2002 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Jan 292010

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar LX - brake light & ABS light activated (steady on) and od (overdrive) off light activated (flashing), concurrent with loss of analog speedometer and digital (led) odometer function. No obd II codes issued by system. Researched and found Ford recall 09S09 - speed control system modification, which (apparently) addresses this problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 152009

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar speedometer failed, ABS warning light remains on, brake warning light remains on, cruise control malfunctions, fuses burning out, heat control not working.

- N Fort Myers, FL, USA

Nov 222009

Windstar

The wiring to the master cylinder speed control pressure switch melted and caused a small fire which fortunately was put out. An extremely dangerous situation. Apparently brake fluid leaked from the master cylinder onto the switch. 2002 Ford Windstar.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Feb 242009

Windstar

Smoke and terrible plastic burning smell inside the cabin of my 2002 Ford Windstar van. Taking my van in to a repair shop in February, I had to have the ABS module and cruise control module and all associated wiring replaced, due to some evident fluid leaking of some kind (I believe they said break fluid). My cost was $1,030.98, and the repair shop said this could happen again ("??"). they thought this issue may warrant a recall. I do have my parts they replaced.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Aug 062007

Windstar

Own a 2002 Ford Windstar. For about 2 yrs. We have had problems with the brake light/ABS light coming on intermittently. Then we experienced problems with fuses blowing. We would replace them and sometimes they would last 10 min. Sometimes 2 weeks. Now besides the interior lights not working, the radio, clock, cd player are all not working and replacing fuses doesn't help. There is always an odor of burning plastic and at times smoke comes out from under the hood, but no fire. I have received the recall for the speed control deactivation switch, yet when I called Ford to schedule an appt. They told me the electrical problem was something different. I don't believe them a since supposedly brake fluid is leaking and destroying wires. I just want this documented as I do not have the money for a large repair bill.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Nov 212007

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Windstar. While driving the vehicle would stall without any prior warnings. The vehicle was towed to a dealer twice. The technicians were able to restart the vehicle, but were unable to determine the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000. The current mileage was approximately 75,000. Updated 12/22/09 updated 12/22/09

- Portage, IN, USA

Nov 012009

Windstar

Bought this van used. Almost immediately, the ABS and brake light would come on the instrument panel for no reason. The vehicle still operates normally. After turning off and restarting, the lights go off. They may not come on again for days. It seems to happen more in warmer weather.

- Burrton, KS, USA

May 152009

Windstar

Red and yellow brake dash light come on intermittently after it warms up awhile. Will remain on until the vehicle is shut down. I have had the recall done # 09S09.

- Elkhart, IA, USA

Mar 102002

Windstar

ABS light comes on in the instrument cluster panel this disabled odometer reading, speedometer, od(over drive) begins to flash and heater and air condition stops working, in the cjb (central junction box) 15amp fuse keeps blowing out.each time I replace it. Note: When I replace the 15amp fuse every component will be operable for only 10 to 30min driving then the ABS lights comes back on and every component mentioned will be disable.

- Chino, CA, USA

Aug 242009

Windstar

This is an update to ODI number 10278659. The cruise control actuator switch was identified as leaking brake fluid by my independant auto repair shop. They replaced the "cruise control actuator switch" part number yf1Z 9C888 ab at a cost of $34.56 for parts and $22.50 for labor. They also replaced the wiring harness that connects to the switch. After this was done, the cruise control started to work consistently again. The ABS light and brake warning light still come on intermittently. Sometimes I have noticed they go on after I hit a bump. Once they go on, they remain on for the duration of the journey (until the car is turned off).

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Aug 232009

Windstar

Brake and ABS brake light on timelessly, sometime smoke coming from engine and strong smell of burning plastic or rubber.

