link I added to this site (Please read - it's extremely useful) http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/167530-transmission-died-torque-converter-failure.html

A lot of people had advised it WASNT a transmission problem in entirety, but a torque converter whose splines are too thin and as a result, tend to wear out. They all described the exact same symptom: Car revs, but won't move in any gear.

I spoke to a transmission shop near me, who funnily enough, have 2 tauruses parked there now. Apparently, the torque converter is an issue with tauruses in general, not just the '05, and they fix 5/6 PER MONTH!!

They replaced the converter and it works perfectly. They told me that they've never seen a repeat issue once they put in a converter with stronger splines.

TL;DR: The dealer wants to throw in a whole new transmission for $3310 and claimed it was totally fried. It wasn't. Swapped torque converter for $650 and works perfectly. PLEASE CHECK WITH A GOOD TRANSMISSION SHOP BEFORE AGREEING TO SWAP A TRANSMISSION - if they do, you get a new converter, and that's all you need - my dealership swore up and down it wasn't the converter, but then they wanted $3310 of my money!

Good luck, all.

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Jun 012007

Taurus SE

I had the car two years,bought in 2005 and in 2007 the transmission went out! NOT HAPPY

The cost to repair was 2100 since of course was out of warranty

Was told by the mechanic that Ford is aware of this problem and will not do a recall.Getting ready to purchase a new car and highly doubt it will be a Ford which is sad because I have always bought Fords.

- , Buchanan, MI, USA

Jun 072013

Taurus 3.0L V6

I was on my way to the hospital around 6am with my 5 year old daughter after she had been up sick all night. i stopped at a intersection and started to pull out and the car would not move, just rev up. no forward or reverse gears. I had to push the car over to the side of the road and call for somebody to come pick us up and continue to the hospital. I have owned 4 new fords over the past 15 years and and this will definetly be my last. if I can only get a 100 000km on it and the tranny quits. And from what i have been reading a lot of people has had the same issue with the transmission in these Taurus's and Ford hasn't accepted any reponsibility what so ever for their screw up..

- , Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Feb 132013

Taurus

Three years ago my 2005 for Taurus started to excelerate on its own....very scary!! my neighbor was able to rig it with a zip tie and I have not had troubles with that. However, within the last month my Taurus has decided it doesn't want to excelerate as quickly as most cars. Flushed the transmission fluid, still having problems. Diagnostic testing today says it transmission failure. I am ticked.....thought I could atleast get 100,000 miles out of this car. I am so done with Fords. Even if someone gave me a ford I think I would pay them to take it away! what a RIP!!!

- , North Oaks, Minnesota, USA

May 272013

Taurus SES 3.2L

Well, it looks like I'm in good company. My son and I were coming home at 8:30 p.m. I stopped at a red light and when it turned green, I turned left. Midway through the turn, I lost power. I coasted into a gas station parking lot and turned off the car. I turned the car back on but it wouldn't move. I had to call my 71-year-old mother to come pick us up. By the time my mom got back to her own home it was after 10 p.m.! The next day my brother took me back to the gas station so we could meet a tow truck. My car was towed to garage. I found out today that it will cost $2400.00 plus tax to rebuild my transmission. I have the option of getting a remanufactured transmission for $2800, or a Jasper transmission for $3800. I am getting it rebuilt because I can't afford a new car or even an old car. I am hoping the rebuilt tranny will last at least 100,000 miles. The original lasted 155,000 miles. Ford should definitely recall the 2005 transmission, and I will join in class action suit that may result from this problem. Thanks for all your help Mom!!

Update from Aug 28, 2014: Well I had the transmission rebuilt and it worked for a little over a year. Yesterday the Check Transmission light came on and, yes, I need another transmission. This time I have 181,000 miles on the car. The rebuilt tranny lasted almost 30,000 miles. I am so disgusted! My now 72-year-old mother had to save me again!!! I should have bought a different car last time this happened since I am going to have to buy a different car this time around--then at least I wouldn't have wasted my time and money.

- , Evansville, IN, USA

May 282013

Taurus SE 3.0L

Seen all the complaints online. while on a trip to Va , from Oh lost power. while in gear will not go forward. seems like with the internet and social media if enough people report or complain to ford they should do a recall or send out notices. I had a child in the car and was in the middle of nowhere.

- , Port Clinton, OH, USA

Jan 312012

Taurus SEL V6

I have had two transmissions put in this car. One in 2007 which was covered under a warranty that I had and the other just recently but was only given 6 months warranty (paid $2,400) and had continued problems. Now, I will have to replace again has the transmission is continually revving up. I will never ever buy another Ford product. It is true that Ford transmissions do not last long and are no good. The car looks good on the outside but under the hood is another story.

