2002 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Dec 102010

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving the O/D light blinks on and off..also the brake lights will stay on after I have turned he van off.. this has resulted in a dead battery at the end of the day. 2002 for Windstar cargo van.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 072010

Windstar 6-cyl

We own a 2002 Ford Windstar and while driving it the air conditioning and speedometer stop working, the ABS and the ods light stay on. Smoke came from under the hood. We took it to coastal Ford on 09-09-2010 with the recall information off the internet. They said they could only replace the harness and a switch. We still have the same problem and sometime smell burning wires. This isn't safe for anyone. There are several complaints on the internet with same problems. We don't know why they haven't the solved problems. Does someone has to get burned up before actions are taken? we would lid like this to be taken care of as soon as possible. Thank you,

- Mount Vernon, AL, USA

Feb 242011

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. The contact was driving approximately 10 mph, when the instrument panel lights began to flash indicating that the odometer, speedometer, air conditioning and the ABS had malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but not repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The current and failure mileage was unknown.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Oct 262010

I took my van in to do the recalls. Well they said they saw nothing wrong with the most last 2 recent recalls. 2010 and 2011 dealing with front end and rear end. My question is if it doesn't look broken they don't have to fix it" I thought these parts were manufactured wrong, right? now how often should I take my van in to be inspected" at any given moment it could break and my 4 kids and I could go tumbling down the highway. They did do the speed odometer (which I'm watching closely for ABS/brake light to come on) and in process for child safety attachments. The anderson Ford dealership in cleveland tx will not do the other 2 recalls because it does not look broken, is this right? anyways ABS/brake light remains on and off all the time on my Ford Windstar. Will have it check for brake fluid leakage running down to components.

- Splendora , TX, USA

Feb 082011

After reading all these complaints, I am literally in shock! not to mention scared to death not only for my child's lives, but for myself/husband and other close family member's & friends that have also traveled with us past/present! this is a shame, that this many Windstar have all had this many/relative problems! I for one could not believe how every review from so many states were all linked! as I read many of these reviews/complaints I honestly had to ask myself have I posted here before" -as you can tell my Windstar is yet another victim added to the list. I took my van in yesterday to a Ford dealer for the recalls, picked it up today. I was given a inspection report card with different systems/components/tire/brake wear etc... 3 boxes along side of each green, yellow & red with the similar meaning as a stop light. Green=ok, yellow=may require future attention & red=immediate attention. It was brought to my attention that my tires box were checked yellow for all 4. this seemed odd to me considering I have a receipt that shows it hasn't been a month since I had 2 brand new goodyears put on the front! however, I do agree with the remark regarding the back. But this concerned me as to what type of inspection my van had went under.". and need I say before I got home from a 25 minute drive from the Ford dealer my ABS & brake lights are back on, surprise! I'm going to contact Ford in the morning, in regards of hopefully getting a helpful answer/explanation or at least a another appointment scheduled for a second opinion regarding my recall inspection!

- Ky, KY, USA

Jan 202010

In my 2002 Windstar the ABS and brake lights come on while driving and will go off only to come back on another time while driving. In 2009 we had the safety recall taken care of, but it did not resolve the issue. Now I am noticing while I have the van running, heat and radio on, the radio and clock lights will go on and off. Also, the back doors do not always unlock and it will take several times of pressing the power door locks to unlock before they will unlock. I am fearful there will be an issue and I will need to get my daughter out quickly and won't be able to because of the door lock issue.

- Lewiston, ID, USA

Aug 142010

ABS, brake and T/C lights all come on at the same time. This happens off and on for the past couple of months. Had car hooked up to find the failure code and was told there were too many, so they cleared the codes and said to bring it back if the lights come on again. They have come on again and I notice they sometimes will come on with accelerated speed.

- Fountain, CO, USA

May 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

After having the 2002 Windstar serviced at a Ford dealership for a recall related to ABS failure and possible fire we noticed a burning plastic smell. The smell lasted the entire day after picking the Windstar up at the dealers. We immediately called the service dept to report the smell and they stated the burning smell could not be related to the service they performed. The ABS and brake light came on later that day and has now been on intermittently ever since. We have noticed an increased stopping distance in wet weather. We have now had the Windstar in and had it diagnosed and the codes state that all 4 ABS wheel speed sensors have failed. That would include the brand new wheel speed sensors that have been replaced in an effort to get the ABS and brake lights to go out. When the codes are cleared the ABS light will stay off anywhere from minutes to hours depending on each reset. It is my belief that the brake problem is related to the recall.

