2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Aug 152013

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the brake light continued to illuminate after the emergency brake was disengaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact stated there was a manufacturer's recall for the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Nov 182013

Windstar 6-cyl

My vehicle has a ABS fault light caused by a faulty ECU master relay. This causes the ABS and brake fault lights to light on my dash board. The fault code reads C1185 from the engine diagnostics. This has rendered my ABS system inoperable.

- Elm Grove, LA, USA

Oct 292013

Windstar 6-cyl

Arrived at destinations and stopped. Tried to leave, brakes had not released and would not release.. had to drive home against the brakes which were smoking upon arrival at home. Next day, brakes went back to normal. Two days later, same occurrence. Brakes would not release, overheated, brake pedal pushed hard up with all brakes applied. Nest morning after cool down, brake pedal resting on floor; would not pump up; no brakes. Since I have owned this vehicle, brake and ABS indicators come on for no apparent reason, I.e., 3 drops of rain on windshield and indicators come on. Ford dealer was made aware of this, said it was an ECU problem and did nothing about it, saying it would cost me about $700 to fix.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 052008

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and brake light on/ off more then 5 years every time driving, brake working fine. All the gauge moving crazy about 1 a week. Winter time the problem less.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Oct 282013

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS lights came on as well as my brake lights don't know why my brakes are knew.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 012012

Windstar 6-cyl

The parking brake and ABS warning lights come on intermittently and tend to stay on when the vehicle is warm. This vehicle has already had the recall 09V399000 performed on it so the lights coming on should not be related to that issue. It appears to be the same problem that many other people are experiencing with their Windstar vans which is a bad solder on the ABS control module circuit board. I have only driven the van a few thousand miles since the lights started coming on so I have not noticed any loss of function that other people have experienced.

- Osakis, MN, USA

Jun 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

Traction control engages when turning. Acceleration is limited while traction control is engaged. Anti-lock brakes engage when stopping causing extra stopping distance. Dry pavement.

- Centerville, OH, USA

Feb 052013

Windstar 6-cyl

Intermittent increase in braking distance in an emergency situation. Due to ABS system failure related to the ECM control unit. Indicator at time of failure "yellow ABS brake light" and "red brake light" on dashboard of vehicle. Resulting in interment operating of ABS system. This becomes a large driving hazard when operating the vehicle during winter months when roadway is often covered in wet, snow and ice. These road conditions are typical for my winter driving months in the climate and area of vehicle purchased and operated. The cause of this ABS system failure is related to the ECM control unit. Root cause is identified as failure of circuit board solder joints with in the ECM unit, deactivating ABS system. Poor quality of connections, heat and stress, not robust enough for application. Need to have these quality and performance issue resolved by the oem.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jul 292009

Windstar 6-cyl

Yellow ABS light comes on and off, red brake light does the same, I was unaware that Ford had a recall for this problem, I am just finding out about this today. No one contacted me about the ABS module, I had been contacted about other recall issues and they were repaired.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Jul 082010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights come on and off at different times when driven. My light system stays on all the time. Please help me get it recalled.

- Affront, MO, USA

Apr 112013

Windstar 6-cyl

Just driving the van and it shows check traction control and my ABS and brake lights come on and traction control off. It keeps recurring and do not know what to do to fix it. If I pull over on the side road and shut off the key and wait a minute and start it back up the lights and all go away for a bit. If I drive it with lights on and the check traction control on it smells like something is burning. So I have to pull over and shut it off all the time until the lights are gone.

- Paisley, FL, USA

Jul 302012

Windstar 6-cyl

As you dirve ABS and brake lights on dash come on stay on.

- Nags Head, NC, USA

Aug 282013

ABS and brake lights always

- Garland, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

The brake system warning light and anti-lock brake system (ABS) dash light turn on and off intermittently and will remain on until the van is turned off. Upon starting the van the lights will be off. I have had the van brakes inspected and serviced to include a complete inspection of the brake system with the removal of the master cylinder and system flush. Technicians cannot find a reason why there is an intermittent brake system and ABS warning lights turning on and off.

- Bristol, WI, USA

Feb 042013

ABS and brake warning lights light intermittently while driving. This indicates a very serious problem of failure of the ECM module that controls the anti-lock braking system a quick fix is to pull off the road, turn off the engine, and then restart it. This appears to be a very common problem with many Ford Windstar.

- York Haven, PA, USA

Feb 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

After repairing my speed controller my ABS and brake lights have been coming on the dashboard intermittently and are coming on more and more. Took it to the dealer and no codes show up, but I do not trust it.

- Salem, VA, USA

Aug 062013

Windstar 6-cyl

On 8-7-13 I was driving back home an 2 lights prior to my street the brakes started clicking when pressed and after a few blocks they started working fine. Today the same happened when driving downhill from where I live. I took it to have it checked because of the ABS light and I was given dtc C1185. They said that the ABS modulator needs to be replaced and they gave me an estimate of $950. I was looking for the part and found that I am not alone in this issue. Therefore I am posting it.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 072013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light comes on and appears one side tries to engage ABS. Mechanic says many codes are displayed.

- Florence, AL, USA

Jul 312013

Windstar 6-cyl

Intermittent ABS brake light. Light comes on and goes off at will.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jul 042011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS system warning lights came on. Had checked out. Over last 2 years has continued and now the odometer stopped working and brake system problems with ABS. Mechanic says faulty ABS system again.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA