2006 Ford Taurus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Taurus:

2006 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Apr 042012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact mentioned that there was a short circuit within the radio, which caused the speedometer and the windshield wipers to fail. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure for the air bag however, the mechanic replaced the windshield wipers and radio. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Country Club Hills, MO, USA

Jul 032015

While I was driving my vehicle accelerated to almost 50 mph without me touching the gas pedal in at all. When I tried to break, my breaks did work but not completely. There have been multiple occasions when my vehicle has lost all power and completely shut off, every time being at an extremely busy intersection. My cruise control has been disconnected and the issue still occurs. When I turn my car on now, it goes up to 4,000 rpms by itself in park. Huge safety issue.

- West Salem, WI, USA

May 012013

Taurus 6-cyl

When turning steering wheel, at times an object can be heard rolling around in steering wheel. Also, mileage light is not lighted. It can only be seen at night when dark out. This has been a problem for the last 2 to 3 years. I took vehicle to a St. Cloud, mn Ford dealer on May 22, 2015, to see if the problem may be part of the recent airbag recall. Dealer advised that there is no recall on vehicle and the problem may be unrelated to recall.

- St. Cloud, MN, USA

Mar 192013

Taurus 6-cyl

When driving the car even at speeds of 45 miles per hour it dies. No lights for flashers no power steering no power brakes. It does start back up but in the mean time I am in moving traffic. I have had it in the shop all week they have executed many tests and cannot find the problem. The last time this happened I had my 3 yr old granddaughter in the car and I believe this is very dangerous and could cause a rear end collision.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 032012

Taurus 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Ford Taurus sel 12V, I was driving when all of the sudden, all of the lights on the dashboard (like ABS, brake light, ) lighted up like a christmas tree and then I lost all power to the engine. I hit the gas pedal several times with no response but in about 5-8 seconds later, the car started up by itself with an abrupt and violent jerk forward. It was almost as if I turned the key in the ignition to the off position and then quickly back on.. while I was sitting at a red light, I noticed a whole lot of weird stuff going on. The headlights were dimming in and out, the light on the radio (that green light that lights up the controls) was also dimming in and out, and the odometer needle was jumping up and down between 0mph and 5mph, the radio would make a noise like it was shorting out this was due to car about to shut off suddenly, the car shut off with all the dashboard lights lighting up again and then quickly shut off. I replaced the battery, cleaned all batteries terminal and all grounds in car chassis any suggestions, thanks,

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 082012

Taurus 6-cyl

Their is a pressure pad in the passenger seat to either allow or not allow the airbag to be active and this is not working the air bag is active all the time the seat can be empty and the airbag light will only briefly light up when starting car but go off right away indicating the airbag is active I had my niece in that seat and it did not deactivate and she is 45 pounds if you do not pay close attention to this you will not know you have a issue when your seat is empty the airbag off light in the radio cluster should light up and when a person heavy enuf to activate the air bag sits down the light should go off.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 302010

Taurus 6-cyl

The check battery light would come on while just traveling down the road. This occurs just a random time and in any kind of weather. I had a local inspection station look at and found that the battery was bad. They replaced the battery and the problem still occurs. After a short while the light will go off. I have not had any problem starting the vehicle. I just continues to happen and wonder if something that needs looked into further.

- Townville, PA, USA

Oct 272011

ABS control module was identified at the Ford dealership shop as bad and needing replacement. $1,284 cost for replacement with 33,785 original miles. Without the ABS control module ABS brakes are not available in an emergency situation.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 012011

Taurus 6-cyl

Started with just ABS and "check brake system" light coming on. Escalated to shutting the car totally off while driving freeway speeds. Part of the driving was at night and the lights turned off also making it difficult to pull over and thankfully no one was behind me when it happened. Took it to Ford dealer in yakima and they said they could not get it to do that, even though it did it 3 times enroute and also when I left. Tell me what this is so I can get it fixed! makes the car basically undrivableand dangerous to passengers and other cars on the road.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Oct 032011

Taurus 6-cyl

While driving the car loses power and you have to coast to a safe place to stop. After a few minutes it starts back up and runs fine. This has happened 6 times. 2 dealerships, 2 replaced fuel pumps and modules, 1 replaced processor and battery later its still doing the same thing! now the Ford dealership says they can't go anyfurther with the vehicle because they can't duplicate the problem. I am guessing the hundreds of other 2006 Taurus drivers who have complained about the same problem wasn't enough for Ford to do a recall. But I am telling you if my husband who drives the vehicle dies because of this Ford will have bigger problems because I will sue!