- Edmonton, 00, USA

Sep 072009

Windstar

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar, I went to park on labor day this year and parked my van. A few hours later, I went to van and tried to use my remote to get in and it would not work. Once I got directly on the van I smelled an odor that smelt like burnt rubber that was really strong. I got in van with my key and started the van. It was very hot that day so I went to roll down the power windows and they didn't work. I then went to turn on the air conditioning and it didn't work. I then looked at my dash and realized I had loss all power; nothing was work, odometer, temperature gauge, radio, headlights etc. I thought I just blew a fuse and stayed at the park. When I went home several hours later I still smelled odor but told my husband I would go to shop in morning before work to have my mechanic look at it. That morning I went to shop and they said it was not a fuse and after several hours of them doing visual and computer diagnostics they found that the ABS system caught fire and started burning into my gas line. They said we were very lucky van didn't total catch on fire. They ended replacing the whole ABS unit under the van and had to replace all wires that had burnt and rewire everything. Repair is almost $900 dollars. They van gave no warnings that something like this would happen. I feel very scarred to continue driving this van, even with repair being done because I feel like it can happen again and next time we may not be so lucky. I am still paying on the van and stuck. I hope Ford does something before someone loses their life. I have not picked up van yet and am considering telling car dealer to pick it up at shop and taking repo on my credit.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Aug 012009

Windstar

I have had a continual brake fluid leak on this vehicle. In addition, while driving the vehicle on 08/06/2009, the ABS light and brake light suddenly came on, and the speedometer, odometer, and air conditioning stopped working. My mechanic replaced the #10 fuse, which fixed the problem for one day, then the fuse blew again. The Ford trouble code C1185 came up on the diagnostic computer, and my mechanic suggested I replace the ABS module. Looking at the switch in question, it is covered in brake fluid. I now have no air conditioning, speedometer, odometer, or ABS system functionality, along with a chronic brake fluid leak. Please investigate this and make Ford recall either the defective ABS module, the brake deactivation switch, and the leaky master cylinder! hopefully, all three of these items will be included in a recall!

- Roy, UT, USA

Aug 312009

Windstar

Brake warning light and ABS warning light illuminate for no apparent reason.

- Novi, MI, USA

Jun 012009

Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar - after driving for some time, traction control, ABS, and brake lights on dash illuminate, along with an audible alarm. Lights go off if car is turned off and on again, only to return later unpredictably. Analysis to date indicates either and ECM/ECU or ABS control module failure.

- Wyoming, OH, USA

Aug 242009

Windstar

The ABS and brake lights come on my dashboard intermittently on my 2002 Ford Windstar. I have no trouble w/ my brakes, yet this continues to happen. I have changed the deactivation switch under the master cylinder twice, but this keeps recurring. Ford should have a recall on this problem.

- Levittown, NY, USA

Aug 222009

Windstar

The odometer, speedometer, A/C, and overdrive stopped working so we replaced fuse #10 and later that day the brake pressure deactivation switch caught on fire.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 152009

Windstar

While driving home one night headlights, and signal lights stopped working (lights in back continued to function) odometer stopped illuminating, and message panel displayed inconsistently. ABS light came on randomly at times, and eventually, the speedometer stopped working. After several hours of labor tracking down the problem, the G.E.M. module was replaced (at great cost). After replacing the G.E.M. module, it became apparent that the instrument cluster was bad and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, these parts are on backorder and our only car has now been in the shop for more than two weeks and nobody can give us any idea when the part will be available and when the car will be repaired. Furthermore, the Ford dealership where our car sits in an undrivable state (the repair department told us that there is a risk of fire if we were to drive it) told us that there are three other Windstar there waiting for the same part, and agreed with us (off the books) that considering the quantity of problems they are seeing with the instrument cluster there should have been a recall.

- Tariffville, CT, USA

Apr 272009

Windstar

Brake pressure switch leaked brake fluid causing failure of cruise control, speedometer, and odometer. Red brake light and yellow ABS light on constantly. Had repair done at local Ford dealer. Paid $200 for analyzer and $700 to replace wiring, cruise control module and speedometer module. Brake and ABS lights are now off. Second day out of the shop the ABS and brake lights come on intermittently. Estimate #700.00 I am hoping the NHTSA rules on this defect as a safety hazard and orders a recall.

- Chester, NY, USA

Aug 082009

Windstar

Brake lights come on when vehicle is off and they will stay on after you remove your foot from the pedal. We have had the brake pedal switch replaced 2 times already and it keeps happening. If the lights come on in the middle of the night (has happened several times), the van will not start in the morning. This remains an ongoing problem which the repair shop can not fix and recommended that we file this report. This has been going on for the last couple of years. The van sometimes smells hot inside if we catch it before the battery goes dead. I'm not sure what to put for the approximate incident date so I will put today's date since it did it again today.

- Altoona, IA, USA