2002 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 9 of 12)

Aug 042009

I own a 2002 Ford Windstar sel. Recently had two messages of low brake fluid. ABS brake warning lights also come on and off on instrument panel. Cruise control stops working from time to time. Then on Aug 4, the entire instrument panel went haywire, and air conditioner stopped cooling. Having it looked at tomorrow, but this sounds like leaking brake fluid from bad switch has caused electrical meltdown. No fire - yet.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Oct 152008

Ford Windstar 2002. Cruise control only engages intermittently. When cruise control is on, it will dis-engage abruptly for no reason. Yellow ABS dash light and red brake warning dash light go on intermittently (simultaneously). After they go on, they stay on until the car is turned off. The ABS system appears to still work correctly even when the yellow ABS light is on and the red brake light is on (although there is no way for the driver to tell if the ABS system and brake system are working correctly or not when the warning lights are on). My local Ford dealership diagnosed that the ECM control module needs to be replaced. This is an expensive electronic component with no moving parts, and there is no reason that this board should be failing. This is a common problem with 2002 Ford Windstar models. I believe Ford should be required to offer free diagnosis and repair for any problems related to ECM control modules for this model year. I first noticed the problem around October 2008 as the weather turned colder. This is consistent with a theory that the ECM board is sensitive to temperature changes, which affects the correct working of the cruise control and ABS systems. The cruise control mostly did not work during the winter 2008-2009. As warmer temperatures arrived in spring 2009, the cruise control started to work intermittently again. Sometimes it engages correctly, sometimes I push the "set" button repeatedly and finally it engages, sometimes I push the "set" button repeatedly and it will not engage. When it is engaged, it will dis-engage abruptly for no reason. I suspect sometimes it dis-engages because the car hit a bump in the road - but frequently it dis-engages with no bump in the road. Having the cruise control dis-engage abruptly for no reason is a safety issue and could easily result in an accident. Having the ABS system not work correctly (due to the ECM module) is a safety issue and could easily result in an accident.

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Jul 272009

All at once, brake light and ABS light came on, O/D off light flashing. Speedometer and odometer ceased to function. Cruise control not working. Occurs immediately upon starting vehicle. Per mechanic, needs new ABS module, fuses however none are currently available in my area. They are waiting for the dealer to get a part - estimating 2-3 days.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Jul 282009

The speedometer sticks when the cruise control is turned on. The dash lights were showing the exclamation mark. I am looking into getting this fixed but it should be taken care of by Ford. It is an obvious engineering flaw with the brake pressure deactivation switch.

- Vancouver, 00, USA

Jul 202009

Purchased a 2002 Windstar XL from a dealer Feb 2009. All happened in a 12 week period. Engine, ABS, and brake lights came on as I left the lot from dealer. Went to have checked out and I was told I had a misfire in #5 plug and replaced intake manifold gaskets, new plugs, wires, oil changed. Had an oil leak 2 days later and went back and plug in oil pan replaced. Engine light stayed off 1 week and then started smelling antifreeze through A/C vents. Heater core is bad in it too so I had the heater core bypassed as a temporary fix. Engine light, ABS light & brake light was off for 2 hours then came back on. Found the cruise control deactivation switch was unplugged and plugged it in and then it blew a relay fuse in the box next to the battery. Replaced and left it unplugged. This controls the gauges on instrument panel, A/C, and cruise control. I replaced the cruise control deactivation switch and it burned the wires when engine was started. Overheating of wires caused the melting of wires. I had hood open so stopped engine before wires ignited.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 012009

ABS yellow and red brakes lights come on. Just adding my complaint to the list. Spent $400 to replace front axle they thought was the problem but is not. Happened at around 90,000 miles.

- Danville, IN, USA

Jul 112009

My brake pressure deactivation switch has failed and is allowing brake fluid to leak from my master cylinder onto my ABS system. My car is a 2002 Ford Windstar van. I noticed it about 3 weeks ago when I had to add fluid to my master cylinder (the brake light on the dash came on). This fixed the problem for a few days but then the light came on again. I have been adding fluid, but the bad switch allows it to leak out every couple of days. To be safe, I am replacing the switch and the master cylinder. I will have the old switch available.

- Decatur, AL, USA

Jul 092009

ABS and brake lights keep coming on. Cruise control not working. Speedometer, odometer and airconditioning have also stopped working. Due to short in the cruise control disable switch aka brake pressure differential deactivation switch located under the master cylinder caused from brake fluid leaking onto it. This in turn blew the #10 fuse. This switch is covered with brake fluid and could start a fire at any time. I have stopped driving it until I can replace the switch and clean off the brake fluid.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 082009

We have a 2002 Windstar with 165K miles. The ABS /brake light has intermittently come off and on for the last 2 years. I noticed that last year my cruise control began to periodically work. On Wednesday July 8th I started the van and noticed white smoke pouring from the hood. I immediately shut the vehicle off and traced the smoke to the brake pressure deactivation switch. I didn't know what it was until I read this article this was extremely helpful and saved me time on estimating the problem. The switch had burned and the plastic switch was dripping the melted fire plastic into my motor!

