Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jul 312012

Acadia 6-cyl

I have been very disappointed with my vehicle! when I was in the market for a new vehicle I new I wanted the Acadia. I have been a long time customer at my local dealership and when I arrived at the lot they had just brought in a 2008 that had one owner. I was ecstatic because it was everything I could want and not as expensive as a 2012. When I first started driving it was great I loved it! I bought the car with 8,000 or so miles on it and as time went on I started to notice that it wasn't driving like it did the first day I bought it. I drive to and from work 5 days week roughly 35 miles a day. I was in town at the bank and as I started to pull out into the lane my RPM's went sky high and wouldn't come back down and I could not accelerate. I was so scared I pulled over in the next available spot and turned off the car. I waited for 5 minutes, turned it back on and proceeded to pull into traffic. Ever since that day my car has been in the shop twice for transmission issues. I currently have 29,000 miles on the car and it drives like crap! I have it aligned, tires rotated, and I cannot get a smooth ride. The steering wheel shimmies over 50 mph, shimmies when I hit the breaks, my heater doesn't seem to work well unless it is on 85 way too hot. I now have to take the car back into the shop yet again for the same thing transmission failure, alignment off, and who knows what else. I read a lot reviews on this model and seems as though we have all experienced the same issues. I have been a long time Pontiac/GMC buyer and I am very disappointed in GM for not taking this transmission thing serious. How many more complaints do you need to receive before something is done" fatal accident" in which case I hope it isn't me but also nobody else. Please fix this issue it has been a thorn for some time and it's about time that GM do something about it!

- Rolling Prairie, IN, USA

May 252009

Acadia 6-cyl

Multiple problems with this vehicle. It has been in the shop more than 10 times in the past 4 years that I have owned it, frustrating. List of repairs: Timing belt, head lights, steering, camshaft, oil leak, struts, brakes and this is what I can recall mostly.this vehicle has had multiple services especially for service stability track that never gets repaired, they can't find the problem. Also service air bag keeps coming on but dealership cannot do anything while the light is not on. Very frustrated with this vehicle. I have never experienced so many repairs and services with any other vehicle as I have the Acadia. I owned a galant car before the Acadia for 5 years and only had to do one repair in those 5 years I owned it. I regret purchasing this vehicle! I am a single mother of two and I need a dependable vehicle not one that is malfunctioned!

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 042013

Acadia 6-cyl

My wife was driving the vehicle and approached a stop sign. Once she tried going again the car would not accelerate and we had to tow it to the dealer. They said the transmission went out @ 68,000 miles? also the waterpump, powersteering pump. Master cylinder, as well as something with an air bag connector. The air bag connector has been going on and off for the last two years since we bought it two years ago as a GM certified pre-owned vehicle. I am not sure how this vehicle has not been recalled.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Dec 202012

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while making a turn at 25 mph, the steering failed. The vehicle was merged to the shoulder and restarted then operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 84,400.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Jan 142013

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized an abnormal noise sounded from the steering unit. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the electronic power steering module and the rods within the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 16,000.

- Codi, WY, USA

Dec 082008

Acadia 6-cyl

I was taking my daughter to Florida for cheer leading competition; I was just outside of Illinois when the check airbag light and message screen came on thankfully the light went off but came back on on our way back to Chicago and kept coming on and off. Took it to dealer but they only said that the harness was tight they only wiggled it and light went off but came back a couple of days later. Then the power steering started making noise dealer said they didn't hear anything and didn't do anything and noise is getting louder. Then suspension stared it making noise. Took it to dealer and had tie rods replaced. Then the service airbag problem came back and this time didn't go away. Took it to the dealer and they said that the harness was to tight and they rerouted it so it wasn't tight anymore. Worked for a couple of days and its on again but I didn't take it back and now is past its warranty.then head lamp went out. Had to pay dealer $180 (rip off) next the other head light went out. My nephew replaced it in less than 10 min. Now there is a recall for that head light problem. Then wipers arm came loose from motor I had my cousin fix it for me. Now I have had the check engine light on for a couple of weeks took it to autozone came back with the code to replace the canister purge solenoid now I have the transmission problem, it started to act funny shifting pretty hard some times and then a few days ago I was driving on the freeway coming home when I notice the rpms at about 45000 and it wouldn't change gears and the fuel gauge started going nuts I don't know why and had to drive it home on the same gear. Took it to autozone and came back with the same code for the solenoid plus P0700/P0716/P0717 for the transmission. Now my Acadia is just sitting on my driveway no money to fix it and driving my 15 year old truck hoping GMC does something about this nightmare

