Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 302015

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V415000 (structure) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.....updated 01/13/16 the consumer stated the matter was resolved. Updated 01/22/16.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA

Oct 192015

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While parked, the vehicle's rear liftgate was up. When the contact placed something in the rear of the vehicle, the liftgate collapsed and struck her. There were no injuries. The liftgate was able to be opened, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the gas struts that hold up the liftgate needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V415000 (structure); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 1/20/16

- Spirit Lake, IA, USA

Dec 162009

Acadia 6-cyl

I bought the car in late 2008, it has leak every since the first time it rained. I have taken to the dealer more than a few times. The only solution they give me is to seal shut the sunroof. The dealer believe that is the problem. It used to leak from the sunroof but now every time it rains it leaks and a lot and from all over the place. It has severe water damage and the car smells awful because it is wet all the time. My car only has 77,000 miles and I was hoping it will last me a while but now I'm not sure. The vehicle has manufacture defective roof drains.

- Glendale, NY, USA

Nov 192014

2 drilled holes in the sunroof are allowing water to flow throughout vehicle wiring harnesses. Water has settled in engine and harnesses. In my case, the water shorted out the amplifier. Worried that this could also create electrical fire or other malfunction(s).

- Hinckley, OH, USA

Jul 152014

Water leaking after rain storm down to floor mats on both the driver and passenger side. We had our windshield recently replaced back in may of this year, so I thought that this was maybe the issue and took back to the glass repair shop. Upon investigating further, they found that the issue was happening to many of the GMC vehicles on the electrical recall. I went to GM's website and entered my VIN and nothing about this issue on our personal vehicle. In our small community there have been two house fires, major damage caused by the electrical system ignition etc on GM vehicles. We do not want to be the next victim.

- Marshall, MN, USA

Sep 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

Water leaking into vehicle cabin entering through panoramic sunroof and ending in the electronic components under the driver side causing multiple dashboard warning lights to turn on and inoperable at times when lit. On two instances vehicle unable to start took to dealership for repairs and after a few days and unable to replicate was sent home. Currently breaks and electronic stability control lights come on and off intermittently and unable to operate cruise control.

- Sunyside, WA, USA

Jun 132014

Water leaking into the floorboard saturating the carpet.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

May 292014

Water sloshing under the glove box, and getting on passenger's shoes. Pulled plastic housing around blower motor to find it completely filled with water (same as described at this youtube video Turns out the sunroof drain is clogged and the interior is filling with water (like in this youtube video The battery compartment is full of water.

- Caseyville, IL, USA

Feb 082011

Acadia 6-cyl

Water leaks in car when it rains, over the past 4yrs my car has been back to dealership for same problem, in which they fixed at no charge to myself and once again I am experience the same leak when it rains. They safety concerns are very big because of all the electrical wires that the water may be coming in contact with, including the air bags. I have contacted dealership and GMC and they both say that I am responsible for the repairs this time. The problem is their design and I know that they are aware of it because of the many, many, many other customers having the exact same problem. Something must be done.

- Greenwood , SC, USA

Jul 132013

Acadia 6-cyl

First incident occurred when we went to a family reunion for the weekend. We were at a camp ground in a cabin and did not enter the car all weekend. It rained all weekend very hard at times. When we did enter the car to go home noted approx. 1 inch of water to the floor of both driver and passenger side of vehicle. At the time I thought maybe I just didn't have the sun roof closed all the way. Dried it up and didn't think much more about it. Car is garage kept so most of the time it is not exposed to rain. Another day took my son to dentist, it was raining very hard that day on the way home water started pouring out of 3rd row light then noted sounds of water splashing around in headliner. I was able to dry it up and mentioned it when I had an oil change. I was told the drain tubes were probably blocked and did a check on those with no problems. As I said the car is garage kept so fortunately it has not been exposed to a lot of rain. However this week we have had a lot of rain the car has been parked out side while I work. Yesterday when I came home I again noted large amount of water in floor boards. Dried it up again with plan to take to dealer on next day off. Today when I came home from work I had placed towel in sunroof area in case of more rain, towel was soaked dripping down onto seats floor was again soaked. When I got home turned key off, removed key but car continued to run, sputtered for approx. 2-3 mins then shut off. Started it up again and shut it off removed the key and it did the same. Heard a continued humming sound coming from engine. At this point I had worked all night so just left it. I will take to dealer tomorrow but it is out of warranty. I have researched this problem and found hundreds of complaints. No fix by GMC.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jul 152013

Acadia 6-cyl

Fluid leaked from master cylinder to power booster no visible leaks repaired at my expense about a week later a bulletin from GM that was to extend my warranty to 10 year 120000 miles. There is a process in place to return my money. No safety recall ! both front struts have gone out. The air conditioner is causing problems because of off and on cooling. All of this is with in 55000 miles, the car has 55055miles as of this dated. There seems to be a process of no safety recalls but to issue extended warranty. We all know what recalls do to sales.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Jul 292013

Problem #1 of 3: during heavy rains, water would leak in through the sun visors on both sides. Took it to the dealership several times. They said the drain tubes from the sunroof were clogged, they blew it out, when that didn't work, they charged me to put it longer tubes, when that didn't work, they said it was because they only replaced the front tubes, not the back. Problem #2 of 3: when driving through water puddles at low speed I lose power steering for a brief time (which is troublesome when turning). Problem #3 of 3: two warning lights for airbags come on everytime I start the vehicle. I can push a button each time to make the written warning go away, but the red light with a picture stays on. Not sure if the airbags would deploy or not.

