2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

May 012016

Windstar

I came up to a stop sign, the entire front axle broke off the frame, I lost steering, brakes, had to slam it into park to stop. I ended up across the road. There was a recall in 2011 for the axle mount and Ford decided it only needed a coating on it, 5 seconds later we would of been on the highway and killed. I emailed Ford and they said the recall was still open, the Ford dealer never closed it, so they won't help me. That is bull, the coated it and forgot to close it out, thats their fault, I can take pics if you want them.

- Port Jervis, NY, USA

Jun 172015

Windstar

My ABS and brake light have been intermittently coming on for some time. There wasn't any change in the brakes so I assumed there was a sensor switch or other computer related issue. I am not a mechanic and kept driving the vehicle. The brake lights started to intermittently stay on eventually burning out brake bulbs. Then frying the part that the bulb goes into. I am not driving the vehicle now because I feel there's a potential for fire the vehicle was always in motion when the lights came on and brake lights stayed on. I can't get them to go off even with the car stopped and turned off.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Aug 012013

Windstar

ABS and brake lights light intermittently in warm weather. Obd II code- C1185. Dealer says it likely needs ECU and hcu replaced. This is apparently a common problem. Https://duckduckgo.com/?Q=Windstar+C1185

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jan 062013

Windstar

My ABS light and brake light and tractoin controll lights are all on at all times nowand my speed domitor has slowly gone out on my 2001 Windstar sel the date below is an aprox

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Oct 012012

Windstar

My ABS and brake lights continually come on and off and seems like a faulty issue with the electronics, but it renders the ABS entirely useless when on. I have asked around if there was an official recall as this seems to be a common issue and was directed to report this on this site. I recently had the codes scanned specifically and there were so many triggered it was ridiculous. I was told that it's a faulty issue with this make and model and a repair would cost in the thousands. It sure seems like Ford would have a recall on this faulty safety issue. Sometimes the light is on when I start the van, sometimes it comes on after a drive for a little, but once it's on it stays on until the van is stopped and shut off. I've read that it could deal with the heat and/or corrosion issue of expanding aluminum plate. Based on the inconsistency of the light it would appear that at times the computer and ABS is working when in cooler situations. It's been happening for a while now but is something I've been told that doesn't impact main braking so it's hard to justify the cost of fixing an electronic piece... is there a recall for this that I was not notified about being the second owner? I picked a random date for the 'when did this happen' as I'm unsure how long it's been occurring but was an issue with my dad before we purchased from him.

- Huntley, IL, USA

Sep 052015

Windstar

When I started the vehicle to go shopping everything seemed fine till I got about 25 miles from my house that is when I got stopped at my first red light that when I was waiting for the light to turn green the ABS and park brake lights came on so I pulled over at my nearest convenience shut the van off checked under the hood and everything looked fine, I got back into the van and the lights went out, finished my shopping the about 4 minutes after I started the van to come home while waiting in traffic the lights came back on but the brakes felt fine so I drove it home. I had a brake shop check it out and they determined that it was the ABS control module (ebcm to be exact) and that it was safe to drive it just wouldn't have ABS functioning when the light comes on, contacted Ford dealership about the issue but when they checked it the light was out and said there was nothing wrong and because it wasn't a recall nothing can be done about it and if I wanted it brought in to fix it it would cost me $785 dollars. So I looked online and it seems to be a common occurrence with this vehicle and to me a safety issue that should be addressed by the manufacturer and fixed as it seems that it is a bad solder-joint in the ebcm that is causing this error and could potentially cause a fire from what I read in online posts. I am not looking for a free fix I just want Ford to step up and fix the safety issues on vehicles they make