- Northlake, IL, USA

Feb 202013

Acadia 6-cyl

Parts inside the power steering pump destroyed causing metal filings in the power steering fluid. The filings caused the the rack and pinion system to fail resulting in a complete loss of power steering.the vehicle became extremely hard to steer and is a major safety issue that needs to be addressed! there is no recall on this and undoubtably will result in fatalities.research I have done says this is a common problem. Please take action!

- Watertown, SD, USA

Dec 312012

Acadia 6-cyl

GMC says powersteering rack is cracked in my truck. They told me that because my truck is an "older" model that does not have the redesigned steering assembly in it, my truck repairs are not covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. They also acknowledge this is a common problem with the 2008-2009 Acadia models and all the problems seem to happen right around the 50K mile marker, but no recall has been issued. I've visited countless websites and read hundreds of comments from people with the same exact problem I'm having yet GMC refuses to correct what is clearly a mistake on their part in the design of their vehicle. I've also read comments from people who had the scary result of total powersteering loss as a result of this issue. There is no doubt in my mind if I lost powersteering in my truck while driving I would crash with my two kids in the backseat. After many different phone calls within the GMC corporation, I was basically told this is not their problem and there would be no further communication to me at all. When I stated that I would be looking into other avenues to file a complaint, I was told that because I was considering filing a complaint, my case is now closed and the guy hung up on me. I am beyond frustrated with GMC. I love my truck, but do not have the money to fix this issue and I don't feel I should have to fix their safety defect. I'd love to speak to someone about how to get this changed so either the warranty picks it up or a recall is issued.

- Brandy Station, VA, USA

Nov 052012

Acadia 6-cyl

The power steering stopped working while driving and I had to complete emergency maneuvers to get the car off of the road.

- Atlantic Beach, NC, USA

Nov 162012

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, he heard a loud pop from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where they advised him that the rack and pinion failed and needed to be replaced. The rack and pinion, steering shaft and the steering column were replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and offered financial assistance with the repairs. The failure mileage was approximately 21,015. The current mileage was approximately 21,150. Updated 01/29/13 updated 01/30/2013

- Alexandria, LA, USA

Sep 012012

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering is failing, this a wide spread problem across the entire GM "lambda" platform and should warrant a recall. Affected parts are the power steering pump and steering rack, cause of the problem according to GM was use of incorrect fluid from the factory. The fix is to replace the pump and the rack ($2,000) and upgrade the fluid to dextron vi. For GM to expect out of warranty customers to be on the hook for the high cost of this repair is completely unfair and unacceptable.

- Downey, CA, USA

Aug 272012

Acadia 6-cyl

On the first occurrence I was starting to accelerate to about 20 mph after being stopped at a red light and my power steering went out and I could not accelerate. I was barely able to steer my car off the highway and just missed hitting a tree and going in a ditch and my 2 children were in the back seat. I had the vehicle towed to the local dealership but there were no error codes showing on their computer. I have since had this happen 4 more times and the last time almost ended in a head-on collision with my children in the car. I had the car towed again for the 5th time to the dealership and the power steering finally went out on them while they were test driving my car. However, the computer still did not show any error codes after this happened. As of today, which is 3 weeks later, I still do not have my car and the dealership doesn't know what to do because there are no error codes eventhough the power steering keeps failing on them. I am frustrated and aggravated and after reading online at how many other drivers have experienced this exact same issue I am disgusted that GM has done absolutely nothing to fix this serious issue.