- Savoy, IL, USA

May 062013

Water leaks in front driver and passenger side floor boards, hard to tell where the leak is occurring. Water leaks everytime it rains and drips down onto the wiring and airbags. This causes the gas and brake pedals to become slick posing a safety issue. We bought the vehicle used and this is the first few times we've noticed it. Water leaking on the wiring system cant be good everyone knows water and electricity do not mix.

- Appomattox, VA, USA

Apr 112013

Acadia 6-cyl

We were parked with the back end up on a slope, when we went down onto level ground a large amount of water came in between our windshield and ceiling- it poured onto our passenger side dash. We thought we got all the water soaked up right away. The next morning our car was making a clicking sound and wouldn't start. It wouldn't give the key back. When we jumped it- it wouldn't shut off. We had to unhook the battery- very dangerous. This went on for days.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Mar 092013

Acadia 6-cyl

Our vehicle sat out in the rain for several hours because we were at our daughter's sporting event in another town. When we came back to our vehicle to drive home, we noticed the carpet was wet and when my husband pulled forward water began to come out of both the third row light and seatbelts. We did our best to clean the water up and planned on contacting the dealership as soon as we could. We drove the car to work the following morning as this is our main vehicle and when my husband shut off the car he noticed that it was making a strange noise. When he tried to restart the car it would not start. We attempted to jump the car, but it would not turn over. We ended up contacting a towing company to take the car to the local dealership. After a month of our car being out of commission, GM and the dealership have determined that there is extensive damage and we will need to have the wiring and circuit boards replaced at a cost of $6000. GM has completely washed theirs hands of this and continues to say it is an environmental issue and we didn't maintain the sunroof properly (although no documentation was given to inform us that this needed to happen) and clearly they know of the design flaw since they recalled it once for a leaky roof (we had the recall done). There are documented mold issues (which make people sick), airbags that have quit working, defroster motor issues in northern states, in addition to a complete vehicle failure while driving in an undesirable neighborhood. Here is a link to where there are many, many complaints.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Jan 252010

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle leaks water when it rains onto driver and front passenger. Water leaks into airbags and visors. After rains, vehicle will not turn off, even with key removed. Vehicle rolls significantly while in park or when in gear. Transmission skips and slips.

- Belton, TX, USA

Mar 102013

Water water water leaking in vehivle everywhere. Dripping from rear overhead lights, rear back-up sensor, around emergency brake, A-pillars are soaked, pooling on driver side floor. Water and electrical = nothing but problems and more problems. This is now our second Acadia in the last month first was a 07 which water was also leaking from even more areas (opened overhead dvd and water just poured out). That vehicle was fixed per tsb yet problem never solved it just continued to leak. Dealership bought it back once they found us a different Acadia which I now have a 08. They said they found out that the 07's water leaking was a major issue but not with the 08's. well we signed the papers on March 1st and no suprise water leaking everywhere by March 10th. I contacted GMC and was told to have it diagnosed and then they will pass it on to some other department claim specilist person to see if they can help. Oh yeah and found out from GMC that the tsb for drain tube extensions has already been done on vehicle. I am hopefull that GMC will take care of this issue at their expense. ---with the first vehicle, after water issue started my wife would be driving and the power seat would move all the way forward and she could not stop that from happening. She tried to hit the button to stop the seat from moving but it was non responsive until the seat was all they way forward. My wife as very long legs and said if she would have had to make any sort of emergency manovers she would not have been able to. If GMC does not reslove this issue I plan on start the process of a class action lawsuit for all affected Acadia owners.

- Okauchee, WI, USA

Dec 102012

Acadia 6-cyl

Water leak from either sunroof drain tube or faulty seam seal, caused water to come into vehicle causing floors and doormats to be wet and cause moldy odor. Also caused major corrosion to harness and fuse box. Told there could be more corrosion, but won't know until they pull those parts out. I have researched water leak recalls for GMC Acadia's, and although it is currently not a recall, it is a very common problem that happens in many Acadia's, therefore, I believe this problem should be made a recall! I am told that water leaks are not covered under my limited warranty and they only offered to go half with me on the repairs. Told it will be between $900-$1,600. Even going half on either of those amounts, I do not feel it is fair that I pay anything toward a problem that GM knew about when the Acadia came out in '07. Instead of doing something about it back then, they opted to wait and deal with it on a case to case basis. This is not fair that we consumers have to pay for their poor workmanship! GM should be held accountable for their negligence in selling a vehicle that has proved to have continuous water leaks.

- Bristol, CT, USA

May 102012

We bought the Acadia used from a local dealer and the first time it rained significantly water leaked in around the door post at front of vehicle. This leak caused some of the electrical boards to short out which allowed us not to be able to shut the vehicle off even with the key removed. We took it to the dealer, they informed us about the electrical boards and stated the charge to repair. After a call to GM complaint line they repaired the board at no charge to us, but after about 2months same problem accrued same issues. Dealer said water still leaking in but could not find, they dried out the electric connections and said to try it again. After 2months the problem happened again to no help from dealer, my concern is fear of fire from shorted boards or the build up of mold under carpet. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

- Idamay , WV, USA

Aug 262012

Acadia 6-cyl

While it was raining outside, I was sitting in the back seat and happened to look up and saw water/ rain trickling out from around the rear interior overhead light, it was also coming in around the sensor in the overhead. The trickle eventually slowed down to a drip. In my opinion, water and electricity don't mix.

- Rosedale, MD, USA