2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 3 of 10)

Apr 162014

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and the parking brake lights both came on while driving. After having the codes scanned, there were nine codes. C1185, C1198, C1194, C1254, C1246, C1250, C1242, C121 andc1210. There doesn't seem to be any issue with the brakes not working. I read several threads about bad solder joints.

- Derby, KS, USA

Mar 032010

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and hand brake kept coming on intermittently. The braking distance has increased. And now the lights are on almost permanently. Based on reports, am afraid if this is going to result in a fire eventually.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Jul 232014

Windstar 6-cyl

Anti-lock braking system, error 1185, power relay output circuit failure.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 012007

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS light/brake light is on - started 2007- was told it would cost $1200 dollars to fix it; that it was ok to use the car in this condition. 8/14/14- replaced the wheels bearings on the front right and left wheels-after the bearings / and sway bars were replace still hear a grinding noise front the right front of vehicle. Noise becomes more pronounced the longer you drive the vehicle. Also the ABS/brake light is still on when you drive the car.

- Massaapequa Park, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS warning light and parking brake light both illuminated, and according to the manual that indicates that the ABS system was not functional. Both lights now come on and turn off (always in unison) randomly and with no apparent reason.

- Brandon , SD, USA

Aug 312012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake light and brake lights turn on, usually on warm days, some times not for days, some times on all the time. The Ford dealer assures me the brakes are working, but the ABS module is not functioning. All the sensors seem to work, but the system itself does not work. I have replaced the master cylinder brake switch, still having the unit failure. Brake lights are working, some times they lock on also, when car is switched off. There are no signs of leakage around the master cylinder. The ABS module is quite expensive, and is defective, however Ford says it is not their fault.

- Franklin, VA, USA

Aug 082014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light on dash and brake light on for no reason.

- Litchfield Park, AZ, USA

Feb 012014

Windstar

The ABS light comes on frequently while driving. Sometimes it causes the regular brake light and/or low tire pressure light to come on (even though tire pressure is fine.) many times it happens when hitting a bump in the road. My dealer mentioned that the ECM module is returning many different codes with different meanings, indicating that the ECM module very likely has a bad connection on it. The dealer did not fix it yet, but warned me that I am currently driving without antilock brakes most of the time.

- York Haven, PA, USA

Aug 012006

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake failure warning lights constantly displayed in dashboard display. Brake inspections cannot determine a cause. I just learned that many other Windstar owners have reported the same problem, and that a recall for repair may be (or have been) issued.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 202010

Windstar

ABS and brake light on and cruise control not working leaking master cylinder switch.

- Portage, WI, USA

Jul 252014

Windstar 6-cyl

Turned on van with all this occurring at once: "check transmission", speedometer not working (reads 0mph), "ABS" light stays on, "brake" light stays on, "O/D off" light flashing, "trac off" light illuminated, "fuel computer data error", "oil life data error", "traction control data error", outside temperature "error", odometer malfunction reads "-----------", cruise control not working, ac not cold, hot air not hot.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 142012

Windstar 6-cyl

After going through a heavy downpour at about 20mph the ABS and brake light came on. Nothing was hung up and it later cleared. We figured a sensor got wet but periodically maybe stopping quickly or even just turning off auto and restarting within 15 minutes may trigger the lights. They may stay on entire time of travel until shutting off car or they may just go away while driving. Not sure if it's a brake problem or electrical because my temp notification for outside temp also does not work and the gas gauge will sometimes report empty after filling up and also I have had issues where the cruise control can not be shut off by button. I must apply the brake to shut off the cruise control. The brake lights started back in 2012 but they all did not fail at the same time. These other things have been a problem at least since 2013. I have approx. 138,000 miles on the van.

- Belton, SC, USA

Mar 052012

Windstar 6-cyl

A few weeks after purchasing my van I had issues with my brake light and ABS light coming on while I was driving. It did seem to cause any issues and the lights when off ever time I turned my van off and then back on. A few months ago I was coming up to a red light so naturally I started to slow down when I tried to come to a complete stop I kept going. The perfect way to describe what happen, it felt like I hit my brakes on a solid sheet of ice. I could here the ABS clicking and also felt the vibration in the brake pedal. That day it was 95 degrees and sunny. I almost caused an accident and the only things that stopped me was the emergency brake. It continued to do it every time I tried to slow down to stop that I refused to put my children in the vehicle. Last week after almost causing a few accidents I ended up pulling the main fuses to the ABS. Since I have done this the only issue I have had is my speedometer acting up. I feel that Ford needs to seriously look into this issue. I have already had 5 recalls fixed on my van and this needs to be another one.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Jul 162014

Windstar

ABS light goes on. Mechanics clear the error and cannot find a cause. It goes on again later. Goes off sometimes when you stop and restart vehicle.

- Mission Hills, CA, USA

May 052014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS warning light, large red brake light turned on in instrument panel plus increased brake stopping distance. Problem intermittent.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 082014

Windstar 6-cyl

During normal operation of vehicle at posted driving speed limits the vehicles ABS, brake warning lights have continuously come on after driving begins. It has been also noted that after several brake service inspections and repairs at major auto repair shops, such as midas, carx, and pep boys. Technicians have observed that the brake systems major components and hardware appeared to have failed due to high levels of corrosion and easily rusting parts such as brake shoes, pads, wheel cylinders, brake drums, brake line hoses and connectors. Each of these repair shops have informed me that the repair/ replacement of many of these vital components would be extremely costly to repair and could result in serious injuries or create a hazardous situation for the vehicle's operator and other drivers if not repaired immediately. The vehicles brakes and hardware have been replaced more than three times by asae certified /qualified mechanics and the brake systems warning lights continuously remain on during regular operation. The rear brakes are grinding and wearing the brake shoes down much faster than they did before even after repairs have been completed. Currently when applying the brakes before coming to a full stop the brake peddle must be applied at a distance of at least 30 seconds sooner to ensure a safe stop. I do believe that there is a high risk of concern in the failure of the Ford Windstar brake system operations and a thorough inspection of the ABS system and brakes including its major components should be inspected immediately to prevent a serious accident or injuries to the vehicle's operator and to protect the safety of the general public.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 182011

Windstar

The "ABS" and "brake" lights come on. Sometimes seem to be triggered by a bump. Worse in warm weather or wet conditions.

- Hanover, PA, USA

Jun 022008

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights started coming on randomly. Never when vehicle was first started but only after van warmed up/was operating for a while. As vehicle aged lights came on sooner and lasted longer. Checked codes which was always a long list which included C1185. Sensors were all cleaned and inspected/tested. Brakes system was inspected and checked out and safe sans the ABS function. Many reports of the ECM main board soldering failure after running for a while and heating up.

- Kaysville, UT, USA

Jun 052006

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS, traction control, and brake lights came on. When the lights are on, ABS and traction control are disabled. Lights came on more frequently in summer months than in winter months. I've heard these problems may be a fire hazard.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

May 232014

Windstar 6-cyl

My 2001 Windstar started having electrical problems a couple weeks after I had all the other recalls taken care of. I turned the van on and all my needles went crazy darting back and forth, and my driver door censors aren't working now. The next day was the same and my ABS and brake lights on the dash are on and won't turn off. I have also had to keep my interior lights turned off completely because at any given time my vans door censors will decided that the door isn't closed. This is the second Windstar I have owned and at this point I will never buy another Ford. The safety of my children and myself is much more important.

- Muskegon , MI, USA