Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 182016

1) a transmission switch plate error - warranty repair (GMC never paid my hotel/rental car claim. On hwy with family. 2) transmission issue - paid close to $2000. I asked if this would lead to transmission failure; they told me no, car would be good to go.the person who helped me no longer works at the el paso dealership when I reported he tried to overcharge me. Driving on hwy in el paso with kids. 3) transmission - paid $4000+ for transmission (GMC claims not related to the previous repair); discussed with service dept if we should spend more money on the car...they told me the new transmission would work. (mileage was 125K) the transmission failed while moving from el paso to Colorado safe place to stop. 4) 2 mos later (now) - claim the timing belt failed and rh tie rods need repair and they say I declined a repair. I never discussed this needed repair and the possibility of a $2600 repair following this $4000 if they mentioned it, they never said you have $6600 worth of work in front of you. I already was concerned about paying $4000 after paying $2000. It happened on highway. GMC is more than aware of these issues with their cars and they are leaving their customers to deal with it. I have a 2002 GMC Envoy and never paid anything close in repairs. There are serious problems with this make and model. We are also a military family who travels quite a bit. We started getting errors on road trips and we even had the original warranty repair while we were out of town, causing us to be stranded on the side of the highway in the Washington DC area when our car just stopped. GMC is showing a total disregard for its customers. They are aware of these issues and they are not taking any responsibility for them. They are putting their customers in physical danger and wreaking havoc on our finances. This is disgusting and unacceptable.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 082012

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving various speeds, the vehicle shook, stalled, and shut off. The stability and traction control lights illuminated. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road, turned off the vehicle, and restarted it after a couple of minutes. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who reset the "stability and traction controls", but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there was no recall. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Moreno, CA, USA

Jun 162016

I noticed that when driving on an expressway and would attempt to pass a slower moving vehicle, as I would move into the passing lane and attempt to accelerate, the car would hesitate for a few seconds, lose speed, then suddenly downshift and accelerate at an unexpected rate. I also noticed that the car would unexpectedly accelerate or decelerate under normal driving conditions. I bought the vehicle to the dealer for repair, they responded that they could find nothing wrong, but the what I was experiencing was characteristic of the 6-speed transmission on the vehicle. The problem continued and I found it dangerous. I returned the vehicle and the dealer's remedy was to "reset the transmission computer." During this time, I also noticed that the "service stabilitrac and traction control" warning would come on. It dosen't matter if your driving or idle or in park these warnings and problems still exist.the dealer fixed one wheel sensor but the problem still occurs. The service airbag warning lights still comes on there was a recall for that I had it fixed but warning still comes on. This vehicle has had so many recalls automatic lift gate, air bag warnings, power steering pump and hose. The rack & pinion will need to be replaced in the vehicles short life span, all of the suspension parts bushings will have to be replaced at some point so this means control arm, sway bar sway, sway bar links toe links of course with these issues you will have to replace struts and shocks, can government/General Motors sell a vehicle this expensive and have so many problems these vehicles are unsafe to drive something needs to be done about this before someone gets seriously 08 GMC Acadia is pure garbage someone needs to be held accountable because these vehicles have major mechanical and electrical issues, recalls and are unsafe to be driving

- Springfield, MA, USA

Jun 012015

My 2008 Acadia is now on it's 4th thermostat. I'm about to send it in to have it replaced. My SUV keeps overheating. So far I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, and stability track. Is there any one else who has this problem?

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Apr 112016

Either when I first start the car or when the car is in motion the stabilitrak and the traction control warning comes on- sometimes it comes with an engine power reduced warning and the car does not drive well until I can pull over and turn it off- wait a couple of minutes and sometimes it clears when I turn it back on and other times the warning is still there. More recently it is also having the brake warning light come on and I replaced the front brake pads only 2 months ago so I know its not my brakes. Need this fixed asap!

- Garland, TX, USA

Jan 222016

While driving the vehicle at a normal speed (55) on a highway, a dinging sound comes on and the car goes into reduced power mode, losing speed. The stabilitrak and the traction control warning comes on. This makes it difficult to cross traffic at intersections as the car will barely accelerate. There is no warning that this is going to happen. Also, the cars behind you do not know why you are slowing down. Then when you turn the car off and restart it, the lights go off and the car drives fine. After three trips to the GMC dealer, the throttle body was determined to be the problem. GMC has issued special circumstances warranty on the 2007 & the 2009 but not the 2008. I do not feel that the warranty is sufficient. I do not understand why there is not a recall because after searching the forums, I have found that there are numerous complaints with this happening. I had my grandkids in the car with me and we could have been hurt when we had the sudden loss of power we experienced.

- Mauk, GA, USA

Jan 022016

I have had service air bag lights come on all the time along with service stabletrack and and I think something with the fuel when I get gas it makes weird sounds and won't start without pumping the gas to get it started.

- Bellsire, OH, USA

Jan 252016

Going down the high way the stabilitrack light comes on after turning off the car turning it back on it goes out the light hasn't came back on its been a couple months it only comes on when driving far. Also have a problem with the brakes they go all the way to the floor hard to stop the car. My girlfriend told me about the problem I drove it myself to see if it would do it to me never did till today I almost hit 2 cars

- Clairton, PA, USA

Nov 302015

Received notice from GM re power steering, do not take to vehicle for service unless problem is known. I took vehicle for tire rotation and mechanic noticed power steering fluid leaking, caused damage to rack, pinion, etc. (estimate attached). Called GM dealer and GM cust service, will only cover defective power steering pump not the damage caused by defective pump. Since GM advised not to get fixed until issue occurs (I still have power steering, was not aware of the issue until tires were rotated) why should I be liable for the additional damage caused? also, this morning 12/08/15, while taking my daughter to school, the car buckled and stabiltrak, check engine light came on with a message "power reduced", only able to drive 20-25 miles. The same issue occurred appx. A year ago and I filed a complaint. The light goes and off just like a year ago. After reading several bulletins for the 2008 GMC Acadia, all the above issues are a known issue. I should not have to pay for vehicle defects that are common in all of the vehicles.

- Shillington, PA, USA

Nov 102015

Transmission started getting sluggish around 88, 000 miles. Vehicle wouldn't crank due to electrical stabilizer, now my sunroof is leaking. Dealership is going to charge me $275 dollar to unblock the sunroof drains what a rip off when this is the three time I have had the drains cleaned and the sunroof still leak. This has to be a GMC problem that they refuse to acknowledge. The transmission is still under the GMC warranty so thank god I don't have to pay out of pocket for that. The electrical modules seem to be okay for now but at any giving time the vehicle may stop working. GMC should own up to these problems and look out for their customers.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Sep 162015

Driving home from work, got on the highway and was going about 70mph and the traction control light came on. Then the message displayed to service stabilizer trak. Then the message service traction control. N the car started rocking side to side. I have had nothing but problems with this SUV since I bought it. It is the most scariest car to drive. I would love to trade it in, but can't because of the negative equity.

- Nelsonville, OH, USA

Jun 012015

The service brake light and stabilatrac comes on every time you start the vehicle and sometimes while driving. Have not received a quote from the dealership yet. Will there be a recall that effects this or is it our problem to drop 1500 dollars to repair a manufacturer defect

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Feb 122014

While driving on the interstate the stabilitrak, traction control and reduced power lights came on. The car was running really rough and I had to cross traffic to pull over. I turned it off and sat for 5-10 minutes. I started it and it acted like nothing had happened. I drove it directly to a Chevy dealer and they said the only thing they could find was that it appeared that the throttle body had moisture in it and the moisture had frozen. They dried it out and its been fine, until last week. I was on my way to Chicago, again on the interstate, and the all the lights started coming on, then the engine light, but I did not lose power this time. I'm really afraid to drive my car and unfortunately I have several more trips to Chicago in the near future. I would take our other vehicle, but it is also a GM product and is having the same issues. I have read many forums where the same situation has been happening for as far back as 6 years and appears to be a major problem for a lot of GM owners. People are having sensors changed out, throttle body replaced and other work done on their vehicles and nothing is solving the problem. GM needs to find out what the problem is and fix it! its very dangerous to be driving along in wall to wall traffic and lights start coming on and there is the possibility of losing power in the middle of all that! unfortunately, since we have two GM vehicles with the same problem, there is no way to avoid driving one of them. Fyi - I also read that there are problems going on with leaks in the rack and pinion and sway bar issues. I had a leak in my rack and pinion and had to replace the sway bars last fall.