- , Washington, D.C, USA

Apr 172013

Taurus ES 3.0L

Wife driving home from work no warning engine revved up pulled over car would not move in any gear i seen on web site a lot other people with same prob. ask around other mechanic. said that year converter goes and wipes out tranny. I used to be a ford mechanic. Owned nothing but fords never had a prob. with any of them like this if ford recalls the converter we wouldn;t lose the tranny. converter 220.00 dollars now converter and tranny 3000.00 dollars out my pocket something wrong with this picture

- , Hesston, PA, USA

Mar 042013

Taurus

Only 70K and needs a new transmission. My family have been avid Ford owners for many years, but my experience with this Taurus has swayed us all. I will never buy Ford again. The fact that this particular year of Taurus has faulty transmissions says to me that Ford should be responsible. I do not have 2 or 3 thousand dollars to fix a car and I depend on my car to get back and forth to work. This has been a devastating blow and I still don't know if I should pay to have it repaired or just buy a new (non Ford) car. My problem is the same as so many others. Engine light came on, starting noticing shifting issues, took it to my mechanic and sure enough he told me I needed a new transmission to the tune of $2500. or more. My advice to all.. Don't buy Ford and definitely NOT Taurus!

- , Grandview, MO, USA

Feb 192013

Taurus SEL 24 valve V6

Bought 2005 Ford Taurus SEL January, 2011. I fell in love with this car. Bought from elderly woman that

could not drive anymore. Car had 22000 miles on it. Then last Tuesday, went to take off at stop sign, engine

just revved and car would not move. I had to call wrecker to take to shop. Mechanic said that the transmission

was gone and would have to be rebuilt. It only has 50000 miles on it. I could not believe it. I will never drive

a ford again.

- , Lone Grove, OK, USA

Dec 052012

Taurus

I apparently fell victim to the same problems as everyone else. The transmission just stopped working while traveling on the interstate. Engine would rev, but nothing happened. I was told by the shop the torque converter blew and sprayed metal in to the transmission. It cost me just under 3 grand to get a new rebuilt transmission from ford. If it was a fluke I wouldn't mind so much, things break. There are far too many of these same problems in the same year and model for it to just be a coincidence.

- , Ellensburg, Washington, USA

Dec 012012

Taurus

I am the original owner of my 2005 Ford Taurus there is only 35,163 miles on the car. The car is in the shop due to transmission failure. The transmission is in such bad shape that it can not be rebuilt. Of course the transmission failed shortly after the power train warranty expired. I phoned the Ford Company and was told to keep my receipt in case of a recall!! I have taken excellent care of this vehicle with regular maintenance. There should be no reason that it should need a new transmission! I have been reading on line and by what I'm seeing I'm not the only on with this problem.

- , Newark, Delawawe, USA

Sep 212012

Taurus

had the same problem as many others. Going home from church with my hubby and three kids. Got off highway and suddenly car revs up and acts like it is in neutral. Sucks because I already put tons of money into getting new tires, new battery, new alternator, and new something else. I still owe money on this piece of crap. not very happy, especially since I find out so many others have this issue. never again will i buy a ford. not happy at all.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Sep 242012

Taurus SE 3.5L V6

I have driven new Ford's since 1987. After getting off work around 5 PM I hopped into car, started it and put in D and motor engine raised and car went nowhere. I turned engine off and tried again only to go nowhere. Checked transmission fluid to find it was full. Had the car towed to local garage to find out transmission was bad. The dealership told me the drive train warranty was past 60,000 miles and past it's warranty. This is the first time I found out Ford covers only 60,000 instead 100,000 drive train warranty. After talking to Ford for some help on repair cost of this defective tranny they simply said NO. I explained all the complaints on this 2005 Ford Taurus tranny problems, they should recall them because there is a problem. They simply said NO again. I told them I purchased 15 new Ford's since 1987 including (4) F150's, (3) Explorer's, (4) Taurus, (2)Mustang's and still owned 2008 & 2010 Taurus and said they need to help loyal Ford customers with these tranny problems. I even told them I would stop buying Ford products if they would not step up to the plate and help. They again said NO. That being said, I'm in the process of selling both my Taurus cars. Ford can simply kiss my a**. I will purchase anything but Ford as they will not stand behind their product. They don't care about the customers as they told me to purchase something other than Ford. I am doing just that. STAY AWAY FROM FORD AND YOU CAN AVOID THIS PROBLEM. I recieved a call from Ford Customer Care about my problem to say they were sorry about my problems. This time I said NO thanks to them and told them to take me off their mailing list as I'm no longer a loyal Ford customer.

Jakemn