- Daphne, AL, USA

May 202012

Acadia 6-cyl

At approx. 64,860 power steering started making a whining noise that kept getting louder and louder.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jul 052012

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving vehicle at 30mph North bound. Started making right turn (steering became very difficult) loss of power steering.

- North Aurora, IL, USA

May 232012

Acadia 6-cyl

The first time the power steering went out on this vehicle, we were attempting to make a left hand turn from a busy road crossing on-coming traffic. The immediate loss of power steering required me to use all of my arm strength to manually turn the wheel, forcing me to make an extremely wide turn onto a side street. Power steering has since come and gone at speeds lower than 25 mph when making turns. We have taken this vehicle to our GMC dealership three times for diagnosis and expensive repairs. Despite these repeated trips and repairs to fix the problem, the power steering still goes out or is stiff. Dealership blames GM and the design of the 2008 Acadia's power steering system.

- Spring Lake, MI, USA

Jul 022012

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering will stop working for several seconds during turns especially at slow speeds or when turning in or out of parking spaces. Very difficult to steer.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Dec 202011

Acadia 6-cyl

On multiple occasions, after driving through puddles or in wet weather, the power steering stops working making it extremely difficult to steer, nearly causing a crash. This has happened on multiple occasions.

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Jun 252011

Acadia 6-cyl

I have had the rack & pinion steering rack replaced 2 times since I've owned the vehicle (bought new in July 2008) dealership replaced both after getting ugly with them, now at 75,000 miles transmission went out, replaced it. Got it back from dealer and now the steering locks up when turning, usually happens when taking off from a stop and then it finally unlocks as your trying to turn with excessive force. Feels like the power steering just goes out for a few seconds and then comes back. Have just dealt with it last few weeks, but now after not able to turn and hit a curb while turning, there is obviously something defective. Doing research on this there is numerous complaints about the steering locking up, this is very dangerous if its defective. Paying 45K for a vehicle you shouldn't have to argue with the dealer on replacing this part. Is there something being done to fix this issue. I have almost come to a decision that GM doesn't stand behind their product and have about given up on them.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jul 202011

Acadia 6-cyl

At approx. 62,000 power steering started making a whining noise that kept getting louder and louder. Took to the dealer and they repaired/replaced the rack that they said was starting to go bad. It was covered under the GM certified used warranty and they told me that it was a known issue with these and should be all set. Now, about a year later (warranty expired-power steering is not considered powertrain...) the same noise and high effort to turn steering wheel is happening again. They now say that the power steering pump is going and there is a blown gasket in the steering column causing a leak of steering fluid which is causing the whine. They say that the repair is going to cost me over $750. GMC needs to announce a recall for this issue, or at least issue a notice for dealers to repair this issue when it arises. I'm one of the lucky ones that did not have the system fail when driving. I could probably recover if it did, I'm just glad my wife wasn't driving it with my children when it decided to fail!! I know of at least two other owners that had this same issue, when will GM step up and take care of this issue"!"!

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Dec 082011

Acadia 6-cyl

Our vehicle has had the air bag service light on for a very long time, when we got the recall notice, we took it in to the dealership and they stated that our vehicle was fine and our light was caused by a different problem. As time has gone by, it has done the rest of the items listed on the recall such as on/off light remaining off with a passenger in the seat and now it actually flashes back and forth with or without a passenger. Our power steering has been making a whine sound since 2009. It has only worsened over time and now has depreciated our vehicles value for a trade-in. We are completely dissatified with the quality of vehicle we have gotten. I would not recommend an Acadia based on the reliability of GMC and the lack of responsibility to fix problems that are obviously on the manufacturing end. We know several others having the same problem with 2008 Acadia and have found many forums of people discussing their issues and it appears that the 2008 has the greatest amount of issues. We have been advised to seek legal action.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA