2000 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Windstar:

2000 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Oct 152011

Windstar 6-cyl

Due to a fluid leak, the speedometer and odometer of the vehicle does not work properly.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Aug 162011

Windstar

The contact owned a 2000 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle emitted a boom sound and caught on fire. As a result, the vehicle was destroyed. The fire marshall appeared on the scene and stated that the fire was caused by the alternator. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure and current mileages were 150.000. The VIN was unknown.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 082011

Windstar 6-cyl

I own a 2000 Ford Windstar and the windshield wipers have quit working for the third time. This always seems to happen while I am driving in the rain, which is not safe at all, but yesterday it happened during a very heavy thunderstorm while I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph! it has always been wiper motor failure and the motor needs to be replaced. I have seen a recall in the past on the 2000 Ford Windstar for this same complaint. I contacted my local dealership and they stated that my Windstar was not included in this recall. As much of a hassle and an expense it is to have the wiper motor replaced, it's still not as much a hassle as it is dangerous to be driving a vehicle that not only do the wipers randomly quit working without any warning but the ABS and traction control will kick off all the time and Ford won't fix or do anything about the failures that so many other Windstar owners continue to have. How many recalls on safety issues do you have to have before the entire vehicle is recalled? the frame, the suspension, the wipers, the speed control system and the anti-lock brake system, all the things that a driver truly needs to safely Transport their family around have been recalled on the Windstar. This doesn't even touch the amount of money that has been spent on the lean system bank 1 & 2 error codes and the engine light still comes on for the same code. I'm sure this has a lot to do the terrible gas mileage that is not even close to what the original sticker quoted!. or the torque converter issues in the transmission that had to be completely rebuilt. A lot of the Windstar's issues started while it was still under warranty and just continued to get worse. If were up to me I would definitely call the vehicle a lemon. P.S. after talking to my neighbor, he also has replaced his Windstar's wiper motor three times. Seems to be happening to more vehicles than just mine.

- Jackson, MO, USA

Jun 282008

Windstar

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the speedometer, fuel and temperature gauges were providing inaccurate readings. Neither the dealer nor manufacturer was contacted in regards to the failure. An independent mechanic diagnosed that the instrument panel would need replacing but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 125,000 and the current mileage was 201,453.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jun 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

I had received a recall notice for my Ford Windstar 09S09. I had taken my vehicle in to the dealership where they ascertained that the part was defective and had leaked. It was noted with Ford that my ABS light was always on, as was the check engine light and that my cruise control did not function any more. My speed indicator and odometer did not function properly either reading only half of the actual speed and mileage. These were all noted and the dealership replaced the defective part but stated that they would not repair the other problems that were caused by the leaked hydraulic fluid. I still have issues with everything stated because they did not do anything to fix these problems just changed the part. At this point I was told that it was too late to do anything because according to Ford the recall case was closed because the defective part was changed. As a consumer, I trusted my dealership to handle the recall in the correct manner instead of leaving all of the problems to continue without notifying me until it was too late, in Ford's words.

- Centreville, MD, USA

Feb 152008

Windstar

We have been experiencing various electrical problems with our Windstar and upon research through the internet found that others have had the same problems. The cruise control has stopped working for the last two years. The ABS and brake lights have periodically come on and then went off. The speedometer will be working fine and then drop to only 20 mph even though we are exceeding that speed. It will then jump back to the proper speed and this process will continue for a period of time.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

Nov 192010

Windstar

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the ABS and brake lights on the battery died. While the contact tried to replace the battery, she noticed that the battery cables melted. The contact called the dealer who stated that the ABS light stayed on which caused the cable to melt. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 125,000.

- Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Oct 252010

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS warning light on my 2000 Ford Windstar van has been coming on intermittently and staying on for some period of time (I.e., years). Reported this several times to the local Ford dealership and they acknowledge that the light is on, but can never figure out the appropriate diagnostics as to what is wrong with the sensors or the ABS system and they have been unwilling to replace anything. Even during the last recall (cruise control wiring harness issue) the mechanics at shults Ford of wexford, pa admitted that the light was on and wouldn't go off, and that they didn't know why, but they made no attempt to replace it. Lately, my light has been lit up more constantly and it seems to me that the braking distances are generally longer. I cannot ascertain if the ABS system is even engaging or not, but it seems that Ford is really not too interested in this problem. I recently applied the brakes during a light rain in which the road was slick from oil/grime because it had not rained in some time, and I heard no evidence of the normal sound of the ABS system. I wanted to submit this to NHTSA so that at least this will be documented in case I get into a serious crash as a result of a faulty ABS system or ABS sensors.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Jan 012009

