CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 082008

Acadia 6-cyl

I was taking my daughter to Florida for cheer leading competition; I was just outside of Illinois when the check airbag light and message screen came on thankfully the light went off but came back on on our way back to Chicago and kept coming on and off. Took it to dealer but they only said that the harness was tight they only wiggled it and light went off but came back a couple of days later. Then the power steering started making noise dealer said they didn't hear anything and didn't do anything and noise is getting louder. Then suspension stared it making noise. Took it to dealer and had tie rods replaced. Then the service airbag problem came back and this time didn't go away. Took it to the dealer and they said that the harness was to tight and they rerouted it so it wasn't tight anymore. Worked for a couple of days and its on again but I didn't take it back and now is past its warranty.then head lamp went out. Had to pay dealer $180 (rip off) next the other head light went out. My nephew replaced it in less than 10 min. Now there is a recall for that head light problem. Then wipers arm came loose from motor I had my cousin fix it for me. Now I have had the check engine light on for a couple of weeks took it to autozone came back with the code to replace the canister purge solenoid now I have the transmission problem, it started to act funny shifting pretty hard some times and then a few days ago I was driving on the freeway coming home when I notice the rpms at about 45000 and it wouldn't change gears and the fuel gauge started going nuts I don't know why and had to drive it home on the same gear. Took it to autozone and came back with the same code for the solenoid plus P0700/P0716/P0717 for the transmission. Now my Acadia is just sitting on my driveway no money to fix it and driving my 15 year old truck hoping GMC does something about this nightmare

- Northlake, IL, USA

Nov 192012

Acadia 6-cyl

Daylight running lights overheat both driver and passenger sides. There is evidence that both bulb sockets have overheated and the light housing has cracked from the overheating. With the bulb and socket overheating this has the possibility of causing a fire, with evidence being the cracked lamp housing form the heat. I have replaced the bulbs on both sides always using dielectric grease. I have owned this car since 2010 and replaced the right side bulb 3 times and now on the left side 4 times. There is a factory recall on other year models but not on the 2008 GMC Acadia slt-2 having every bell and whistle. It was Monday, Nov. 19, 2012 when this electrical system failure happened again.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Nov 012011

Acadia 6-cyl

My vehicle has an issue with the daytime driving lights and headlights. The lights have failed multiple times due to the bulb melting into, and fusing to, the headlight assembly. This created a condition where the entire headlight assembly needs to be replaced. This includes the lens piece, the bulb, and the wiring connector. This is an issue at night (no/misaligned headlights), the loss of the benefit of daytime driving lights, and I imagine a possible fire.

- Newport Coast, CA, USA

Aug 262012

Acadia 6-cyl

While it was raining outside, I was sitting in the back seat and happened to look up and saw water/ rain trickling out from around the rear interior overhead light, it was also coming in around the sensor in the overhead. The trickle eventually slowed down to a drip. In my opinion, water and electricity don't mix.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Aug 072012

Acadia 6-cyl

The drl went out and we took it to the dealer to be replaced. They said the housing around the wiring/light had melted and we would need to replace the entire housing at a cost of $1,100. They stated it was a fire hazard. I am out of warranty and see that this is a common issue.

- Lehi, UT, USA

Jul 022012

Acadia 6-cyl

I replaced the driver side daytime running lamp and 8 days later replaced passenger side daytime running lamp. The last bulb replaced was on the passenger side and now is burned out again less than three weeks later. There is evidence on both bulb connectors of overheating. Dielectric grease has been used everytime bulbs have been changed through out the life of the vehicle. To the best of my knowledge, any time there is overheating on an electrical circuit further problems could arise. There is a factory recall on other year models but not on the 2008 GMC Acadia slt-2 having every bell & whistle along with higher price tag than lesser trim packages.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Mar 012012

Acadia 6-cyl

Low beam headlight out. Have changed twice within a 2 month period. Second time I changed it went out the very next day.

- Molena, GA, USA

Apr 012010

Acadia 6-cyl

Headlight failure due to faulty wiring in headlight assembly.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 222011

Acadia 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight doesn't work. Connector is burnt. Appears to be electrical problem and requires entire head light unit to be replaced. Not covered under extended warranty. Cost is ~$600.

- Patriot, OH, USA

Jul 222011

Acadia

2008 Acadia. Low beam lights suddenly stop operating while driving. Severe safety hazard. GMC forums on internet show hundreds of consumers experiencing same issue. Our low beam drivers side went out. Low beam passenger side two days later. Due to poor engineering, the lights cannot be accessed without removing the bumper or tires. Not a bulb issue. Problem with melted wiring harness. There was no to way replace the wiring harness without splicing the wiring and installing an aftermarket connector part. Possible fire hazard as the bulbs are too hot for the current wiring. The harness replacement will only fail again because the wiring cannot handle the heat. This issue can leave you stranded on a dark road at night with no headlamps that may just suddenly go out. This is a potentially serious and deadly problem. According to the many forums, this is a common issue on Acadias and Saturn outlooks.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jul 202011

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated the wiring for the headlights was melting and caused the headlights to shut off. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated the wiring for the headlights was not covered by the warranty. The failure and current mileage was 45,000.

- Elizebeth, CO, USA

Feb 012010

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated the front driver side low beam headlight would no longer illuminate. While replacing the headlight himself, the contact noticed the wiring harness was melted. The contact stated he was able to rewire the wiring harness to repair the headlight. Approximately one year later, the failure recurred on the front passenger side headlight. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the wiring harness for the passenger side headlight was melted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Gadsden, AL, USA

Mar 152011

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving my 2008 GMC Acadia slt in the evening, and when I switched from high beams to low beams, everything went black. I thought maybe my bulbs had burnt out, so took it to the dealership the next day. To my surprise, they discovered that the bulbs had melted the connectors, as well as the wiring harness, and everything has to be replaced.

- Junction City, KS, USA

Nov 202010

Acadia

My 2008 GMC Acadia passenger side head light went out about 2 months ago. I purchased a replacement light bulb and took it to my mechanic. When he took apart the compartment where the light is he found that the wiring harness that plugs into the bulb was completely burned and melted. There was no way of replacing the wiring harness without splicing the wiring and installing an aftermarket connector part. This weekend the drivers side bulb was out and again we had it taken apart only to find the identical problem with that bulb. In addition he checked on the other one just to see how it was working and found that the bulb is again getting too hot for the wiring and will likely burn up the harness again. The vehicle has been recalled for 2 electrical issues, the most recent being a circuit that could over heat and cause a fire. In addition to the headlight issues I have had my passenger side rear window wont roll down and the power rear hatch has started to malfunction and closes at random and if not careful will smash you if you are under it.

- Duquesne, PA, USA

Aug 052010

Acadia

I own a 2008 GMC Acadia with melting headlights. The plastic housing is melting and the bulbs are melting into the sockets. I have had problems for many months with the electrical system including replacing 3 batteries in 1 1/2 years. I have had the vehicle checked by the dealer which finds "no problem" with the electrical system, and no explanation for the battery life. With intense heat that would be necessary to cause this socket to melt, metal and all, is of great concern, and is a potential fire hazard. This vehicle also was involved in a recent recall for possible fire with heated windshield wipers (now disconnected). Hopefully, this can be investigated, so that no one gets hurt.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Jul 152009

Acadia

My daughter sliced her hand on the jewel lamp inside edge of the rear taillight assembly on our 2008 GMC Acadia while getting in and out of the hatchback. I will try and sand it down, but the plastic edge from the mold is very sharp.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA