1.7

hardy worth mentioning

2006 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Taurus:

2006 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Aug 012013

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving to work and the vehicle accelerated out of control. I tried stopping the car, I put it into park, and even while in park it was still revving up to 4 or 5 thousand rpms. I re-started the car hoping this would "re-set" the vehicle. No such luck. As for now, the vehicle's gas pedal is either stuck, or something is wrong with the cruise control cable. Either way, the situation, in my opinion, is extremely dangerous. My brakes began to smoke before I could get the vehicle home and wait for my husband to help me figure out what to do next.

- Salida, CO, USA

Sep 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

Purchased the car in late August 2012. Shortly after purchase car would rev high on cold starts, when placed into gear car sometimes would die. This was not a consistent problem and difficult to describe and identify the issue. By the end of December 2012 the problem became consistent on each cold start. Took car into Firestone. Firestone replaced idle air control valve and cleaned fuel system. First attempt to replace air control valve failed when they believed the new part was defective. Replaced new one with another new one and the car started fine for about a month and went back to inconsistent start ups. Took car back to Firestone. They again replaced air control valve and the problem still was present and I was told to take to the dealership. Took to the Ford dealership, they stated the most recent air control valve placed by Firestone was defective and they replaced air control valve with Ford exclusive part. Picked car up and upon leaving the car suddenly accelerated on its own. I turned the car around and had them look at it again. They could not duplicate the problem or determine what caused the sudden acceleration. Two weeks later the problem appeared again while driving on the highway. I would lift my foot off the gas and the car would accelerate to 60mph before I applied the brake to slow it down. To keep a consistent speed I would have to "ride the brake". I internet searched the problem and came across an article describing the exact problem I was having and that it was under investigation for 2005-06 Ford Taurus for sudden acceleration most likely due to cruise control cable catching on the throttle. Told Ford dealership what I discovered, took the car in and they identified that the cruise control cable was in fact catching on the throttle.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 192013

Taurus 6-cyl

When driving the car even at speeds of 45 miles per hour it dies. No lights for flashers no power steering no power brakes. It does start back up but in the mean time I am in moving traffic. I have had it in the shop all week they have executed many tests and cannot find the problem. The last time this happened I had my 3 yr old granddaughter in the car and I believe this is very dangerous and could cause a rear end collision.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 072013

Taurus 6-cyl

While drive down the street approx 25mph the engine started to rev up and the car accelerated. Even when I tried to brake the car wanted to continue to drive. I tried stomping on the gas pedal, but if didn't have any affect. I pulled off the road shut off the car and restarted the problem did not happen again.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 022012

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving on my way to work, after being stop at a stop sign my car began to accelerate itself. When I left sign my automatic revved up to about 30-35 mph when I attempted to slow down my engine felt as if it was fighting against me. When I reached the parking lot the car sped up as if someone gunned it. When I pulled into a parking spot and placed the car in park my RPM's began to hit up to 4 and 5 (X 1000).

- Edmond , OK, USA

May 062012

Taurus

On May 6, 2012, while driving at highway speeds, I could feel my 2006 Ford Taurus SE accelerating despite my foot not pressing the accelerator, nor the cruise control being engaged. As I pressed the brakes, the car continued to accelerate, with RPM reaching 3000 to 4000. After exiting the highway and placing the vehicle in park, the engine continued to accelerate. In order to stop this rapid acceleration in RPM, I turned off the engine. Upon restarting, the engine immediately revved to over 3000 RPM. If I shifted the vehicle into neutral, the engine would rev to 4000 RPM then drop down to 1000 RPM. This sudden, rapid, acceleration continued to randomly occur as I drove to my destination. I took my vehicle to a Ford dealer for repairs, as I was not near my place of residence. They replaced the idle air control valve. However, as I was driving home from work on August 12,2012, at a speed between 35-40 mph, my Taurus began to accelerate again on its own. I immediately shifted the car into neutral and the RPM went to 4000 and dropped down to 1000. I then shifted the vehicle back to the drive position, and the engine idled fine the rest of my trip home. The best way to describe the rapid acceleration is similar to when using the cruise control. If the cruise control is turned on and you decide to "coast", the engine slows down. But when you press the "resume" button on the cruise control, you can feel the engine pull and the car begin accelerating. This is what it felt like while driving. However, I had not been using the cruise control in either of the aforementioned situations. My mother, my newborn daughter, myself or other motorists could have been killed during this uncontrolled increased acceleration.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Oct 012010

Taurus 6-cyl

Vehicle accelerates by itself while driving and hard to brake, need to tap the gas pedal, neutral in order to stop the vehicle.. also vehicle shuts down by itself while driving around 40 mph hard to control vehicle... scare to drive vehicle specially with my kids....

- San Diego, CA, USA