2001 Ford Windstar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 182016

Windstar

While driving with my three small children, the rear axle of my van broke. I was going at a minimal rate of speed and was able to pull over without injury. This vehicle has been subject to numerous recalls, several of which have included corrosion of the subframe and axle. Our local Ford dealership is telling me that I may be responsible for payment for repair of the recalled product. However, I do not feel safe driving this vehicle anymore. They have stated that they will repair the damaged part with the same rear axle that has been recalled numerous times. This is not a remedy. I am trying to get them to consider a trade-in or product buy-back. If they will not, I will be leaving a signed statement with new South Ford (meridian, ms) stating that I do not feel comfortable driving the vehicle off the lot due to the risk of rear axle corrosion/failure.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Sep 112015

Windstar

While driving the vehicle at highway speeds, I heard a crunching sound in the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle then began to sway on the road. I had to slow my speeds and pull over at a safe spot, which was a parking lot to inspect what the issue was. After inspection, I noted the passenger rear tire was at an angle with the top of the tire inward touching the frame. I took the vehicle to the closest repair shop where I found from their inspection that the axle was broke and the vehicle was not driveable. My vehicle was part of the Ford Windstar axle recall, which was serviced by the local Ford dealer in 2012. This vehicle had the reinforcements added to the axle in 2012. The axle broke between the reinforced plates welded to the axle during the recall check. Now after towing the vehicle back to the local Ford dealer for inspection, I find out that Ford will not stand behind the issue and not repair or replace the axle due to the length of time from the recall. I feel lucky that I was able to maintain control of the vehicle when the axle broke.

- River Falls, WI, USA

Aug 042015

Windstar

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the rear of the vehicle failed to stay in position. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the rear driver side tire tilted inwards. In addition, the contact stated that while attempting to reverse after inspecting the vehicle, the axle fractured. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 12V193000 (power train ) however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,361.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Apr 182015

Windstar 6-cyl

Rear axle broke in half while driving causing a roll over accident.

- Petersburg, MI, USA

Feb 032014

Windstar 6-cyl

The front right axel broke, I didn't have an accident nor did I run it into a ditch. The frame has cracked, its where the axle and the frame meet. It's a 2001 and yes, it's an old vehicle, but its the only transportation I can afford right now. If I can take it to a Ford dealership to be repaired I would. Some how, I believe their is a god.

- Waterloo, NY, USA

Sep 242014

Windstar

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated and failed to pick up speed. The contact merged to the side of the road and turned it off. The vehicle was restarted, but the speed would not increase past 5 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the transmission had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate mileage was 136,000.

- Chehalis, WA, USA

Apr 152014

Windstar 6-cyl

Had the 2011 rear axle recall performed by Ford in 2011. They inspected the rear axle and installed the support brackets. Now my rear axle is cracked. I contacted the dealership where I had the recall performed who confirmed they had performed the recall but denied any further responsibility and told me to contact Ford. I have contacted Ford and spoke with both a customer service rep and her supervisor who both advised Ford is only responsible for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles since the recall was performed. I feel the repair was not sufficient to prevent additional cracking of the axle and they should fix/replace the axle.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 072013

Windstar 6-cyl

My daughter was driving the Windstar at approximately 20 mph when she heard a noise and felt something break and she was unable to steer the vehicle and she was able to get the vehicle stopped. She exited the vehicle to see if she could see what the problem was. She noticed both front wheels were pointing in different directions. This vehicle was recalled in 2011 to have brackets placed to support the subframe. The vehicle was towed to a local garage. Upon inspection it was determined that the passengers side lower control arm had pulled out of the subframe.

- Waterford, VT, USA

May 312013

Windstar 6-cyl

Cpsc#I1360214A. 2001 Ford Windstar. Consumer stated she took her car in for a recall on the axle and was told everything was fine. Three weeks later she was driving and the car started sounding odd. Consumer pulled over an her tire was leaning in, because the axle had snapped. The dealer informed the consumer they would not repair the vehicle under the recall, because they placed on brackets on the axle, two years prior. The dealer stated they had complied with the recall.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Jul 102013

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V193000 (power train). The contact was advised that there was additional rust on the transmission mount and the front driver's side corner of the under carriage. The manufacture was not notified of the failure. The current and failure mileage was 96,000.