- Cypress, TX, USA

May 012009

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar. About 2 months ago the brake light, ABS light, and the traction control light came on the dashboard, as well as the speedometer and digital odometer quit working. I took it to a local Ford dealer to have it looked at, and they told me that the ABS module went bad and would need replaced. They quoted me $1006.17 + tax to fix it! it is my understanding that this year Windstar has a recurring problem with this module, and I would like to know if any work is being done on a recall?

- Hartville, OH, USA

Apr 102009

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar van, while driving, the van the ABS light, traction control light and the emergency brake light all come on at the same time. They remain on until I park the van. If I turn the van back on the lights are off, but once I begin driving again all three warning lights come on. I have had the van. I have read that there is a serious problem with this happening in Ford Windstar vans and it has resulted in fires. I am terrified to drive the van now, and would like to know when there will be a recall. This has been going on with my van, especially since the weather has gotten warmer.

- Halethorpe, MD, USA

May 152009

We own a Ford Windstar 2002 van. The following are occurring: Lost brake fluid, brake light, speedometer and odometer stopped working, ABS brake light, check engine light, cruise control will not activate and this is caused by leak in the brake pressure differential deactivation switch. The lights on the dashboard are permanent and I will need to take van in to the Ford dealer for repairs. Since this is a serious and dangerous matter caused by a defective part, we hope that they will recall this part and cover the costs for the parts and labor. We are disappointed with Ford.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 012008

2002 Ford Windstar brake light and ABS light on. Comes on after short time every time.

- V, AZ, USA

Apr 252009

We are having trouble with our 2002 Windstar van...the brake lights, ABS lights, and trac lights are coming on all of the time plus the od light, too!!! our mechanic says that brake fluid has dripped onto the ABS module, and that this could cause a fire!!! if you have so many complaints why don't you do something about it"??are you going to replace the parts???"

- Butler, IN, USA

Aug 112007

Continue to hear many people having electrical problems with '02 Ford Windstar. Our brake light and ABS light stays on and fuses keep blowing, esp. The fuse for interior lights. Recently the fuse that controls our radio and the remote has blown. I have heard there have been many fires so I am afraid to replace the fuses. I have had it to Ford and also to a shop that works strictly on electrical problems but have not had it resolved. I understand that the NHTSA is looking into having Ford recall some parts that are causing this problem and just wanted to get on the list of complaints.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Jun 012008

My 2002 Ford Windstar instrument cluster has illuminated the red brakelight yellow ABS lights and the trac off symbol sporadically since last summer this is consistent with information I found in a current NHTSA investigation. I have also read about other Windstar owners with similar issues. Sadly, they have had disastrous outcomes (vehicle fires and structure fires). There is no sign of brake fluid below brake fluid reservoir. Lights come on and do not always reappear right away when the engine is turned back on. Seems to be linked with exterior temperature - on days that are warm, the lights illuminate more frequently. On days that are cold, they are less likely to be illuminated. Did not happen at all during this past winter. As I stated, this has been going on for quite some time (almost a year) first noticed it last summer (2008) with 105,000 miles on the vehicle. Currently 135,000 miles on odometer. I have not parked the vehicle in the garage since last summer fearing a the possibility of a fire.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Apr 252009

My wife was driving our 2002 Ford Windstar and noticed smoke coming from under the hood and it smelled electrical. My 19 year old son noticed the smoke coming from the wires under the master cylinder. They called me and I suggested removing the wires from the brake pressure switch. He did but they were extremely hot. I did some online research to find a problem with Windstar pressure switches and wiring catching fire. I am glad a fire didn't start, but it could have. I would like to see Ford include 2002 Windstar in their recall.

- Lake Villa, IL, USA

May 122009

2002 Ford Windstar: The brake pressure differential deactivation switch (2B264) located under the master cylinder (behind the air filter) over time developed a leak that lead to a fire. The leaky switch at worst causes a fire at the point where it connects to the ABS ECM module. The car was off. I was standing nearby when a big pop and a great deal of smoke started coming out from under the car. When I looked under the car, there was a small fire. I used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

May 012009

The brake pressure cruise deactivation switch on my 2002 Windstar has leaked brake fluid down onto the wiring below the brake master cylinder. I have purchased the replacement switch from my nearest Ford dealer. But now my cruise control does not work, and the horn does not work, and the ABS and brake warning lights come on intermittently.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

May 152009

ABS light on, brake light on, check engine light on, no speedometer there is --------, no speedometer, no A/C, no cruise control.

- Mt. Sterling, OH, USA