Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Feb 132013

Acadia 6-cyl

In February of this year (2013) the transmission in our 2008 GMC Acadia failed while I was driving my two small children home from preschool. Thankfully I never lost control of the car although it was extremely frightening and a very dangerous experience to not be able to shift into another gear while in the middle of moving traffic on a busy road. I barely made it home, drove with my hazard lights on, shaking and counting my blessings that our car was not hit and we were not hurt. What makes it all the more upsetting is that GM is aware of this issue with 2008 Acadia models but yet has never done a recall on the defective transmissions in our cars. GM is essentially telling it's customers that it does not care about their safety or well being. They allow us to continue to drive their cars even though they are aware of the potential danger involved when the transmission shuts down. I cannot afford another car for my family right now so every day I live in fear that this car will fail again and put us in danger. It is not the safe, reliable car I was led to believe it was when I purchased it for my family vehicle. GMC should be forced to recall these cars (2007/2008 GMC Acadia) and required to put in completely new transmissions.

- Stone Ridge, VA, USA

Jun 292013

While out shopping with my children when I attempted to turn off the vehicle to depart for the mall, the ignition turned to the off position, I removed the key but the car remained on. I then noticed that the check engine light illuminated. Shortly after, the car began shaking violently; I assume as it was attempting to shut off. I inserted the key, shifted into to reverse, pulled out of spot and then back in again. Proceeded to turn vehicle off and again, key removed but car still running. Again the violent shaking along with loud noises began. Afraid, I instructed my children to leave the vehicle. We got a comfortable distance from the vehicle and continued to watch. It took 25 minutes for the car to shut totally down. When I went back to the car, as I opened the door, I noticed the warning sound as if the key was in the ignition and also although the entire dash was off, the check engine light was still on, (im not sure how since the car was "off" and no key inserted). I drove the car home and the same thing happened when exiting the vehicle. The car remained on, began shaking and the check engine light also stayed on after the car was totally shut down. Very scary experience. I noticed via the internet that this was not a new issue. I wonder why GM would not have corrected this problem with its vehicles by now. I am a single parent and my teenage daughter sometimes has to run errands for me in this vehicle, I would hate for this to happen when im not with her.... its was frightening enough for me!

- Redan, GA, USA

Apr 182013

Transmission blew.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Apr 172013

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving my 2008 GMC Acadia along with my sister and her two god children. We were at a red light and proceeded to go when the light turned green. Got up to 20mph and the SUV jerked severely. Once it jerked the SUV would not go over that mileage. We were all scared! I took them home and drove to a GM dealership. I paid $114 for a diagnostic test and was told they did not know what was wrong. They speculated that a wave plate broke or moved. They advised in order to know for sure, I would have to pay $900 plus for a deeper diagnostic! I'm under my 100K mileage and no one is honoring that. I'm a mba student and don't have that kind of cash! I've only had this SUV for 3 years. I bought it used, had only one owner before me, and it was under 20K miles. Sounds like GM's product is not reliable and they do not stand behind their product. I tried to buy an american product to put help our economy and this is the repayment for it! I'm going back to foreign cars, I will never purchase another GM built vehicle as long as I breath!

- Addison, TX, USA

May 252009

Acadia 6-cyl

Multiple problems with this vehicle. It has been in the shop more than 10 times in the past 4 years that I have owned it, frustrating. List of repairs: Timing belt, head lights, steering, camshaft, oil leak, struts, brakes and this is what I can recall mostly.this vehicle has had multiple services especially for service stability track that never gets repaired, they can't find the problem. Also service air bag keeps coming on but dealership cannot do anything while the light is not on. Very frustrated with this vehicle. I have never experienced so many repairs and services with any other vehicle as I have the Acadia. I owned a galant car before the Acadia for 5 years and only had to do one repair in those 5 years I owned it. I regret purchasing this vehicle! I am a single mother of two and I need a dependable vehicle not one that is malfunctioned!

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 232013

Acadia 6-cyl

Wave plate went out on vehicle. This has happened to hundreds of these 2008 vehicles. I was driving four children and vehicle completely stopped. I was not out of mileage warranty only have 70,000 but was out of year warranty.

- Russellville, AL, USA

Jan 212013

Acadia 6-cyl

Traveling approximately 65 mph in the far left lane of a major highway. Going up a slight incline I tried to accelerate but the car was not reacting then the rpms would shoot up but the car would not react. I had to cross 3 lanes of traffic to get to the emergency lane. The car would not go over 20 mph after that and struggled at that. I managed to get to a gas station. 1 tow truck, 1 rental car and now $1500 to replace the "wave plates" and "wave housing". additional note - the car broke down in August 2012 as well. In that incident the water pump had to be replaced.

- Brookfield, CT, USA

Oct 242012

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while parked the driver noticed smoke and flames emmiting from the engine compartment. The fire department was called to the scene and a report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an auto shop. The insurance company had the vehicle inspected but they were unable to determine the cause of the fire. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- Elkins Park, PA, USA

Aug 252012

Acadia 6-cyl

My friends and I left a store and was pulling out onto a busy route. Speed limit is posted as 45 mph. I was idling at the stop sign waiting for a vehicle to pass. When it did I pulled out into traffic. I gently pressed on the accelerator and that is when I felt the truck jerk and then the pedal was floored!!! I was not doing this!!!! I was in amongst the traffic, trying to Dodge others, and then I tried to turn my truck off. I couldn't do it. It was not allowing me to and the speed had increased dramatically!!! I reached down and was messing with the accelerator hoping to pull it up from the floor. The accelerator was completely pressed into the floor as if someone glued it there. I crossed over 3 lanes of traffic trying to Dodge vehicles and trying to prevent a crash. I finally managed to free the accelerator. It freaks me out when I drive now, .

- Farmer City, IL, USA

Jul 252012

Acadia 6-cyl

I bought my GMC Acadia in February and have had it at the dealership I know 15+ times. Everything is wrong with it. It started off that it was the stability track and stability control censors, then it went to both rear wheel bearings replace, bypassing the wiring (because GM) told the dealership to bypass the factory wiring and build a new harness for the wiring, several other things wrong, and now the transmission!!!! what will happen next!!! so many people are having major issues with the Acadia. Not dependable nor safe for me nor my family!!!!!

- Pulaski, TN, USA

Jul 132012

Acadia 6-cyl

My Acadia's transmission failed (the 3, 5, R wave plate) while 4 hours from home. It has now been at the dealership for 22 days... the transmission has been taken out 3 times and still can't "get it right". this is a huge mess that GM has not handled well at all. They will not let the dealership put a new transmission in it. They can't tell me when my car will even be ready... there are 4 other Acadia's at the dealership with the same problem.... just google GMC Acadia transmission problems and you will see that I am not alone..... thank you for any help you can provide.

- Pulaski, TN, USA