- Mapleton, IL, USA

Feb 042015

Stabilitrak system says it is "off" car makes a recurrent beeping noise, warning light to check brake system shows. Occurs randomly at any time of day. No leaks from car, still brakes well.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Mar 102015

Acadia 6-cyl

Check engine lights are on, and stability lights on, dealer says problem is due to timing chain problem. There is technical bulletin out for this vehicle located here: GMC is not offering to fix this problem without a large fee, saying our VIN does not match the recall. Yet there is a technical bulletin describing our exact problem. Can you let us know if our vehicle is covered by this technical bulletin and if there are other complaints similar to this for our vehicle.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Feb 062015

Acadia 6-cyl

My family and I were driving out of town and then started to feel the car jerk at times and then out of no were it said stability traction control off and reduced power of engine and then engine started to make a terrible noise and shaking like it was going to give out. I could barely pull over. I have taken it several times in to get checked for the stability and they can never find anything wrong and they say its one thing and all I seem to do is pay for something that doesn't need to be fixed. This same issue has happened 3 times since then.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 222014

I was driving and the panel said transition off, losing power engine.the car starting shaking. I pulled over to the side of the highway, turn it off and it didn't want to start. Waiting 20-30 minutes it turn back on. I drove like 15 mins and did it again.

- York Haven, PA, USA

Dec 092014

Acadia 6-cyl

I am requesting a recall on 2008 GMC Acadia's (throttle body). I have a 2008 GMC Acadia that is experiencing major issues. These issues include speed reducing in the middle of a busy intersection with my 16 year old son in the car. The panel displayed a red message "service traction control". went a few blocks further when the car shut off completely on a busy street; police pushed me off the main street to a less populated side street. Messages displayed on panel "'traction control reducing power". I'm concerned not only for my safety but concerned about the many other customers of GMC who have experienced the same issue (similar issues found on the internet/blogs). My son and I could have been seriously injured if not killed because of this faulty part. I trust that GMC will do the right thing and recall this item before someone is seriously injured.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 022011

Acadia 6-cyl

On February 2, 2011 my cars service brake system and stabilitrak lights came on and traction control turned off. Car was brought into dealer for diagnosis and repair. Master cylinder leaking break fluid into booster. If not fixed and brake fluid leaks further, brakes will fail. August 6th 2014, vehicle was brought back to dealer for same issues. Service brake system/brake lights on. Stabilitrak light on and traction control turned off on vehicle. SUV will loose brakes if all the brake fluid leaks into booster. Faulty parts pose a serious hazard as there is no evidence visual to the eye that break fluid is leaking. If breaks were to go out serious injuries and accidents would be the result. GM has been notified of the issue and will not stand behind their parts. GMC sees no problem in master cylinders and boosters failing after approximately 30,000 miles and therefore customers are faced with thousands of dollars of repairs. GMC won't take ownership to replace faulty parts that have gone bad repeatedly. 3 master cylinders and 3 boosters in a car that is only at 80,000 miles is a serious defect in parts. We are lucky brakes haven't failed 100% and killed innocent people because of GMC's negligence on fixing faulty parts that have been well documented on master cylinder and booster replacements.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 022011

Acadia 6-cyl

In 2011, our Acadia electrical system started to malfunction. First the driver's side headlight wiring burnt. We had that replaced. After the headlight, we started noticing the engine light was coming on and the air bag sensor was notifying us that the air bags will not deploy. None of the sounds where coming on in the car. For example, if you were not wearing your seatbelt the "dinging" did not happen. I took the Acadia in for service and they told me it was my cell phone that triggered the defect. I thank god I was not in an accident however if GMC knew of the defects why not be up front with us. My family and I travel plenty. Safety is the number one concern, we bought the Acadia faithfully and hopes GMC provides the best service possible.

- Roswell, NM, USA