- Surrey,Bc,Canada V3r1g2, WA, USA

Jul 072015

Windstar

We wish to be contacted and have multiple issues to report. (1) ODI request for information regarding engineering analysis EA10-007 sub frame and (2) issues of compliance with safety recall procedures and what we believe to be fraudulent and illegal actions. Space is inadequate but will try to summarize. Vehicle subframe failed at both passenger and driver side rear mounts and thereby caused separation of the steering components and complete loss of steering, loss of brakes, and loss of transmission control. The owner used the only means available to stop the vehicle by turning off the ignition key and 'riding it out.' Subframe components and the engine/transmission had been in contact with pavement. Large portions of the subframe appear to be missing from the vehicle. The exhaust system was severed. The transmission linkage pulled away and as stated the steering components separated. What is believed to be the air bag cable became wrapped around the steering components. Vehicle was towed to a dealership which refuses to inspect, disclose, photograph, or allow to be photographed the massive damage while declaring the vehicle "repairable" and the "repairs have to be done." At issue are declarations that under the recall that "responsibility" rests with the owner and a "right to deny coverage." A demand that repairs be scheduled or the vehicle be towed from the car lot with a demand that a document be signed which amounts to a release and complete misrepresentation of the facts. The dealership has been told that we will lend no truth or validity to their forceful and manipulative demands, nor will we sign any document. It is our intent to destroy the vehicle. We have incurred multiple out of pocket expenses. In essence fraud and illegal acts, under the color of federal law are alleged. We desire to submit a written statement and request for investigation.

- Peru, IN, USA

Jul 012015

Windstar

ABS failure, reading code C1185 and many other C codes referencing circuit failures at each wheel.

- Monroe , MI, USA

Oct 012010

Windstar

Intermittent ABS and brake warning lights on since 2009 - 6 years without reliable ABS braking system due to a poor manufacturing issue and still no recall. Please investigate!!

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Apr 232015

Windstar

ABS and brake light came on took it to Ford dealer said its the ABS ECU box. They always having this problem with a wire inside the box coming lose

- Hiram, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Windstar

ABS warning light comes on intermittently

- Sandy, UT, USA

May 132015

Windstar

ABS and emergency brake lights came on. Turned vehicle off, waited briefly, and turned the vehicle back on, lights weren't visible. Next errand run of the day, got a couple of miles away from the house, when the lights came back on. Went into store, came back out, started the vehicle, and lights stayed off.

- Maize, KS, USA

Aug 202014

Windstar

ABS brake system failure, on the master cylinder there is a leak, the rear brakes fail to work at all and the ECU sensor does not work.

- Ellabell, GA, USA

Jan 202015

Windstar

My ABS and brake light came on and stayed on. There is nothing wrong with my brakes or ABS. I have the codes read by a mechanic and it said the rear ABS sensor was bad. I got it replaced and it never fixed the issue. So I had it read again by a mechanic and it said the same thing.

- Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA

Feb 242015

Windstar

I bought the van from someone drove from a hour fourtyfive min away from home got almost home and the brake light came on bk light on right went out seats stop working they electrical and the heat mess up very unpleased cause I have kids I drive to school everyday

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 172015

Windstar 6-cyl

"check traction control" warning signal, break light, ABS light, trac off light, and tire pressure light came on. Speedomoter stopped working, tachometer stopped working, vehicle would not shift when necessary. Local mechanic said it was a failure in the ABS pump and ABS electrical system.

- Bangor, ME, USA

Feb 102015

Windstar

When driving the van at 50 mph the yellow ABS warning light came on, took to the garage, said ABS system gave 8 codes but they couldn't pin point a problem, light went off on its own and van regained ABS function, and now randomly the light comes on and the ABS is deactivated.

- Lanse , MI, USA

Feb 102015

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light went off. Brakes suddenly became less effective on the snow laden icy pavement. Temporarily lost control of vehicle.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Aug 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

The check traction control light comes on. Brake light, ABS light and traction off light start blinking, turn off the ignition for a few minutes and all is well for a few seconds or maby a few days, (this doesn't happen all the time. I think the problem is somehow related to temperature because as soon as it gets cold, (below about 30 degrees) the problem goes away til warmer weather and when it gets vrey warm it happens all the time. I suspect this problem may be related to a defect in the ECM as this might explain the temp situation. Note also fortunately during the winter the traction control works fine but when this light problem is around the traction control does not work.

- Spring Grove, IL, USA

Jan 222015

Windstar

The check traction control comes on..... brake light, ABS light and traction off light keep coming on intermittently. Turn off ignition and then they go off for a short time then back on.

- Brookfield, IL, USA