- Freash Mewows, NY, USA

May 212013

Windstar 6-cyl

Had recall work done10/30/11 preventative repairs failed. Rear axle split while driving.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 312013

Windstar 6-cyl

This 2001 Ford Windstar minivan was towed to a garage for unrelated malfunction (overheating). Mechanic told us that the rear axle had a hole in it and was unsafe to drive. This minivan had been serviced at a Ford dealership for a recall for a possible crack in the rear axle and rechecked shortly before this incident. Obviously the recall did not fix the problem this was the second minivan to which we had this happen. The other was a 1998 Ford Windstar. We were told in January 2013 that this rear axle was cracked and undriveable. This vehicle too had been recalled and taken in. We had the 2001 minivan checked in January because of the problem with the 1998 and it was still found to be cracked in March.

- Towanda, PA, USA

Mar 252013

Windstar

Stopped at a stop sign, pressed the gas and nothing happened as if the van had been put in neutral. The transmission has failed. None of the gears will engage. Through my own research I've found numerous complaints with the Ford Windstar transmission and still no recall. The company should be held accountable. They will fix a small inexpensive censor but not the transmission.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Mar 112013

Windstar 6-cyl

Stopped to get my oil changed, they showed me where the entire right front subframe has rusted away making my Windstar unsafe to drive. I looked online and found this is an ongoing problem with this model with of these having the same problem with the passenger side right front. This can cause you to loose steering control or in an extreme the engine to fall out going down the highway, Ford recalled the same problem on the rear axel, ,why not fix the front also. I live in arkansan but bought the windstorm from a person in Missouri where I see Ford list as a state with a rust problem but doing nothing to fix it.

- Clinton, AR, USA

Jul 032012

Windstar

Me and my family were on our way to New York for vacation. Maybe about an hour into driving me and my husband started to smell something burning so I pulled off the high way and little do we know mg van was up in smoke we checked our oil that was good but I told my husband to check the transmission. Fluid and it was empty but before we left we had the right amount of transmission fluid in the van. We had to add about 5 or 6 quarts of fluid in order for the van to switch from reverse to drive we were able to make to sn auto part store they tested the van on there computer everything passed except the torque converter.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jul 082012

Windstar 6-cyl

On Sunday July 8th, 2012 I was driving my 2001 Ford Windstar I stopped at a light and as the light changed I began driving and then heard a loud noise, my wheels began to squeel and pull all over and my van came to a complete stop in the road and would not move.. the front passenger side wheel was turned outward but my wheel was straight. Thank god I was not on an expressway or highway with all my kids in the vehicle.. I called a tow truck the driver inspected it and said something underneath the front frame had snapped off.. so today I had it towed into a Ford dealer to find out it is a new recall how can these Windstar vans have so many frame and axle issues and be safe to drive exspecially with all these brackets they are having to put on them for the recalls.. if I was on an expressway me and my son would of been hurt badly if not killed.. not to mention if I would of hit someone else I could of injured others too..I will never trust another Windstar with my family this is crazy.. it is the subframe front lower control arm rear attaching flages completely broke/snapped off while I was driving down a basic 40 mph road..when it broke it messed up the underneath of my vehicle it ripped the drive shaft right out of the transmission.. and who knows what else is damaged now.. people need to know about this now before someone is seriously hurt..

- Wayne, MI, USA

Nov 102005

Windstar 6-cyl

The minivan is equipped with a button on the gear shift. This button enables you to shift out of overdrive when you do not want the vehicle to be in overdrive mode. About this time the fuse in the fuse box would blow. Replaced the fuse a number of times but the problem is still there. The fuse may last for 5 to 10 miles and then it would blow. Tried a larger amp fuse but it would also blow. Transmission will leave the overdrive only if you accelerate going up a hill.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 072008

Windstar 6-cyl

When driving van in hot weather or going up steep hills or grades the transmission will start leaking out transmission fluid. Enough will be coming out to create a visible cloud of smoke behind the vehicle as it is hitting the exhaust system. Had new trans axle seal installed but the problem still is there. If you park the van for about 45 minutes it quits leaking and you can proceed. For some reason the fluid gets so hot it is basically boiling out of the transmission.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Oct 122011

Windstar 6-cyl

Ford Windstar seems to be a good vehicle at first. With age numerous problems continue to happen. Service shops regard problems as common for a Ford Windstar.I think Ford ignores the problems. My husband and I are loyal Ford owners, I don't know how much longer we will continue. Currently the ABS& brake lights are on. Transmission leaked out all of the fluid while driving, had to rebuild trans. Speedometer doesn't work properly when brake lights are on. Engine light is on, numerous codes for this problem.

- Woodhaven, MI, USA