2002 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Jul 152008

Poor design, placing electrical connection under master cylinder, filled with brake fluid. Caused instrument panel to malfunction, including no speedometer, and left the ABS & brakes warning light on steady. The connecter that got wet from the fluid is charred. This is definitely a fire hazard.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Jan 012008

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar LX. Just this past January the lights have started to turn on. My ABS light, engine light, brake system light. There are 12-13 codes that show up for my brakes when diagnosed on the computer. I have new brakes all around, new rotors, new drums and when I go to stop the car squeals like a bus and grinds as though I have no brake pads at all. Shop says the only place I can go to get that fixed is the dealer where it will cost me about $1500 to fix. Who has that kind of money laying around? my engine light goes on because of supposedly some module inside the engine. That was estimated at $350+ to get fixed. The module supposedly is the reason why when the car is diagnosed on the computer, that it shows I have two bad O2 sensors. All I can say is wow!!! these Windstar are pure junk!!!

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 152005

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving approximately 25 mph, the ABS and the brake warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning light indicators remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. A diagnostic was performed by an authorized dealer and they stated that the computerized system was losing power, which could possibly be the cause of the failure. On five separate occasions, the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for identical failures. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and current mileage was 94,470.

- Wareham, MA, USA

Jun 252008

Fuse number 10 keeps blowing as soon as put in. Speedometer and odometer quit working. ABS and brake light come on and stay on.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Mar 012008

The ABS, and brake lights illuminate, as well the cruise control, speedometer keep fluctuating on the 2002 Ford Windstar. This is related to the brake pressure switch on the brake master cylinder. The lights stay on as soon as the vehicle starts.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Jun 012008

06/01/2008 driving on freeway and all of sudden most warning lights were lit. No other signs-vehicle appeared to be running fine. The speedo and mileage counter were not working. ABS was lit, O/D was flashing and emerg. Brake was lit. Mechanic discovered that the scds leaked brake fluid onto the ABS module. Auto mechanic indicated that I was lucky that I did not have a fire. He recommended that I do not drive it due to a potential fire that could result in the defect. Mechanic replaced scds, ABS module and control panel.

- Chaska, MN, USA

Nov 222006

Our anti-lock brakes failed on our 2002 Ford Windstar. A defective switch had leaked brake fluid into an engine wiring harness causing the anti-lock brake system to fail. We were told by the Ford dealer that the repair would be about $1,500, we were no longer under warranty, and that the vehicle could catch on fire at any time. This included when the vehicle was not running and parked in the garage. The service writer also stated that he could not believe that Ford had not recalled the Windstar as the same failure of the anti-lock system on the pick-ups had been.

- Johnstown, CO, USA

Jun 092008

All lights on dashboard were lit-ABS, emergency brake, O/D, speedo and mileage counter could not be read as I was driving home on the freeway. Auto repair person indicated that there could have been a fire. My ABS module melted onto the control panel (not sure of part name) which caused damage to both. Currently being repaired.

- Chaska, MN, USA

Jun 082008

Windstar 6-cyl

On June 8, 2008, our 2002 Windstar experienced the following: ABS light went red: Brake red light went on. Speedometer, and tachometer stopped working. All will require repair to prevent the possibility of fire, crash or break down.

- Burke, VA, USA

Jun 012008

Windstar 6-cyl

The brake pressure differential deactivation switch (2B264) located under the master cylinder (behind the air filter) over time develops a leak. This causes a short and a fuse trip, fuse #10 if the engine is on. This leak also causes brake fluid to wick down two wires to the ABS brake module (2C219). The fluid accumulates on the (always on) power connectors for the ABS brake system which are powered by fuses 101 and 102 and are both 40 amp. The fluid attracts moisture, road salt and leads to a fire when the fluid and moisture act as conductor between the hot leads and ground. This switch will cause cruise control problems, speedometer, odometer and ABS brake system problems.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

May 222008

Windstar 6-cyl

2002 Ford Windstar cruise control, odometer, A/C temp. Control stopped working; ABS light remains on. The van is leaking brake fluid. I found online that this is a common problem within Windstar owners. A contaminated "brake pressure differential deactivation switch" is the probable cause of this problem and in my opinion Ford should be responsible for this defect.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Oct 012006

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar that we purchased 2 yrs ago, ...morning after delivery battery was dead, took back to dealer and they checked it out and said should be fine. Occasionally still dies and has to be charged, alternator & battery check out fine. The most dangerous problem is that the ABS light is on and ABS doesn't work properly. We continuously have to add brake fluid (at least once a month) and can not find any leaks on the ground. Had the vehicle in for service on several occasions can not diagnose. The dealership hooked vehicle up to machine to read code and can not get any readings from system. Dealership seemed to think that it could be a wiring problem or ABS module. ABS will occasionally go out/work but not properly, ABS will kick in on dry roads not wet/snow covered. Tire pressure light is illuminated and tire pressures are all correct. Has been reset but comes back on after driving a few miles. Occasionally it will go out on its own but then the speedometer will bounce around (if going 55 will jump to 70,80). When opening the rear tailgate hatch and closing, the dash light stays on like it is still open and dome lights will not work properly. When driving the door chime will sound and the door ajar light will go out and works properly until gate is opened again. When driving the door light and chime will come on lights stay on. The door ajar light also comes on and off intermittently when using the driver side door controls to put windows up/down you hear louder then normal clicking. Also dims the lights when putting windows up/down. We can also smell what seems to be wires burning at times but can not find anything. We are at a loss of where to begin. We will not drive this vehicle any further then 50 mile radius from our home for fear of what will happen if we do. If we go further we rent a vehicle. Now to the point of purchasing a cheap, reliable vehicle (not Ford) and parking this one until we can pay down enough to trade in.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Aug 282005

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light along with the red brake light come on frequently. This has been happening for about three years. For the past year and a half these lights along with the battery light come on and the van surges, lurches and dies. This happens at any time, at lights especially but even when driving. Sometimes all types of lights on the console begin to flicker and I hear a ticking/clicking noise as it occurs. I have started my engine and seen the odometer run what appears to be some sort of diagnostic test. If I push the trip reset when this is happening it cycles through several words and codes and the gauges (fuel, speedometer and temperature) move all the way to the right then fall back to zero and the ignition clicks rapidly. Just today when I went out first thing in the morning to start my van, my electronics door opener would not work. I had to use the key, and when I opened the door the flashing/ clicking was underway. I have had my brakes replaced only to have the light issue resume before I left the mechanic. I have had the van hooked up to diagnostic computers twice which could not diagnose the problem. I am very frustrated. I haven't even paid this vehicle off yet and with these issues I won't be able to sell it in good conscience. As an american company, I expect Ford to take responsibility for it's products and the american government to protect american consumers.

- Wenatchee, WA, USA

Apr 292008

Windstar 6-cyl

2002 Ford Windstar with inoperable cruise control, odometer, A/C temp. Control, ABS light remains on and other related electrical malfunctions. Vehicle is leaking brake fluid and I have no doubt I'm experiencing the same problem thousands of other Windstar owners are with a contaminated "brake pressure differential deactivation switch". is Ford taking responsibility for this manufacturing defect and providing a fix - without charge"?"

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jan 012007

Windstar 6-cyl

Check traction control light comes on while driving, brake light comes on as does ABS light. Turn off engine and on & it goes away for a short period, then returns. Mechanic tells me $1300 to correct. Various web sites report this problem with all Windstar 2002! should be recalled with so many complaints. Check web site www.2carpros/forum/38-VT49767.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Jun 192007

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving to work I noticed my odometer and speedometer quit working and then every light possible lit up, so when I got to work my husband told me to see if I could get it to grande truck center in san antonio. I left it and later received a call telling me the wiring harness had shorted out and I was very lucky that my van did not burn up. I was told maybe a varmint had chewed on the wires, but my van is always parked in the garage at night.. I decided to do some research after recalling an incident not far from our home that involved some type of Ford SUV that caught fire in the garage and burned the house down. All this was due to a faulty cruise control switch that cost about $21. I found that millions of vehicles had been recalled by Ford because of this problem and the Windstar was on the list of having the same or similar switch, but was not recalled and still has not been recalled. I have put a request in with grande truck to be reimbursed, since it was a manufacturer error and nothing I did, but to date I have not heard from them. I emailed Ford to ask why my van was not recalled and received an answer that all recalls are handled by the NHTSA. Yes, I do have the original switch that was removed from the van (looks like part#F58A-9F924-aa 2063) it was kind of hard to read. The invoice states replace ABS module & hydraulic unit, replace wire harness & cruise control switch, service bleed, bleed sys. $2654.81. My husband was allowed to see the wiring harness that was almost burnt in half, but that was not kept. I thank god that there was no real tragedy that came out of this, but I also feel that Ford is responsible and should take action to reimburse me my money. I would like to know if you have received any other complaints on the Ford Windstar. When I contacted your office by phone I was told that there was a new recall as of 8-31-2007, that included the Windstar, but I did not see that information. Thank you for your time. Updated 12/12/07

- Adkins, TX, USA

Apr 152007

Windstar 4-cyl

My 2002 Ford Windstar has had a combo of problems. The first is that the car will chime the "open door" sound, and then unlock or lock the doors automatically, while the doors are unlocking or locking the over head dome lights flicker on or off, which makes a problem seeing during night time driving. As these issues are going on the power sliding rear doors try to open, again the open door sign lights up on the dash, the doors unlock, and the sliding doors try to open. They grind as they are being forced to open, as they are grinding, my rearview mirror light indicators will flash that the doors are both open. I have to pull over forcefully open the doors and manually close them. I have had to move my daughters car seat to the third row, because of the fear she has of falling out. The most they have ever opened is enough to let a breeze in, but traveling on a freeway at 75 mph, that is a little too much!!

- Moses Lake, WA, USA

Feb 142007

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The failure mileage was 79000, and the current mileage was 84000. The dashboard brake warning light was constantly turned on. Brake fluid was put into the vehicle. However the warning light remained on, and the vehicle still needed more brake fluid. The vehicle has had no failure stopping. The dashboard lights turned off, but the power windows and doors malfunctioned. The mechanic stated that the electrical problems were the result of the defective cruise control. The mechanic disconnected the cruise control.

- Sorento, FL, USA

Apr 062007

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving out of a parking lot, the contact smelled burning rubber or plastic. The contact opened the hood of the vehicle and it was on fire. The current and failure mileage were 95,000. The contact can provide a copy of the police report. There were no injuries.

- Commerce, TX, USA

Aug 152006

Windstar 6-cyl

: the contact stated the cruise control did not deactivate when the brake pedal was depressed. The brake pedal needed to be slammed down to deactivate the cruise control. There were no lights illuminated on the dashboard. The dealership was contacted. The rear brake lights, taillights and turn signals did not function. The contact was unaware when the lights stopped functioning. The power door locks will not work. The contact expressed all of the locks failed at the same time. The driver's side power lock was the only lock that worked properly. The dealership was not contacted about other problems. Updated 9/15/2006 - a bad rem module was said to be the cause of all the failures.

- Denver, CO, USA