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Aug 282010

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the vehicle would exhibit a loud noise when starting. In addition, the vehicle would also stall sporadically and without warning, the air bag warning light was illuminated and the headlights would continuously deactivate. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 117,340.

- Slorissant, MO, USA

Aug 012011

I have a 2006 Ford Taurus and within the past couple of months it will die while sitting at a redlight. I have to turn off the ignition and restart the car and that usually solves the problem. This has happened about 6 times in the past 2 months. Today, however, it stalled at a redlight and I restarted but as I continued driving, the RPM would drop rapidly when I hit the breaks and it acted like it would die. I continued driving and was going about 45 miles an hour and all of the sudden all the odometers dropped to zero and everything on the dashboard went out. I pushed the gas pedal and then everything came back on. Very strange and now I'm worried the car might die when I'm actually driving and not sitting at a redlight.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jul 082011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the vehicle would smoke when it was turned on. The oil, battery, engine warning light would illuminate on the instrument panel and the vehicle would make a loud noise. The dealer was notified, but did not assist the contact with the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure was not remedied. The vehicle was not repaired.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Sep 012008

He contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. While driving at any speed, the contact stated that the vehicle would suddenly stall without warning. The dealer inspected the vehicle and advised the contact to have the computer upgraded. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The manufacturer had not been notified. No additional repairs were performed. The failure mileage was 14,000 and the current mileage was 38,000.

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 242011

Taurus 6-cyl

On numerous occasions my car has shut off while driving. Everything electrical shuts off and the car itself turns off. Basically the car is electrically dead. I have literally had to put the car in neutral, so it will continue to coast to lessen the chance of being rear ended, switch the ignition to off and pray that the car turns back on when I switch the ignition back on. In most instances this has been successful but on one occasion I was forced to pull off the highway and coast to a complete stop. The intermittent nature of this problem makes it very difficult to diagnose. I have checked the battery connections and the ground wire and all seem to be secure and tight with no "play" that I can determine. I don't believe it is the battery or the car wouldn't start to begin with.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Jul 112010

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated the air bag light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the pad lamp had failed. The contact was told NHTSA recall campaign id number: 06V119000(electrical system: Instrument panel) was related; however, the vehicle was not included. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 107,000.

- Portland, ME, USA

Jun 042010

Taurus 6-cyl

At least 15 times my 2006 Ford Taurus has shut off on me and my wife while driving. When it shuts off all the warning lights come on and we have to put the vehicle in park it starts up again. It happens mostly in the summer when the A/C is on. We have had it checked but nothing is ever found. This has almost caused us to be in a few accidents.

- Loma Linda, CA, USA

Feb 102009

Cowl leak on 2006 Ford Taurus which allows water leak in on passenger side to contact electrical parts including HVAC blower motor and resistor. Blower can stop working and if windows are fogged or need to be defrosted it creates a very hazardous condition impossible to correct. I am told by dealerships this is very common with the Taurus'. if it is so common why don't they (Ford) publicize this or tell you this before you buy a Taurus? this has been repaired twice on my car. Once in February 2009 and again the relay failed in July 2009. Hhs

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Sep 042008

- Janesville, WI, USA

Oct 192007

Car suddenly will not start. Relatively new battery, has not been used to jump other vehicles. When the key is turned on, the lights and radio come on full power, but the needles in the gauge cluster vibrate and buzz and a clicking sound can be heard from the front of the car. Left on someone else battery for 20 minutes, nothing happened when trying to start the car, so cables were pulled off other vehicle and clacked together at same time Taurus was started. The spark led to ignition for some reason.

- Prince Frederick, MD, USA