2. rear axle was replaced (27 reports)
  3. as of 8/27/2010 Ford has recalled this rear axle (1 reports)
2001 Ford Windstar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Dec 012007

Windstar SEL V6

I called the Dealer and Ford about the problem. They said it is out of the 5 year warranty. Hardly seems reasonable that this would rust from the inside. Seems as though there is water getting into the axle.

- , Allison Park, PA, USA

Nov 062007

Windstar 3.8L

On October 19, 2007 I backed out of my driveway, shifted into drive and began to go forward when I felt an alarming sensation in my car. I pulled over to the side of the road to inspect my tires. All looked fine so I returned to my car, shifted into drive again and began to go forward when I felt the rear of the car sway. I pulled over again and looked under the back of the car when I saw that my rear axle has snapped in two. On the day of the event my car had 65,700 miles on the odometer.

I had the car towed to my mechanic. Both the tow truck driver and the mechanic were shocked that the rear axel could simply snap. From the beginning both said, at seperate times, this had to be a manufacturer defect. After taking a close look the mechanic confirmed the break was clean. The axel had simply rusted from the inside. There is a clean break in the axel where the two broken parts fit together snug like a puzzle. There is no evidence of an accident or tampering to the axel. My mechanic showed me a portion of the axel, close to the wheels where water can enter, but there is no way for the water to escape. Therefore, the axel rusted from the inside until it broke. My mechanic has photographed this part and is holding it at his garage for inspection.

On October 22, 2007 I contacted the Ford dealer at Stoneham, Ma to report this problem. I spoke to the owner of the dealership and described the situation in detail. He was stunned that this would happen to a non-serviceable part of the car. He checked my maintenance record to acknowledge I had been faithful to upkeep. I invited him to call my mechanic and to go to the garage and inspect the axel. He told me he would call the mechanic and get back to me. To date I have not heard back from him.

On October 29, 2007 I contacted Ford�s Customer Relations Department to reiterate the situation. I was clear that my concern is that this is a safety issue and I wanted Ford to look at the part to verify a problem. The customer service representative assured this matter would be taken very serious and forwarded to the proper authorities. To date I have not heard from them either.

I, like my mechanic, believe this is a serious issue in which other consumers will soon, if not already, experience an axel break. Had the axel given when I was on the highway with my children in the vehicle, the outcome might have been much more severe. I am afraid if this is not reviewed another family may have a critical outcome in the course of the axel giving way. I woul like to have someone look at this part of the car to determine how the frame of a car could simply give. This is the vehicle I purchased to transport my children and I am very discouraged nobody will acknowledge this problem.

- , Stoneham, MA, USA