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and/or traction control sensors are on 24/7. dealer states I have to pay for diagnostic. This causes a problem when applying the brake in snow and rain. Brake system does not function properly. I have consequently lost control of the vehicle and have had to swerve to avoid accidents.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Nov 202009

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS light always comes on. It sometimes comes on after about 15 min of driving, and sometimes it comes right on.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Oct 042010

Windstar

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Windstar. The contact started the vehicle and went back into her house while the vehicle engine continued running. The contact stated that she heard a loud, revving noise and proceeded to turn the vehicle off. She then noticed smoke emitting from under the hood. The fire department was called and in a matter of seconds, the front end of the vehicle was destroyed from the flames. The entire vehicle was in flames and by the time the fire department arrived, the vehicle was destroyed. A fire report was available. The contact stated that there was slight damage to her residential garage and the vent and rubber seals were melted. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 185,000.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Aug 132010

Windstar 6-cyl

I own a 2000 Ford Windstar and recently had recall work done for the faulty scds in which Ford fixed the problem by replacing the switch because it was leaking and then they used some sort of harness to enable the cruise control to work. However, the ABS light is still on and to my knowledge the ABS system is not working. Ford claims the two issues are not related. However, when I had diagnostic work done by my mechanic he pinpointed the ABS/ECM module was defective and not working. That in my opinion links the two issues because the cruise control is tied into that ABS module (which is right below the scds switch). Ford is not taking any responsibility for the ABS module at this point. In reading some other information online it seems that module expands when it gets warm and cause intermittent electrical connection in the unit because the fragile board is being stretched and malformed. The October 2009 recall (to fix the scds switch) will not fix this problem unless you had a fire at the ABS connector. Which too me is ridiculous because Ford knows there is a problem with the ABS module design and because that part costs $800 they are not considering it their issue. They are willing to allow vehicles like mine to travel around without the ABS functioning, which is no doubt a safety issue.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Jul 102008

Windstar

In hot weather my ABS light, speedometer and tach go nuts and jump all over. ABS light stays on in hot weather. 2000 Windstar.

- Coldwater, MI, USA

Aug 212010

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light on my 2000 Ford Windstar comes on intermittently but there's no code in the computer showing a problem this happens if you hit a bump or sometimes for no reason at all.

- Addison, IL, USA

Aug 282010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light followed by fuse blowing and loss of dash light and all instruments(speedometer and odometer) power windows and sliding door not functioning. Occurred 6 times - replaced fuse each time. Last incident, fire occurred on the wiring just below and attached to the master cylinder. Wiring harness completely melted exposing the bare wires which were melted together. At this time separated the wires and taped each wire individually. And secured wires to the side wall of the engine compartment.

- Covington, GA, USA

May 012010

Windstar

Problem began with speedometer not working correctly. The RPM gauge doesn't work. The panel that tells you what gear the vehicle is in is off center so the car doesn't officially go into "P" or any other gear according to the dashboard. The brake lights burnt out. The brake light on the dashboard illuminated. The vehicle is leaking brake fluid.

- Bargersville, IN, USA

May 182010

Windstar

Several weeks ago the ┐check brakes┐ light came on in our 2000 Ford Windstar. The next day the speedometer and the odometer only showed dashes.we went to the Ford dealer they changed the blown fuse and it worked for a couple days since then the fuse had continued to blow now and then but in the last couple days it blows anytime the vehicle starts. So we change the fuse again and then it just blows again a couple minutes or miles later. Also when it dose go out the ABS light stays on and doesn't go out.

- St. Johnsbury , VT, USA

Jul 062009

Windstar

The rear axle hair line began to crack at around 90K miles and is severely crack now at 97K miles and awaiting parts. The part looks to cost around $500 not including installation. The gauges on the car are wacky and seems to work at will and the ABS light continues to come on.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Aug 162010

Windstar

2000 Ford Windstar LX minivan was subject to recall 09S09 due to fires linked to scds 10/27/2009. Took to dealer at which time fusible link was replaced. Still having issues with ABS light coming on and intermittent speedometer/odometer operation since May 2010. Took back to mike castrucci Ford in milford, Ohio and person there had no idea what I was talking about.

- Milford, OH, USA

Aug 102010

Windstar

2000 Ford Windstar LX 3.0. stalling while driving, when parking, while turning. Sometimes will restart but as time has progressed this will not happen. Began while under warranty but would always restart with patience but now has been rowed to dealership last six times. Numerous very costly parts have been replaced since no codes are produced in these events but no solution has been accomplished to alleviating the stall. This is very dangerous in traffic.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA