2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Dec 192013

Windstar 6-cyl

After running/driving my van for about 10 mins. The "ABS" and the "brake" lights show up on my dashboard. My brakes make a screeching noise when I apply the brake and a grinding noise as well. My main concern is the safety of my family while I'm driving my van with them in it. Please inform me of how to take care of these problems. Thank you for your time.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 082013

• 1,500,000 miles
My ABS light and brake light came on. I pulled over. Waited for the car to cool down. Light didn't good away. I have already gotten the recall for cruise control done. I tested and the ABS system is definitely not working. Luckily, I grew up without ABS, and know to pump the brakes. I am getting the C1185 dtc.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Jan 022015

Windstar

ABS light has been on for a few days now. Took the vehicle to get serviced, ABS light on panel and brakes squeaking. Reliable mechanic shop informed me that the vehicles brakes were fine and no replacement is needed, but that my ABS would not function properly. I was told the ABS light was electrical and that it would cost a lot to fix.the brakes have failed twice recently with brakes locking and no ABS. After researching I see the ABS warning light is an issue with this vehicle and numerous complaints have been made. Please make a recall.

- Reading, PA, USA

Apr 292010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light has been on for years. Took the vehicle to get serviced assuming brakes were needing maintenance due to illuminated ABS light on panel and breaks squeaking. Reliable mechanic shop informed me that the vehicles brakes were fine and no replacement is needed, but that my ABS would not function properly. I was told the ABS light was electrical and that it would cost a lot to fix (don't recall the cost). The brakes have failed twice recently with brakes locking and no ABS. After researching I see the ABS warning light is an issue with this vehicle and numerous complaints have been made. Recall should be made before people get hurt!!

- Manchester, TN, USA

Aug 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS lights are illuminated stating that the ECU master relay is not getting power. This comes and goes.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Nov 162014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights keep coming on and off. Also have shaking in suspension front and back. Dealer conducted the back axle repair but the vehicle still has a little shake with new tires and front end alignment.

- Newport, NJ, USA

Oct 032011

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and the brake light come on after driving 4-5 miles. The lights go off when the ignition is cycled. There is brake fluid leaking onto the scds circuit which may be related to this issue. I've had this vehicle serviced by Ford for about a half dozen issues and I think the scds was one of them ( 09S09 ), so what ever they did it didn't solve this safety issue.

- West Bountiful, UT, USA

Nov 062013

Windstar

ABS light and brake light keeps coming on then off.

- Madison, WI, USA

May 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS, traction control, cruise control and speedometer either are intermittent or not working at all. This causes issues with braking, vehicle control, driver attentiveness and other safety related issues.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light, brake light, tail light, tire pressure light all came on.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light & brake lights come on sometimes but not always. Brake function well with no issues.

- Green Valley, AZ, USA

Jul 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

The traction control and ABS lights go on. Now the ABS does not function properly when warmer weather. Reading only has shown the ECM has a faulty solder joint that wears down in summer. It is intermittent issue, but large safety risk.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Sep 182014

Windstar 6-cyl

Vehicle had a recall on the speed control deactivation switch (scds) in 2009, repair was done by installing jumper as scds was not leaking. Took vehicle to dealer as brake light was on. Found leaking scds to be problem. Ford contacted to cover repair as scds was known to be bad when recalled in 2009, but was not leaking. The leaking scds caused the jumper (installed during recall) to go bad and leak brake fluid out of scds. Ford advised that "sorry, there is nothing we can do because the recall had been done." Customer care personnel elevated concern to supervisor, who also reiterated Ford's stance that the original recall had been performed and there was nothing that could be done. Our concern is for the safety of my family and children who get taken around in this vehicle. Ford kept saying, "sorry..." case was closed with no action on safety issue. I guess loss of brake fluid from a known bad part is of no concern to Ford. Repair for bad part and previously recalled part and labor was over $200. Ford knew part would leak and advised dealers to replace scds if leaking during inspections. For knew the Texas instruments part was bad, but only changed the ones leaking. If it leaked after the recall work was done, it would be the customer's responsibility.

- Tuscola, IL, USA

Aug 252014

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake lights went on as well as ABS lights and traction control lights, vehicle started to brake on its own while driving about 40 miles an hour. This happened twice for a few seconds and then I had control again. Very scary....

- Normal, IL, USA

Oct 162013

Windstar 6-cyl

Coming to stop sign put on brakes the brake light and the ABS light comes on, when leaving the stop sign the brakes drags and won't release.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Sep 012012

Windstar

Cannot get the ABS warning brake light to stay reset and/or fix. Stays on and cannot diagnose.

- Defiance, MO, USA

Jun 172010

Windstar

ABS and brake light have been intermittently been coming on and going off for years. I was told by a mechanic not to worry, just a loose wire somewhere! now I am concerned about the possibility of a fire! I have had all recalls completed according to the local Ford dealer. The problem is worse in the summer months. I like my van but am concerned enough to start looking for another car!

- Martinsville, VA, USA

Apr 042009

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake warning light combined with ABS light, ABS does not function. Problem was intermittent at first, now chronic. Diagnostic code C1185.

- Gambrills, MD, USA

Aug 222014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake light and parking brake light came on driving down the highway and remain on at this time. The brakes were recently serviced and currently there is nothing wrong with them. There is concern for vehicle safety and braking system. It is unknown if this is a error in the module and ABS still work or if ABS is disabled. Ford was contacted and made aware of the issues. Based on the complaints for this vehicle Ford is well aware of the concerns for safety, but as of this date but have yet to issue a recall. There is also a noise coming from the undercarriage that is associated with the steering column. There have been recalls on this as well, however, my vehicle was not in the recall. Ford may want to extend the recall to other Windstar vins.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Aug 072013

Windstar 6-cyl

Red brake light and yellow ABS light on at same time. At first intermittent then more likely on than off in June of 2014 I found leaking brake fluid from switch on bottom of master cylinder and found brake fluid leaking to numerous electronic components causing O/D light to come on intermittently speedometer would stop working odometer shows - - - - - in place of mileage. Learned of recall via internet and took vehicle to ron carter Ford 3005 fm 528 alvin tx 77512 on 07/17/2014. They explained that in spite of all damage caused the only thing they would do was replace leaking switch with new one as mandated by the recall. They replaced this switch and returned vehicle with all of the same problems including brake fluid inside the transmission range selector switch and vehicle speed sensor directly underneath master cylinder. I cannot tell if the vehicle still presents a fire hazard or not as there is still brake fluid everywhere. Ron carter refuses to look at vehicle or provide any further repairs even though this is clearly all related to the recall.

- Friendswood, TX, USA