- Gosport, IN, USA

Mar 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

Serious intermittent electrical issues with 2002 Ford Windstar. Break and ABS light have been illuminated intermittently in the instrument cluster panel since purchasing the car in October 2007. Then in March 2010, after smelling electrical burning, the battery light began intermittently illuminating and go off when gas is applied for a few moments. Assuming possible alternator or battery issue, changed out the two components. Break and ABS light and battery again began illuminating, and door locks began not working. Ford dealer performed 2009 ABS recall correction, but electrical issues remained. Then all electrical components stopped while I was driving with my children on a busy street. Lost power steering, doors all locked, breaks went out, oddly the interior lights blinked on and off like an airplane emergency lighting would during a crash landing. Unable to unlock back door to remove my toddler from the car seat, and had to pray no one would slam me from behind while I crawled into the backseat and unlatched him (because back lights were not lit) then exited the car. Had to be jumped to restart. Changed 3 batteries and 4 alternators (2 were motor craft) since March 2010. One alternator blew within moments after the car was started after changing it. Mechanic mentioned he noticed an arc flash prior to its blowing. Replaced all new wires going into and out of the alternator, all new battery cables. Replaced serpentine belt and several fuses. Battery light still comes on. Took van to Ford dealership, where they witnessed and acknowledged the illuminated battery light, hooked van up to electrical test equipment, and found nothing ($100). Hooked it up to the regular diagnostics test equipment (another $100) tried to sell me an intake manifold for $500 including labor (I didn't bite). They replaced the 2 door actuators on the front doors ($300) and then told me they were unable to diagnose the actual electrical problem. Lights still lit. Car reliability gone

- Norman, OK, USA

Oct 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake light comes on when the car gets hot. When the car is cold there is no problem with the ABS system. The air bag light came on at about 75,000 miles, cost to replace circuit board 675 dollars. The engine intake manifold warped which turned on the engine repair light, cost 950 dollars to repair. Updated 01/20/11

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Oct 272010

ABS and brake lights keep coming on. Cruise control not working. Speedometer, odometer and airconditioning have also stopped working. Due to short in the cruise control disable switch aka brake pressure differential deactivation switch located under the master cylinder caused from brake fluid leaking onto it. This in turn blew the #10 fuse. This switch is covered with brake fluid and could start a fire at any time. I have stopped driving it until I can replace the switch and clean off the brake fluid.

- Germanton, NC, USA

Dec 012008

Windstar 4WD 6-cyl

My ABS lites & brake lights are always coming on.

- Warren, RI, USA

Nov 092008

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and brake light come on after car has warmed up. Occurrence is much quicker and more frequent in summer months.

- Clayton, NC, USA

May 112010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS lights come on and off at different times. Brake fluid was checked, it is at the correct level. There was a recall for 2000 model Windstar with the same problem they received a brake repair.

- Dagsboro, DE, USA

Oct 152007

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving 40 mph the ABS brake light illuminated on the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer five to six times for the failure. The dealer replaced the brake pads and advised her that the problem was electrical. The electrical failure caused the radio and all of the interior lights to shut on and off intermittently. The vehicle also leaked oil and power steering fluid. She stated that per the dealer the vehicle needed an axle, rack and pinion which also affects the steering column. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was purchased used in 2007 and the failure started as soon as she purchased it. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 116,840.

- Milledgeville, GA, USA

Oct 252010

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS and brake lights continue to come on intermittently even after the recall was performed.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Nov 102009

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS & brake light on dash board keeps coming on when driving. Dealer says there is no recall for this.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jul 012010

My ABS and brake light keeps coming on at random after a few minutes of driving. It started a couple months ago, then stopped. Over the last 2 days, it's started up again. It's always after a couple minutes of driving. Brakes have been inspected and are supposedly fine.

- Lake Forest, IL, USA

Aug 232009

In September 2009 the mechanic at the dealer where I bought my Windstar told me the ABS module is bad and that I need a new one and have to go to the Ford dealer directly and pay around $800 and have it reset by their computer. This has cost me lots of money because I already spent $600 on rear brakes because of not knowing this is a common problem with Ford Windstar.also, immediately after purchasing this vehicle in 2007, the locks on the van don't work. Sometimes it locks by remote and sometimes the locks all work, but, the driver side. This is a pain. Now, I have a problem with the 'check engine' light coming on and I have had various mechanics try to reset the light and it will come back on again and again! I have spent hundreds on this van to have it in shape, but always something arises. Despite the cruise control recall, I have not had any problem with it and use it all the time, but will have to have it done. I wish Ford to fix all the problems this type of van has and so I won't have to spend hundreds, again, or I will have to get rid of it, which is a shame because I really love the tv, even though the screen give me problems and the vcr no longer works.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 012009

My brakes are working fine. But my ABS light keeps coming on for the past year. Prior to this, I had my oxygen sensor replaced. There is no definite movement that proceeds the light coming on, it can happen when I hit a bump, or when I simply drive along. It is becoming more and more recurrent. I was told it would be over $1,000 to replace, although the brakes were recently replaced, this did not remedy the problem.

- Hicksville, NY, USA